Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:44:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory Party Watch: parts 8245–8249 & 117

Started by Absorb the anus burn, March 02, 2019, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

mugwump ji sum

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead with the 2018 article, but the same story won't go away till Jeremy Corbyn is forced out or becomes more obedient. Here's one from last week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47845390

QuoteMarie van der Zyl, president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, said the Sunday Times report showed that attempts to deal with anti-Semitism had been "treated with utter contempt".

"Rather than own up to the problem, the Labour leadership has put its efforts into a cover-up operation," she said. "Any claims to a politically independent system can now be seen as a total sham.

"Labour must now urgently open up its processes to scrutiny by the Jewish community".

It's possible to run afoul of the Board of Deputies whether criticising the conduct of Israel or pointing out the influence of a globalist billionaire.

At least Labour didn't throw Jeremy Corbyn under the bus after one single phone call from them.

BlodwynPig

Marie van der Zyl is the most dangerous person in Britain [citation needed]

Quote from: mugwump ji sum on April 12, 2019, 02:28:48 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead with the 2018 article, but the same story won't go away till Jeremy Corbyn is forced out or becomes more obedient. Here's one from last week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47845390

It's possible to run afoul of the Board of Deputies whether criticising the conduct of Israel or pointing out the influence of a globalist billionaire.

At least Labour didn't throw Jeremy Corbyn under the bus after one single phone call from them.

He wasn't "pointing out the influence of a globalist billionaire", it was the latest in a long line of racist dog whistles.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: big bottomed anarchist on April 12, 2019, 02:39:41 PM
He wasn't "pointing out the influence of a globalist billionaire", it was the latest in a long line of racist dog whistles.

Hatred and smearing of Corbyn based on false pretences and damned lies is equally valid of condemnation and scorn.

Check out the guy's posting history and read his comment again. He is an outright racist and is trying to conflate the Corbyn situation with the very real racism coming from the far right.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: big bottomed anarchist on April 12, 2019, 02:46:02 PM
Check out the guy's posting history and read his comment again. He is an outright racist and is trying to conflate the Corbyn situation with the very real racism coming from the far right.

Oh.

The reason it concerns me so much is that the fascist right have always had a strategy of finding common ground with the left in order to recruit defectors. Anti-Israeli feeling has been a prime part of that, along with issues of American imperialism and globalisation. Given the current nature of world politics, I think there is a very real danger of far-right groups using the Anti-Semitism crisis in order to red-pill a whole load of young people.

Johnny Yesno

Sorry, yes, that was meant to be an 'oh' of agreement.

mugwump ji sum

Roger Scruton on the article that led to his sacking:
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/04/roger-scruton-an-apology-for-thinking/amp/

QuoteI recently gave an interview to the New Statesman, on the assumption that, as the magazine's former wine critic I would be treated with respect, and that the journalist, George Eaton, was sincere in wanting to talk to me about my intellectual life. Not for the first time I am forced to acknowledge what a mistake it is to address young leftists as though they were responsible human beings. Here is my brief response to an unscrupulous collection of out of context remarks, some of them merely words designed to accuse me of thought-crimes, and to persuade the government that I am not fit to be chairman of the commission recently entrusted to me.
Eaton repeats the libel, uttered under Parliamentary privilege originally, that I believe in some kind of Jewish conspiracy theory. Here is what I said in the speech (discussing the idea of the Nation State, and delivered to the Hungarian Academy) in which the relevant words occurred:

'The Jewish minority (here in Hungary) that survived the Nazi occupation suffered further persecution under the communists, but nevertheless is active in making its presence known. Many of the Budapest intelligentsia are Jewish, and form part of the extensive networks around the Soros Empire. People in these networks include many who are rightly suspicious of nationalism, regard nationalism as the major cause of the tragedy of Central Europe in the 20th century, and do not distinguish nationalism from the kind of national loyalty that I have defended in this talk. Moreover, as the world knows, indigenous anti-Semitism still plays a part in Hungarian society and politics, and presents an obstacle to the emergence of a shared national loyalty among ethnic Hungarians and Jews.'

In retrospect I could have chosen the words more carefully. But my purpose was to point out that anti-Semitism has become an issue in Hungary, and an obstacle to a shared national identity. As for the Soros Empire, I am the only person I know who has actually tried to persuade Viktor Orbán to accept its presence, and that of the Central European University in particular, in Hungary. I did not succeed, but that is another matter. I should add that I am neither a friend nor an enemy of Orbán, but know him from the days when I helped him and his colleagues to set up a free university under the communists. What Orbán did then was the first step towards the liberation of his country, and George Soros was one of those who helped him too. It is sad for Hungary that the two have fallen out, and that the old spectre of anti-Semitism has been reborn from their clash. Given their two aggressive personalities, however, it is hardly surprising.

