Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Record Store Day 2019

Started by Head Gardener, March 01, 2019, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

I love owning physical music but fucks sake. Record Store Day. Imagine queueing up for a shop to open first thing of a morning and rushing in to get your favourites before someone else does. It's bad enough seeing people pathetically run for the Victoria line but this shite is another level.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 04, 2019, 06:59:24 PM
I love owning physical music but fucks sake. Record Store Day. Imagine queueing up for a shop to open first thing of a morning and rushing in to get your favourites before someone else does. It's bad enough seeing people pathetically run for the Victoria line but this shite is another level.

Can't be fucked with that, but I might pop down Mono at teatime to see the band whose release I'm interested play it live.

Nowhere Man

Bet even someone as lovely as Serge despised those Record Store Day wankers

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Nowhere Man on April 04, 2019, 10:26:48 PM
Bet even someone as lovely as Serge despised those Record Store Day wankers

Our boy kept it civil as ever, but he did blow off a little steam, at least:

Christ, it's almost been a year now.

SteveDave

QuoteChrist, it's almost been a year now.

I was thinking that the other day.

Malcy

The Mighty Boost announced as the ambassadors for this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47854788

alan nagsworth

QuoteNoel says it's nice to go through somebody's record collection, too.

"If you were on a date or you'd just met someone, you could have a peak at their collection and think 'Oh, this isn't going to work'."

Maybe that's why all his ideas since 2006 have been so crap. You stand to get a lot further in life if you can learn to bond through differences and shared experiences. I bet he's the first one to mama-bird his personal tastes down the necks of party guests as well.

Yeah that's right Noel I'm calling you out mate

gilbertharding

To celebrate Record Shop (Please) Day every year I go to my local branch of HMV and buy a Big Bang Theory T Shirt.

Head Gardener

DJ's Food and HG spinning flexis at Audio Gold on RSD

Lordofthefiles

Wankmedaft!!

The missus went and got me both Frank Black releases AND The King by Teenage Fanclub.

If anyone wants me I'll be stoned out my mind in the lounge for the rest of the evening, yeeeeah!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on April 14, 2019, 06:40:32 PM
Wankmedaft!!

The missus went and got me both Frank Black releases AND The King by Teenage Fanclub.

If anyone wants me I'll be stoned out my mind in the lounge for the rest of the evening, yeeeeah!

Aw, this is really cute. For some reason I reacted to your plight when you first mentioned it so I'm pleased you were rewarded!

magval

I didn't get what I was looking for so bought some Slayer instead.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 14, 2019, 07:11:05 PM
Aw, this is really cute. For some reason I reacted to your plight when you first mentioned it so I'm pleased you were rewarded!

Ha! Thank you.
I've been literally distraught and I think she sensed it. So much so that she got an early train home from Edinburgh so she'd make the record shop before it closed.
*niceness*

DrGreggles

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on April 14, 2019, 06:40:32 PM
The King by Teenage Fanclub.

Bought, but only because the completest in me needed it.
It's unlistenable dirge for the most part.

Fucking hate record 'store'* day...

*shop

SteveDave

I rolled up to Stranger Than Paradise at about 1pm expecting to see empty shelves and destruction everywhere but there was loads left and I got "Trout Mask Replica" without having to queue or fight. Hoorah.

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on April 14, 2019, 09:27:58 PM
got an early train home so she'd make the record shop before it closed.
*niceness* *nineties*

FTFY

gilbertharding

Happened to catch a little bit of Gilles Petersen on Radio 6 on Saturday... he was saying that one of his favourite record shops actually SHUTS on Record Shop Day, and that was a stance towards the thing he 'understood'.

Fucking hell.

I went into my local indie record shop on Saturday afternoon to have a look at the RSD stuff just out of curiosity.

Plenty of stock left.  Not surprisingly, this included a 7" picture disc of 'Margate' by Chas n' Dave that they were asking £21.99 for, and the soundtrack to 'The Cable Guy' which was a snip at £44.99.

I mean, fuck off. 

Head Gardener

skip to 1:45 for flexi-chat on BBC Radio Northampton earlier today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0754wsm

Head Gardener

it is indirectly, we chatted about RSD and the book but yeah sorry it was shameful self promotion bollocks, I'll get me goat

lazyhour

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 15, 2019, 12:04:45 PM
Happened to catch a little bit of Gilles Petersen on Radio 6 on Saturday... he was saying that one of his favourite record shops actually SHUTS on Record Shop Day, and that was a stance towards the thing he 'understood'.

Fucking hell.

Quite admire that, to be honest.

buntyman

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 16, 2019, 03:57:04 PM
it is indirectly, we chatted about RSD and the book but yeah sorry it was shameful self promotion bollocks, I'll get me goat

I enjoyed it, you're very good on the radio

Head Gardener

Quote from: buntyman on April 17, 2019, 12:45:20 AM
I enjoyed it, you're very good on the radio

aww thank you, there's no money in it though but maybe that's for the best, no pressure & just for fun

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: lazyhour on April 16, 2019, 10:13:31 PM
Quite admire that, to be honest.

Yeah, so do I. It's quite ungratifying to see all these supposedly cool indies who 'just love music' bending over backwards and accepting all the shit that goes with RSD. Whilst I appreciate that times are tough and I do spend a lot of time in small independent record shops, if your business model relies on hawking Baby Shark picture discs and Police double packs for nearly 20 quid then maybe you're in the wrong business. Fuck the labels, fuck your Dinked editions and fuck your Shit For Cunts RSD.

As an aside, my local shop stashes my wants and I'm off to collect them later today. :)