Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Woke' parodies

Started by mippy, March 01, 2019, 12:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Apparently Titania McGrath is the creation of Jonathan Pie co-writer Andrew Doyle.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/03/04/42445/who_is_titania_mcgrath%3F

gilbertharding

I remember liking Bel Littlejohn back in the 90s. Someone else has mentioned Simon Hedges - a parodic Centrist Dad. There was another good twitter parody of one of these 'SJW types', but aimed at snagging and trolling right-wing people a few years back but I can't remember the name. /cool story

Is this just a shit version? Is it because it (seems to be) targetting actual social-liberals?

j_u_d_a_s

It's not just racist nugget lady who traded in whimsy for reactionary views, Andrew Doyle had a previous run as a blogger on Huffington Post...

The Use of 'Gay' as a Derogatory Term Should Not Be Tolerated in Our Schools
The truth is that we all tacitly accept limitations on certain forms of verbal expression for the sake of social cohesion, and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous. Most of us, for instance, are happy to modify our language in the workplace, or when out in public, because we understand that there are broadly accepted standards for polite discourse that differ from private conversation. Why should a school be any different?

Faggots, Trolls and Azealia Banks
This is the standard defence adopted by those who wish to use anti-gay language without accepting the inherent connotations. It's reminiscent of Chris Moyles's use of the word "gay" as a pejorative term on Radio 1, which was justified by the BBC governors on the grounds that the word is "often now used to mean 'lame' or 'rubbish'. This is a widespread current usage... among young people." This is certainly true. It is also the case that the bullying of gay pupils is endemic in our schools and that a large proportion of those responsible for homophobic attacks are of school-leaving age. Anyone care to connect the dots?

We all know that freedom of speech is fundamental to any democratic society. If you want to say the word "faggot" you are free to do so, but you should also accept the consequences. Don't feign surprise if people assume that you're a bigot. It's very difficult to occupy the moral high ground when you're nestling under the bridge with the trolls.

Quite.

gilbertharding

king_tubby

Yeah, often seen in tandom with Hedges, but not quite hitting as many targets.

poodlefaker

Bel Littlejohn was Craig Brown, I think. As was Wallace Arnold.

gilbertharding

Quote from: poodlefaker on March 26, 2019, 04:28:33 PM
Bel Littlejohn was Craig Brown, I think. As was Wallace Arnold.

Indeed. Wallace Arnold stopped being in the Independent on Sunday when Janet Street Porter started editing it. I think the boundary between fact and fiction went a bit blurry when she sacked him for being a reactionary fuddy-duddy and I vaguely recall his last column being quite bitter - but that would also have been in character.

She is famous for her sense of humour, of course.

About all you can find online now from Bel Littlejohn is her 'obituary' and these tributes: https://www.theguardian.com/Columnists/Column/0,5673,448928,00.html