We in Britain are entering a dangerous social condition in which the direct expression of opinions that conflict – or merely seem to conflict – with a narrow set of orthodoxies is instantly punished by a band of self-appointed vigilantes. We are being cowed into abject conformity around a dubious set of official doctrines and told to adopt a world view that we cannot examine for fear of being publicly humiliated by the censors. This world view might lead to a new and liberated social order; or it might lead to the social and spiritual destruction of our country. How shall we know, if we are too afraid to discuss it?

Quote from: big bottomed anarchist on April 12, 2019, 02:39:41 PM

It looks more like the opposite of a dog whistle.  He explicitly refers to jews and their position of influence, but goes on to identify Hungarian nationalism and antisemitism as the problems. Even after his sacking he apportioned all blame to young leftists and the 'social condition' rather than any at all to the Board of Deputies.

When non-jewish Jeremy Corbyn supporters label Roger Scruton as antisemitic but deny that charge themselves, they should bear Billy Bragg's apology in mind:

Quote"I failed to recognise the right of the Jewish community to decide for themselves what does and doesn't constitute racism. It's the Macpherson principle, and I made a very insensitive response to someone's question that implied that I knew better than the Jewish community about what is and isn't. I personally don't believe it amounted to antisemitism, it was just very insensitive. It denied them the right to decide what is a racist attack on their community, and that's wrong and I apologise for it."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/apr/08/billy-bragg-brexit-corbyn-skiffle-documentary-interview

BlodwynPig

Bragg's correct. But vicious machiavellian cunts should be denied that right - for the good of humanity

Alberon

And he's come back with 'taken out of context' defence. Because we're all saying something that sounds like moronically stupid bullshit that are really pearls of wisdom with just a little more context.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt denied them the right to decide what is a racist attack on their community

Leaving aside the fact it didn't, how are an entire race of people, or even a local synagogue's worth supposed to collectively decide something like that? The notion itself is preposterous. The idea Jews are a hive mind is truly insulting and conceptually quite racist, yet this is the level the likes of the Board of Deputies have lowered debate yo themselves, while slinging accusations around.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 21, 2019, 10:22:01 PM
Another Shaun Bailey controversy: https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/20/homelessness-suffering-nhs-just-hype-says-tory-mayor-london-candidate-9277036/

QuoteBailey reportedly said: 'If you could get girls to accept less of men's rubbish then men would have to change because ultimately men are after a girl. 'Men's behaviour is affected by what he feels it is to be a man and what he feels will impress a girl!

He's just not very bright, is he?

Buelligan

I take it they're none of them interested in women.

Buelligan

And now this -

Quote from: The BBCA company that marketed a failed bond scheme that lost savers £236m has been funding an MP's private salary.

Johnny Mercer receives £85,000 from Crucial Academy, a company ultimately funded by Surge Financial Limited.

Surge Financial Limited took 25% commission for marketing bonds by London Capital and Finance (LCF), which is now in administration.

Mr Mercer - who is now facing calls from investors to quit as an MP - has not responded to requests for comment.

The Conservative MP for Plymouth Moor View is a non-executive director of Crucial Academy, which trains military veterans and aims to find them employment.

Mr Mercer, himself a former Army officer, is contracted to work four hours per week, a rate of more than £350 per hour.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-47884273

Johnny Mercer's obviously a terrible cunt but I'm still almost glad he exists because he's given me this -

NoSleep

His constituency is a potentially interesting place for a by-election, given the Tories seem intent on clinging to power by two seats. If it swings to Labour that's the Tories fucked.

Buelligan

I'm guessing Plymouth would be a place with a few people who are quite sympathetic towards R BRAVE BOYS, that £350 an hour he's skimming off of their retraining money looks pretty damning to me.  Worse still, his relationship for money, with crooks who've conned people out of their pensions, makes him either an idiot or a knave, I hope they give him his marching orders.

And, of course, we also have this -

Quote from: The GuardianThe Conservative MP Christopher Davies has been found guilty of submitting fake expenses invoices for £700 of landscape photographs to decorate his office, meaning he could be kicked out of parliament under the recall process.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/23/tory-mp-chris-davies-fake-expenses-claim-brecon-radnorshire

jobotic

QuoteMr Wright, a long-time Conservative supporter, said he had lost all faith in Parliament, and that Mr Mercer should stand down.

