Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:25:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Witness

Started by Cerys, February 28, 2019, 09:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Who else has lost hours to this, only to complete it and then discover that there is so much more to find?  I swear, I've been seeing squiggly shapes everywhere I go.  If I ever meet Jonathan Blow I honestly don't know if I'm going to kiss him or punch him repeatedly in the face.

St_Eddie

I keep meaning to get around to this, as I love a good puzzler, me.  It's definitely something that I'll play at some point down the road.  The only thing putting me off slightly is that it looks somewhat repetitive.  Also, it looks somewhat repetitive.

Quote from: Cerys on February 28, 2019, 09:17:45 PM
If I ever meet Jonathan Blow I honestly don't know if I'm going to kiss him or punch him repeatedly in the face.

I would have thought that the appropriate response was contained within his name.

Jonathan him, Cerys.

Golden E. Pump

Apparently this is one of the free games on PS Plus for March so I may have to check it out.

biggytitbo

Do you get to see Kelly mcgillis' tits in it?

Cerys

You'll have to play it to find out - I'm saying nothing.

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 28, 2019, 11:57:34 PMThe only thing putting me off slightly is that it looks somewhat repetitive.  Also, it looks somewhat repetitive.

It's repetitive in the way a Sudoku book is repetitive.  Not that the puzzles are Sudoku.  The point is, it has over five hundred puzzles - but you have to figure out how the puzzles work, and even if it looks as if they're all the same, believe me - they're not.  And then there are the hidden shapes, which are so unbelievably sneaky I've been torn between abject frustration and heartfelt worship of the mind that devised them.

Jerzy Bondov

It's very clever the way it takes such a simple concept and then changes it in each area. Plus the hidden stuff. However I found it got way too much like hard work after a certain point and then I read that later on you have to do puzzles under time pressure so I dropped it. I'm too thick.

Cerys

The time pressure thing is only really necessary if you want to get the Challenge ending, or 100% completion.  You can avoid it if you'd rather.

brat-sampson

I think I made a thread for this when it first came out. Needless to say it's one of my fav. puzzle games of all time and was my GOTY for 2016.

There really is just a huge amount to discover, and the way you develop and progress and gradually modify and adjust your interpretation and understanding of what's presented to you is sublime.

St_Eddie

What's the narrative like?  Is it told entirely through the environment or are there cutscenes/diaries/audio logs and the like, which inform you of the story?  For that matter, is there even a narrative?  I'm not sure that I would care to play an adventure game without any kind of narrative.

Cerys

The narrative is whatever you decide has happened, based on your surroundings.  There are no other characters.  You can find some audio and video recordings, but they don't tell you a story unless you choose to interpret them that way.

Kryton

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 01, 2019, 12:07:32 PM
What's the narrative like?  Is it told entirely through the environment or are there cutscenes/diaries/audio logs and the like, which inform you of the story?  For that matter, is there even a narrative?  I'm not sure that I would care to play an adventure game without any kind of narrative.

If I recall there's not much narrative but there's some recorded philosophical ramblings and notes and such about life, the universe etc....

I enjoyed the game, it was beautiful and clever, but I got bored of it quite quickly.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cerys on March 01, 2019, 12:14:24 PM
The narrative is whatever you decide has happened, based on your surroundings.  There are no other characters.  You can find some audio and video recordings, but they don't tell you a story unless you choose to interpret them that way.

Well, that's disappointing.  I'll probably still give it a go but I'd be lying if I said the lack of narrative hasn't put me off playing it.

Quote from: Kryton on March 01, 2019, 12:15:35 PM
If I recall there's not much narrative but there's some recorded philosophical ramblings and notes and such about life, the universe etc....

Oh.

That could just as easily describe Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy.

Timothy

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 01, 2019, 01:36:10 PM
Well, that's disappointing.  I'll probably still give it a go but I'd be lying if I said the lack of narrative hasn't put me off playing it.

Why? It's a great great great great puzzle game. Narrative is not important here.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on March 01, 2019, 01:41:53 PM
Why? It's a great great great great puzzle game. Narrative is not important here.

I don't doubt that it's a great game and one which I'll likely play.  It's just that narrative is fairly high up on my list of things that I look for in an adventure game, pretty much equal to the puzzles themselves.  For example, I have no time for things such as Telltale's The Walking Dead series because it focuses on narrative but completely jettisons the puzzle aspect.  I'm similarly left a bit cold by a game which is all puzzles and has virtually no narrative.

madhair60

Get yourself on the fucking Professor Layton, mate. BRO-FRIEND-SIR MATEon more like.

Timothy

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 01, 2019, 02:49:48 PM
I don't doubt that it's a great game and one which I'll likely play.  It's just that narrative is fairly high up on my list of things that I look for in an adventure game, pretty much equal to the puzzles themselves.  For example, I have no time for things such as Telltale's The Walking Dead series because it focuses on narrative but completely jettisons the puzzle aspect.  I'm similarly left a bit cold by a game which is all puzzles and has virtually no narrative.

