Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:50:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Record Store Day 2019

Started by Head Gardener, March 01, 2019, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Apologies for being a bit early with posting up about this but it's just been announced that this beauty is finally coming out

purlieu

FSOL have done a new album loosely based around their track Yage which I'm sure will be excellent so I'm happy about that. But there's a CD version with two extra tracks coming out a couple of weeks after so I'll just wait for that.

Malcy

Think I'll be picking up the Mighty Boost and Fatboy Slim records. And the Erykah Badu one as well. Not had a proper look yet.

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/news/posts/2019/list-of-official-record-store-day-releases-revealed/

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Sebastian Cobb

Interested by the Aidan Moffat / RM Hubbert thing.

Head Gardener

A new book on flexi-discs - the first one ever published on the subject and to which I contributed around 75% of the discs will be available in a few weeks - pre-order if you please, thanks!

Lordofthefiles

Unbelievably I have to work on the day and my missus is away for the weekend...

I've been trying to buy Teenager of The Year by Frank Black for years online.
It almost always goes over the £80 mark everywhere I've seen it for sale - even for scuffed or imperfect copies.

Guess what's being released on RSD this year?!

Motherfuck!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on March 31, 2019, 10:59:10 PM

Motherfuck!

Is that the band name or an album title?

holyzombiejesus

It almost always goes over the £80 mark everywhere I've seen it for sale - even for scuffed or imperfect copies.

Motherfuck!

I think that a lot of the coloured vinyl releases for RSD tend to come out on black vinyl a while. Even if they don't, most things are available on ebay or discogs for sensible prices a couple of months after the day.

Twenty quid for a double 7" of The Police's Message in a Bottle. It really is shit for cunts, isn't it? There's a band called Fanfarlo who made one of my favourite records in the last 10 years. They're reissuing it as a double (with demos and b-sides) for RSD and trying to get over £40 for it, the greedy cunts. My local record shop aren't even going to stock it.

Chriddof

I don't know the full story behind this band and their decisions, but isn't part of the reason for these inflated prices down to the the sheer expense of pressing vinyl now? I've heard talk that 7 inches alone are very costly to do these days, and people try and press albums instead in a kind of possibly misguided value-for-money deal. I recall one of my favourite avant / experimental artists, Graham Lambkin, had to close down his label Kye and put everything of his on Bandcamp instead, due to both the cost and the problems of getting pressing plants to actually get round to pressing the records in a decent timeframe.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Chriddof on April 02, 2019, 01:33:27 AM
I don't know the full story behind this band and their decisions, but isn't part of the reason for these inflated prices down to the the sheer expense of pressing vinyl now? I've heard talk that 7 inches alone are very costly to do these days, and people try and press albums instead in a kind of possibly misguided value-for-money deal. I recall one of my favourite avant / experimental artists, Graham Lambkin, had to close down his label Kye and put everything of his on Bandcamp instead, due to both the cost and the problems of getting pressing plants to actually get round to pressing the records in a decent timeframe.

Quite ironic that the mad rush to get things out for RSD completely fucks distribution for lots of people then.

I've heard it's easy to get something pressed, getting it pressed well and mastered properly rather than just spat out of a digilathe is a different story. Shame as I bet a lot of the stuff for RSD (that isn't just being bought so it can be resold by gouging shitehawks) or Dark Side of the Moon represses are probably going to be played on awful crossley decks about once before the owners use the download code or spotify.

BRen

I want The Fall - Imperial Wax Solvent re-issue and the Tiny Tim - Live at the Royal Albert Hall releases, but I'm not looking forward to trying to obtain them. Moreso The Fall, certainly can't be arsed camping outside Piccadilly Records for two days waiting for them. It'll be like Mad Max on Oldham Street,

NattyDread 2

Motherfuck!

Jings! There was me thinking I'd been a bit flash with the cash by spending nearly £40 on a copy from ebay...which is twice as much as I'll usually part with for an album. Must've lucked out as it was listed as slightly marked but was minty as you like. Great album.

Is it still the case that you can only buy rsd releases online sometime after the actual day? My nearest record shop is 75 miles away, and not even participating.

Ted_Dibiase

Motherfuck!