No mate, lose all faith in Tory scum - they're only in it to fleece you.

NoSleep

Quote from: Buelligan on April 24, 2019, 10:26:56 AM
I'm guessing Plymouth would be a place with a few people who are quite sympathetic towards R BRAVE BOYS, that £350 an hour he's skimming off of their retraining money looks pretty damning to me.  Worse still, his relationship for money, with crooks who've conned people out of their pensions, makes him either an idiot or a knave, I hope they give him his marching orders.

I'm not sure whether his actions would reflect too much on how people voted given he would be gone, but Plymouth was Labour in 2010. Just to add to the interest would be a couple of new parties (CHUK & Brexit) vying for the Tory (but not Labour) vote. Everything to play for.

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48034732
QuoteFormer Conservative MP Ann Widdecombe has announced she is set to return to politics - for the Brexit Party.

Ms Widdecombe, 71, said she would still vote Conservative in the upcoming local elections but would stand as a candidate for Nigel Farage's new party in the European elections.

Surely she should be ejected from the party

Buelligan

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 24, 2019, 11:16:28 AM
Health Secretary launches TPA report: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-matt-hancock-teams-up-14481100

Quote from: the article Fambo linkedHealth Secretary Matt Hancock has been accused of being "in hock to fringe right wingers" after teaming up with a think tank who want to close hospitals and ramp up NHS workers' hour.

The top Tory is today launching a report by right wingers the Taxpayers' Alliance (TPA), calling for more automation in the Health Service.

Introducing the report, Mr Hancock is expected to say technology can "transform the way we deliver public services" and free nurses up "to do more of what they love and do so well: treating and caring for patients."

But the TPA's website calls for a dramatic reduction in the number of Hospitals and called for the NHS to move to an "insurance-based model."

It also calls for NHS staff to be exempted from parts of the EU Working Time Directive
, which regulates the amount of hours people can work in a week.

Makes you think.  It's almost as if a cadre of capitalists are trying to isolate and distabilise Britain in order to plunder NHS and other lucrative contracts whilst unconstrained by higher authority or international law.  Taxpayers Alliance -

Quote from: WikipediaMajor questions have been raised regarding the funding of the organisation with speculation that significant contributions have been received from overseas. The Tax Payers Alliance was given the lowest possible grade for Think Tank financial transparency by Who Funds You, a British project that seeks to rate and promote transparency of funding sources of think tanks.

The Tax Payers Alliance has also had its links to other Euro-skeptic, Hard Right or Climate Change Denying Think Tanks based out of out of 55 Tufton Street questioned.

The company was founded by Matthew Elliott who founded Euroskeptic Think Tank Business for Britain as well as Conservative Friends of Russia, Big Brother Watch NOtoAV campaign in the 2011 Alternative Vote referendum and In 2015, Elliot became the chief executive of Vote Leave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TaxPayers%27_Alliance

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Keep telling everyone you know that we aren't in "The Centre" politically, we are in the eye of a deregulating asset stripping storm of corporate fascism a.k.a neoliberalism, the corruption and venality will strip the flesh from our cheeks.

Keep sharing friendly and non-aligned stuff like We Own It which is run by intelligent articulate people who communicate their ideas in a simpke easy to understand way

Rebuild the public square. This should be Labour's political strategy. Many Conservatives hate what's happened to the high street, to their libraries, post offices, leisure centres, public bus service, bin collections

Hammer it home. It isn't Labour vs Tory. It's The People vs The Corrupt.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 24, 2019, 10:26:56 AM

And, of course, we also have this -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/23/tory-mp-chris-davies-fake-expenses-claim-brecon-radnorshire

"could" "may" "should" = WON'T

Alberon

So the 1922 committee has refused to change the rules to allow May's leadership to be challenged before December, but Sir Graham Brady wants her to set out a timetable for her quitting whether she passes her Brexit deal or not.

Expect Number 10 to completely ignore this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Let's make them absorb more and more damage from their pathetic infighting. For the time being its best May stays so they endure an absolute hammering at the elections, then they can waste further Brexit extension time trying to depose her.

And Labour all the while can offer a shit-eating deal which May will never accept.

Medium term, 9-12 months Corbyism really needs some form of closure on the Brexit issue.

pancreas

It seems that right now Brexit is the best chance to bring down the govt. And that's the key to sorting out Brexit, amongst every other fucking thing. So we plough on with it, I suppose.