Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory Party Watch: parts 8245–8249 & 117

Started by Absorb the anus burn, March 02, 2019, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

More significant than that are these questions-

1) since when was a person under severe pressure expected to never make mistakes?
2) what is the cost of helping and educating them?

Because 1) cuts through all libertarian arguments* and 2) exposes that welfare costs are considerably cheaper than the deleterious effects of extreme poverty, not to mention the cost of giving business tax breaks and letting corporations evade tax

*Reminded of the quote "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Fambo Number Mive

What is a "technology gadget"? Linda Jeffries doesn't seem to think a TV, dishwasher or mobile phone are "technology gadgets"

Perhaps she's just made up by the newspaper to brainwash its readers.

Most newspaper letter writers seem to just parrot the paper's words straight back at them verbatim in the hopes that they'll get their name printed.

The paper then uses this as evidence that whatever campaign they are waging is in the public interest. This creates an echo chamber where the paper and reader are speaking as one, therefore the paper is the "voice of the people" even though those people are simply amplifying something they've already read.

Replies From View

Why do they want/need to get their name printed though?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on March 28, 2019, 05:19:27 PM
Why do they want/need to get their name printed though?
so they can go "oooOOOh im famous"

sort of thing they sneer at poor people for actually

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47802125
QuoteUp to £200m could be paid to people affected by the Windrush scandal, the home secretary has announced.

Sajid Javid told MPs he hoped the scheme goes some way to "right the wrongs" of a "terrible mistake that should never have happened".

Strong and stable! Fiscally responsible!

Sherman Krank

Even after a decade, Blair and Thatcher never managed to crack the big three oh.
May has smashed through it in just a measly two years and shows no signs of stopping (bagging another brace this very day).

Undeniably the Ronalado of ministerial resignations.

Replies From View

They'll all come rushing back when BoJo takes over, I'm sure.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

She has redefined the significance of a resignation. In future dozens will fall on any given day to shrugs.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Blumf on April 03, 2019, 03:12:12 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47802125

Strong and stable! Fiscally responsible!

What I love about May the most is she has single-handedly within a very short time trashed the Tory party bollocks mantra they are the party of natural government in the electorates eye, Brexit will be an albatross around their necks for the next 20 years.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 03, 2019, 11:35:25 PM
What I love about May the most is she has single-handedly within a very short time trashed the Tory party bollocks mantra they are the party of natural government in the electorates eye, Brexit will be an albatross around their necks for the next 20 years.

in a logical world yes, but the great British public have demonstrated memories like goldfish. It'll all be forgotten in 5 years. The only reason they were out of power so long was that Blair stole their clothes.

Replies From View

The electorate have short political memories.  All the Tories need to do is rebrand again, and Brexit will be seen as an anomaly or outside force rather than the Tories' fault or responsibility.

NoSleep

I think May has been given the job of Brexit scapegoat and that's what we've seen played out. As soon as she's gone everything will be back to business as usual. It isn't so much that that the public have short memories as much as the MSM don't connect the dots when presenting current affairs; everything is presented in isolation as if it has just happened out of the blue with no previous cause. This answers Blue Jam's question about whether we can accuse much of the public of being thick, too; they aren't, but you have to take time to find out the context of the news, which many people can't or won't allot time for in their lives. The news is just a backdrop for most people.

DrGreggles

The Tories with blame Cameron for there being a referendum and May for the shambles that followed it, then completely wash their hands of them.

Cuellar

lol good luck

petril

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 04, 2019, 09:24:37 AM
The Tories with blame Cameron for there being a referendum and May for the shambles that followed it, then completely wash their hands of them.

it's up to the rest of us to keep blaming the rest of the party as well. cunts don't go out of the way to blame themselves because that's how cunts operate. doesn't mean that it gets ignored, the best way is to keep hammering on that, and keep the discussion of them about their collective fuck up and refusal to accept this.

The good(!) news is that this doesn't simply go away. There's the future relationship to sort out and it won't be done in 18 months like they seem to think it will. This will be carrying on through the next scheduled election and probably the one after that.

greenman

What does everyone think of the possibility of a significant Tory spilt? part of my thinks that mutal self interests to avoid a shift to the left at all costs will always keep them together but the divide does seem to be increasingly bitter rather than just being about power grabs.

One thing in favour of it as well is I think a Tory Hard Brexit party could actually have some electoral success, the Tingers know that there finished if they have to face elections were as the Brexiters could probably put up a better claim to being the "real Tories" and fight for a position with significant support.

imitationleather

Quote from: greenman on April 04, 2019, 11:53:14 AM
What does everyone think of the possibility of a significant Tory spilt? part of my thinks that mutal self interests to avoid a shift to the left at all costs will always keep them together but the divide does seem to be increasingly bitter rather than just being about power grabs.

One thing in favour of it as well is I think a Tory Hard Brexit party could actually have some electoral success, the Tingers know that there finished if they have to face elections were as the Brexiters could probably put up a better claim to being the "real Tories" and fight for a position with significant support.

I think Tory self-preservation and the knowledge that no matter how bad things get they're never going to totally collapse with their sizeable base in the way that Labour potentially could will prevent a split from actually happening.

Blumf

Quote from: greenman on April 04, 2019, 11:53:14 AM
What does everyone think of the possibility of a significant Tory spilt?