Banquet records normally sell any leftover stock online the week after, worth trying them as you might just get lucky.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Ted_Dibiase on April 03, 2019, 12:15:52 PM
Banquet records normally sell any leftover stock online the week after, worth trying them as you might just get lucky.

Cheers will give that a try.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on April 03, 2019, 11:29:07 AM
Jings! There was me thinking I'd been a bit flash with the cash by spending nearly £40 on a copy from ebay...which is twice as much as I'll usually part with for an album. Must've lucked out as it was listed as slightly marked but was minty as you like. Great album.

Is it still the case that you can only buy rsd releases online sometime after the actual day? My nearest record shop is 75 miles away, and not even participating.

Wow! That is a stroke of luck.

I'm pretty much constantly sifting through eBay trying such searches as "Frakn Balck" and "Teenedger of the ear" in the hope someone with fat fingers and no idea has listed a copy!

It really is a great album - 25th anniversary of its release at the end of May, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a RE.

Captain Z

Unrelated to RSD but a band I like, Shpongle, have just reissued their sought-after third album on 2xLP for... £119. They've gone overboard on a fancy book-style sleeve finished with copper detailing but despite it being my favourite album of theirs it's an absolute pisstake.

imitationleather

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on April 03, 2019, 02:26:09 PM
Wow! That is a stroke of luck.

I'm pretty much constantly sifting through eBay trying such searches as "Frakn Balck" and "Teenedger of the ear" in the hope someone with fat fingers and no idea has listed a copy!

It really is a great album - 25th anniversary of its release at the end of May, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a RE.

I ain't being funny or nothing (no change there then) but I reckon Teenager of the Year tops any Pixies album.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on April 03, 2019, 11:29:07 AM

All shops sell their left over stock at midnight on the Friday night following RSD. Normans is usually chock full of stuff. If it's still in Piccadilly Records on the Monday following RSD, I can pick you up a copy.

In Manchester, Vinyl Exchange might be a better bet. They won't have a fraction of the numbers that Piccadilly gets but I don't think they get much of a queue.

Head Gardener

There's a great Lee Scratch Perry 7" I'll be after

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: imitationleather on April 03, 2019, 02:41:40 PM
I ain't being funny or nothing (no change there then) but I reckon Teenager of the Year tops any Pixies album.

I agree. The breadth of themes alone are impressive - Pong!, The Three Stooges, The Invaders, CB radio and trucker culture, etc, etc.

He must've felt stifled in Pixies by the end.

Neomod

Our very own Lazyhour is talking about Record Store day on his new podcast. Well worth a listen.

Like a vinyl detectorists.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 03, 2019, 02:43:12 PMIf it's still in Piccadilly Records on the Monday following RSD, I can pick you up a copy.
Very kind of you to offer. I'm not after it though, just wondered if it was worth checking online for anything that caught my fancy. I didn't realise stuff went online the next day so I suppose there's always a chance of getting something if it's not a big ebay grip and flip title.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on April 03, 2019, 04:37:38 PM
Very kind of you to offer. I'm not after it though, just wondered if it was worth checking online for anything that caught my fancy. I didn't realise stuff went online the next day so I suppose there's always a chance of getting something if it's not a big ebay grip and flip title.

It goes online the following weekend but you can buy in person from actual shops the day after RSD.

lazyhour

Quote from: Neomod on April 03, 2019, 04:04:25 PM
Like a vinyl detectorists.

I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment. There'll be a RSD update in the next episode as since recording we've discovered some of the eye-watering prices being asked for some of the records we talked about...

SteveDave

Quote from: lazyhour on April 03, 2019, 11:31:32 PM
I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment. There'll be a RSD update in the next episode as since recording we've discovered some of the eye-watering prices being asked for some of the records we talked about...

As a record shop/store owner, could you let me know how much "Trout Mask Replica" is going to be? I've got someone on the inside at Flashback Records but he's gone quiet about prices.

Also, what is the name of your podcast?

SteveDave

Nice. £33.99 is less than I thought "TMR" would be. I hope my connection comes through for me.

lazyhour

Piccadilly is where I've been sourcing prices - maybe Juno as well?

The podcast is called We Buy Records and is on Spotify etc. Should be on iTunes soon. We're only 2 eps in so don't judge us too harshly.