Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Jackson canceled (new documentary)

Started by popcorn, March 01, 2019, 10:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

There's a new documentary out this week (Channel 4 and HBO), Leaving Neverland, in which two men, Wade Robson and James Safechuck, describe how Michael Jackson abused them as kids.

I've long had a morbid fascination with Michael Jackson, as I've posted about before, but it wasn't until a few months ago that I educated myself about the ins and outs (erm) of the sexual abuse allegations. As far as I can tell, the long and short of it is that he could well have done it, but that there's no evidence and many of the witnesses were extraordinarily dubious. It seems like the innocent verdict was the right one because there was no shortage of reasonable doubt - but at the same time who knows, eh?

I think there's every chance he was a wrongun, and that perhaps the fact that he was surrounded in untrustworthy showbiz people ended up working in his favour. When it came to the crunch, no one believed them.

This story is especially tricky because one of the accusers in the film, Robson, testified in the 2005 trial that Jackson had never abused him. Then he had a breakdown and changed his story. Early reviews say the testimony in the documentary is compelling and we're all going to have to stop listening to Michael Jackson. Strangely, many of the pieces that have cropped up around it seem to have been written by people who haven't seen the documentary yet. A random smattering:

Guardian: Is it still OK to listen to Michael Jackson?

Guardian: R Kelly, Michael Jackson and Bryan Singer. Who knew? Everyone

Slate: How Leaving Neverland Does a Disservice to Michael Jackson's Accusers (one of a series of Slate articles)

Forbes: What You Should Know About the New Michael Jackson Documentary (article summarising reasons not to trust the accusers, but written by someone who hasn't seen the film, and obviously fancies MJ)

This interview exchange with the director made me laugh, sorry:

QuoteJEZEBEL: As a filmmaker it must be strange that the effectiveness of your work is determined by how hard to watch it is.

DAN REED: Rather than the duration, you're probably talking about the graphic sexual abuse.

biggytitbo

Be interesting if this is the final nail in the coffin, considering its being public knowledge for a long time now that Jackson was a predatory paedophile. I think it's just one of those things a lot of people don't want to believe.

ToneLa

Obviously I've seen chat on social media and the like calling this a stitch up with such brilliant logic as 'they missed their chance to come forward as a kid, in thrall to the world famous abuser bribing their family' (my paraphrase)

Kalabi

Has anybody else heard that anecdote about him having a dinner party, and everyone feels really awkward when he brings in his monkey and he's had its arse shaved?

Ferris

I've seen a fair amount of buzz for this - I'd be interested to watch it but I'm worried it'd be super fucking grim. Is it out yet, and if so what's the verdict?

idunnosomename

His brothers said they won't watch the documentary because he'd never do such things!

Well there you go.

biggytitbo

Quote from: ToneLa on March 01, 2019, 10:53:47 AM
Obviously I've seen chat on social media and the like calling this a stitch up with such brilliant logic as 'they missed their chance to come forward as a kid, in thrall to the world famous abuser bribing their family' (my paraphrase)

Except lots of them did, we must be in double digits of separate unrelated people that have accused him over the years, plus all the weird shit they found at Neverland and that period of time he was openly flouting the fact he was essentially going out with a boy - taking him to the music award ceremony and sharing a room with him.

The generic response from Jackson supporters is always 'money grabbing', and they're trying it again now but it looks like an increasingly forlorn deflection strategy.

Konki

I can't remember where I heard it but apparently his high, Mickey Mouse speaking voice was a put on and in private he spoke in a deep baritone. Hopefully this documentary covers this dubious bit of gossip.

Replies From View

I always feel aggrieved that due to present sensibilities I can no longer enjoy Jimmy Savile's backlog of brilliant appearances on various television programmes from the past.

Ferris

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 01, 2019, 11:13:14 AM

Except lots of them did, we must be in double digits of separate unrelated people that have accused him over the years, plus all the weird shit they found at Neverland and that period of time he was openly flouting the fact he was essentially going out with a boy - taking him to the music award ceremony and sharing a room with him.

The generic response from Jackson supporters is always 'money grabbing', and they're trying it again now but it looks like an increasingly forlorn deflection strategy.

Well, the fact he had Neverland in the first place is a bit suspect.