I think, if they were going to, it would have been back before the referendum when UKIP were polling well but not getting any MPs. That was a voter base to grab on to.

Now? Everything's  a mess, and they're natural cowards, so they'll stick with it unless the party gets utterly destroyed in the next election (which won't happen because cunts)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If it ends up a soft Brexit, softer than May's existing deal then the party will be split between those who want a full no deal Brexit and those vaguely Eurosceptic but not up their list of agendas, just relieved its over with. However that's kind of how the Tories have always been.

Yet a unique factor of this issue is its ability so far to turn previously moderate mild people into frothing partisans or useless prevaricating tossers who change their view every few days. Perhaps this conveyor belt they're on will lead to a split.

In reality Letwin/Boles suggestion was only unpalatable because it so unqualifiedly makes Britain weaker that it starkly illustrates why we should stay. Otherwise it was a decent compromise effort, but there is no compromise here, either we succeed in the EU or take the enormous gamble of seeing if we can go it alone, the latter of which offers no real-life advantages for the left, only fantasy ones.

Mr. Internet

I think you're being way too optimistic. Labour, whom I can foresee losing even more of their base in the coming years, are more likely to bear most of the blame for the fallout, no matter how preposterous that would be to a reasonable person.

greenman

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 04, 2019, 12:29:19 PM
If it ends up a soft Brexit, softer than May's existing deal then the party will be split between those who want a full no deal Brexit and those vaguely Eurosceptic but not up their list of agendas, just relieved its over with. However that's kind of how the Tories have always been.

Yet a unique factor of this issue is its ability so far to turn previously moderate mild people into frothing partisans or useless prevaricating tossers who change their view every few days. Perhaps this conveyor belt they're on will lead to a split.

The Tories have always been spilt but I think you could argue the more extreme Eurosceptic wing will now have a more effective rallying cry than it did in the past being able to point to May "betraying the will of the people" if she works with Labour for a softer Brexit.

These people have arguably had there period of maximum influence/power post referendum to the degree I could potentially see them splitting away if we get both a soft brexit deal promised and a soft brexit leader.

On the cynical side as well might this actually be a way for the Tories to have their cake and eat it? spilt the party, form a coalition and agree not to run against each other then sell both sides to different voters?

I think it will go like the GOP whereby a Trump-like figure takes over and all the moderates are forced out by deselections.

Someone not currently in the Tory machine will turn it into UKIP. Tory moderates realign as hard right enablers or defect to the new SDP.

olliebean

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 04, 2019, 02:35:51 PM
I think it will go like the GOP whereby a Trump-like figure takes over and all the moderates are forced out by deselections.

Someone not currently in the Tory machine will turn it into UKIP. Tory moderates realign as hard right enablers or defect to the new SDP.

Seems the most likely scenario. UKIP entryism is already well under way.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Mr. Internet on April 04, 2019, 12:55:16 PM
I think you're being way too optimistic. Labour, whom I can foresee losing even more of their base in the coming years, are more likely to bear most of the blame for the fallout, no matter how preposterous that would be to a reasonable person.

When you describe Labour's base, you use the term "losing even more", which is hardly deserved Labour's base has hugely grown since 2015 both in terms of membership and the electorate. The reform of the party is barely a quarter of the way through, and it all depends who the leadership is handed off to.

Also next time there is a realistic chance the PLP will put up a centre-left candidate because a meaningfully larger proportion of the CLP will themselves be centre left rather than pro-corporate handwringers, expense cheats and war mongerers.

They have a lot of popular answers on a number of domestic issues that would be thrust to the fore post-Brexit sign off, and people will simply get sick of the existing government and stop voting for them. What may hurt the Tories next time isn't so much a pro-Corbyn surge as apathy/distaste for their crumbling regime.

Fambo Number Mive

More NHS privatisation: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nhs-privatisation-health-secretary-contracts-companies-matt-hancock-jon-ashworth-a8857021.html

QuoteThe NHS is offering more than 20 contracts to private companies, despite health secretary Matt Hancock having insisted there would be "no privatisation on my watch", Labour has said.

The party released data showing 21 NHS contracts worth £127m are currently out to tender - 19 of which have been put out since mid-February.

The figures were revealed by House of Commons Library analysis and include a £91m contract to run an NHS assessment service in the South East, a £16m deal to provide health services in Leicestershire and a £6m tender for a GP surgery in High Wycombe...

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 03, 2019, 11:54:32 PM
in a logical world yes, but the great British public have demonstrated memories like goldfish. It'll all be forgotten in 5 years. The only reason they were out of power so long was that Blair stole their clothes.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 04, 2019, 07:55:19 AM
The electorate have short political memories.  All the Tories need to do is rebrand again, and Brexit will be seen as an anomaly or outside force rather than the Tories' fault or responsibility.

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 04, 2019, 09:24:37 AM

Quote from: Cuellar on April 04, 2019, 09:25:36 AM
lol good luck

bunch of miserable cunts, dead soon

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 07, 2019, 06:53:33 PM
bunch of miserable cunts, dead soon

Well, you would say that. It's the standard brexiteer response: For goodness sake, who's to say there's going to be a strong wind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DchpBk6rfoc