If you have a PS4 I would like to recommend you the Nonary Games. Amazing story and quite difficult puzzles. Think you would love that game. (I did)
Around 20 euros right now. Worth it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I heard this southern baptist preacher type, who seemed very enthusiastic to purchase a copy.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on March 01, 2019, 02:58:50 PM
If you have a PS4 I would like to recommend you the Nonary Games. Amazing story and quite difficult puzzles. Think you would love that game. (I did)
Around 20 euros right now. Worth it.

Sadly, I do not own a PS4.  Once the PS5 comes out and the price for the PS4 drops significantly, I'll upgrade from my PS3 and I may check out Nonary Games based upon your recommendation.  Although a quick look on Google Images did nothing for me, with its Anime style (including scantily clad women).  I'm more of a LucasArts/Sierra kind of a guy (with any strong female characters preferably keeping their clothes on).  Having said that, in regards to Japanese adventures, I recently downloaded Forgotten Anne, which is an adventure game done in the style of Studio Ghibli and it looks sublime.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 01, 2019, 03:47:35 PM
strong female characters keeping their clothes on

SJW!!! SJW!!!!!!! GET 'IM, BOYS!!!!!!!

St_Eddie

Timothy

If you enjoyed the old Sierra games and enjoy puzzles then the Nonary Games is the game for you. Don't let your Googling fool you: It's a great, very tense, murder mystery.
It's also available for the Nintendo DS and PC and is regarded as one of the best new visual novel / adventure games ever made. There is a PC demo if I'm correct.

Also recommend Broken Age, the Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle remakes and obviously Thimbleweed Park. Latter is from the original creators of Monkey Island. Great throwback to the old point n click adventure days.

And 428 Shibuya Scramble ofcourse. Check the thread for more info.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on March 01, 2019, 04:17:36 PM
If you enjoyed the old Sierra games and enjoy puzzles then the Nonary Games is the game for you. Don't let your Googling fool you: It's a great, very tense, murder mystery.
It's also available for the Nintendo DS and PC and is regarded as one of the best new visual novel / adventure games ever made. There is a PC demo if I'm correct.

Oh, it's available for PC too?  In that case, I shall absolutely check it out.  My PC was able to run the Resident Evil 2 remake, so Nonary Games shouldn't be an issue.

Quote from: Timothy on March 01, 2019, 04:17:36 PMAlso recommend Broken Age, the Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle remakes and obviously Thimbleweed Park. Latter is from the original creators of Monkey Island. Great throwback to the old point n click adventure days.

Heh.  As an adventure game aficionado, I already own and have played all of those, several times times over in fact.  Just to give you an idea...

And yes, in spite of saying I prefer strong female characters in my adventure games, who don't resort taking their clothes off, that is Plumbers Don't Wear Ties in my ScummVM list.

Quote from: Timothy on March 01, 2019, 04:17:36 PMAnd 428 Shibuya Scramble ofcourse. Check the thread for more info.

Will do.  Ta.

Timothy

Ha. Would have expected you to played most or all of those already.

I kinda miss those old times where the point n click games were still in fashion. Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Police Quest, Space Quest etc etc.

Seems that Return to Obra Dinn is suppose to be a great game but don't know if I can get use to that graphic style.
Any other recommendations?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Timothy on March 01, 2019, 04:57:54 PM
Seems that Return to Obra Dinn is suppose to be a great game but don't know if I can get use to that graphic style.

It's a fantastic game, with an ingenious puzzle mechanic but then again, I adore the retro Macintosh aesthetic.

Quote from: Timothy on March 01, 2019, 04:57:54 PMAny other recommendations?

Oh, man.  Where to begin?!  My absolute favourite adventure games would probably be...

Day of the Tentacle
The Monkey Island Series
The Gabriel Knight Series
The Longest Journey Series
What Remains of Edith Finch
Thimbleweed Park
The Tex Murphy Series
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
The King's Quest Series
Beneath a Steel Sky
The Broken Sword Series
Sam and Max Hit the Road
The Dig
Grim Fandango
The Last Door
The Sexy Brutale
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
The Ben Jordan Case Files
Kathy Rain
Dropsy
Fran Bow
Machinarium
The 7th Guest
Toonstruck

...they're kinda obvious choices I suppose, but they're obvious for a reason.

Head Gardener

just started this today - am loving it, have had this music on in the background which helped too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TElVxwhwOO0

Lee Van Cleef

I bloody love this game. Did everything it had, I removed the first time I saw something curious while wandering around, tested, and then "whoosh". Wish I could wipe my memory and play it again because that first time feeling it gives you a few times was wonderful. And the challenge hall...

One of the best games I've ever played.

Cerys

It really is brilliant.  I'd never heard of it, and then SNG downloaded it because:

QuoteI knew it would be catnip for you.

I knew there was a reason I married him.

Cerys

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 01, 2019, 08:02:01 PM
just started this today - am loving it, have had this music on in the background which helped too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TElVxwhwOO0

How's it going?

Head Gardener

Quote from: Cerys on March 05, 2019, 07:04:00 AM
How's it going?

well to be honest, I'm struggling. It's great having the freedom to flit about (I love open world games) but some of the puzzles
seem to be a bit repetitive and perplexing - maybe I'm just a bit thick, I keep getting my lad to help me and he tells me how much
of a spazz I am and proceeds to solve whatever maze on a stick I'm on and then wanders off shaking his head, but I'm sticking with it!