Jerzy Bondov

I'd come to accept that we were all perfectly happy to sit around listening to a sexual predator imploring us to 'beat it' just so long as it had a fucking ripping bassline.

ToneLa

popcorn

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 01, 2019, 11:15:38 AM
I'd come to accept that we were all perfectly happy to sit around listening to a sexual predator imploring us to 'beat it' just so long as it had a fucking ripping bassline.

He's got a song called Do You Know Where Your Children Are?.

popcorn

Quote from: Konki on March 01, 2019, 11:13:41 AM
I can't remember where I heard it but apparently his high, Mickey Mouse speaking voice was a put on and in private he spoke in a deep baritone. Hopefully this documentary covers this dubious bit of gossip.

There are a few clips on YouTube of MJ's "real speaking voice" but I've always found them a bit unconvincing. All right, so he occasionally sounded a bit deeper, but if I'd recorded thousands of hours of interviews in my life you'd probably find a few moments where I sounded Mickey Mouse-like too.

There's a song on his last album, 2000 Watts, where he sings in a low voice and it sounds completely unlike him. If you google this MJ fansites all say it's just because he was the greatest singer ever, but I've always wondered if they just digitally altered it. I created this mockup of Smooth Criminal with the formant lowered as a proof of concept. Doesn't sound as smooth, but I did it in 30 seconds, there's a lot of other garbage in the recording, and I'm shit.

popcorn

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 01, 2019, 11:09:36 AM
I've seen a fair amount of buzz for this - I'd be interested to watch it but I'm worried it'd be super fucking grim. Is it out yet, and if so what's the verdict?

Out this weekend on HBO and early next week on C4.

ToneLa

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 01, 2019, 11:14:30 AM
Well, the fact he had Neverland in the first place is a bit suspect.

Oh, so that's how it is now? You can't even spend millions building a theme park mansion complete with toys, games and rides, with several secluded bedrooms to lure kids into, without being painted as some kind of nonce?

... Seems fair actually

daf

Quote from: popcorn on March 01, 2019, 12:31:13 PM
Available for a knockdown price all of a sudden. Perhaps this was the accusers' endgame.

Why aren't his kids & missus* rolling around in it?

They didn't sling everyone out of Graceland when Elvin Stardust carked it!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
* Either Lisa Marie or Debbie . . . Rowe? - I'm not fussy.
also just had a quick look at what his kids look like now . . . .  there's zero chance any of them came out of Jaxo's cock!

I wonder who's most depraved: Jacko or Cliff?

gilbertharding

St_Eddie

He was a peadofile, as far as I'm concerned.  I've spent countless hours researching this and some of the evidence is incredibly difficult to refute, to the point of it not even really being a question of 'if' but rather 'to what extent'.  In the past, I've put forth my evidence on this forum, so I'm not going to repeat it here because it takes an absolute age to source all said evidence and it's only in aid of simply attempting to convince the naysayers of what I already know and even then, fans are generally inclined to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la la la la.  Not listening".  Hopefully this documentary will do a decent job of putting forth the evidence which I've already read up on (and no, I'm not talking about spurious allegations from people looking to make a quick buck through a settlement).

Either way, there's no denying that Jackson was a very damaged human being, due to his traumatic and abusive upbringing.  Naturally that doesn't excuse any paedophilic behaviour but it's always important to empathetically look to the reasons as to why someone becomes a peadophile in the first place.

biggytitbo

He was chemically castrated though wasn't he?

"If they say why, why? Tell 'em that it's human nature."

Well it's not, Jacko, you sick fuck.

Well he did say, in that Thriller video, 'I'm not like other guys.'

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 01, 2019, 01:07:04 PM
He was chemically castrated though wasn't he?

If that is true, then it would only lower Jackson's sexual drive (to what extent is variable) but not eliminate it.

machotrouts

I have carefully considered my take on this, which is, YES he sucked off children, and YES it's fine that he did that. It's good. Thank you

biggytitbo

He was chemically castrated to maintain his higher pitched voice supposedly, by his mad dad.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 01, 2019, 01:13:59 PM
He was chemically castrated to maintain his higher pitched voice supposedly, by his mad dad.

Well, yes.  That's the unsubstantiated claim.

ToneLa

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 01, 2019, 01:13:59 PM

He uses his knob according to this documentary

Man, don't defend this nonce..

popcorn