Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory Party Watch: parts 8245–8249 & 117

Started by Absorb the anus burn, March 02, 2019, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

While it's very tempting to want to see the back of May, unfortunately whoever replaces her will almost certainly be both worse for the country, and better for the party come election time.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on April 24, 2019, 09:31:30 PM
While it's very tempting to want to see the back of May, unfortunately whoever replaces her will almost certainly be both worse for the country, and better for the party come election time.

Hmmmm.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: olliebean on April 24, 2019, 09:31:30 PM

If the parliamentary party haven't torn themselves to pieces by then. The victorious right-wing leaver candidate might just end up as May did: alienating people and terrifying enough people into voting Labour. And she lost a majority despite having the strongest wind behind her. I doubt enthusiasm for this government has an upward trajectory from here, even if some fantasist right-winger gets in and starts waving the flag around. The Remain vote is growing and focusing its hatred on the Conservative party. And masses of non-aligned people too.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteCampaigners fear thousands of the UK's poorest children are being denied free school meals after their families have been caught up in the immigration system, despite living in the UK for all or much of their lives.

As a parliamentary inquiry publishes a report into the food 'insecurity' faced by 4.1 million youngsters living in poverty, activists warn too many households are forgotten as they have no access to state benefits while waiting to hear about their status from the Home Office.

At the extreme, reports have suggested British children have suffered from illnesses linked to malnutrition because they are eating non-food items to stave off hunger, and critics suggest the problems have become worse since austerity and Theresa May's 'hostile environment' policy was introduced.

Among those to have suffered at the hands of this bureaucracy are Sarah and her son, James. Like many children, 10-year-old James is hungry by the time he gets home from school. Every day he walks for 25 minutes with Sarah to and from the primary school he has been attending since September. When they get home, James digs out some rice from the fridge to heat up in the microwave...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/food-poverty-school-meals_uk_5cc0809de4b0ad77ff7e9d54

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 24, 2019, 10:12:40 PM
If the parliamentary party haven't torn themselves to pieces by then. The victorious right-wing leaver candidate might just end up as May did: alienating people and terrifying enough people into voting Labour. And she lost a majority despite having the strongest wind behind her. I doubt enthusiasm for this government has an upward trajectory from here, even if some fantasist right-winger gets in and starts waving the flag around. The Remain vote is growing and focusing its hatred on the Conservative party. And masses of non-aligned people too.

The reason May is unpopular isn't that she's vicious, it's that she's incompetent and charmless. Find a halfway competent smarmy cunt who'll cut a few taxes, say the right things and flatter the right idiots and all the opposition will drain away.

EDIT: Or, more precisely, Tory voters will re-engage.

jobotic

It seems common to look at Windrush as a negative for May, which of course it is if you're a fully functioning human being, but for the members it's probably the one good thing about her.

Paul Calf

And of course, the remains of Grenfell Tower still haunt the West London skyline.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA Tory-led council has prompted fury after asking the public if they would support an end to free bus travel for disabled people and pensioners.

East Sussex County Council asked in a consultation whether it would be "reasonable" to charge elderly and disabled people half-fares for off-peak bus journeys that they can currently take for free.

In the so-called "core offer" survey, seen by HuffPost UK, East Sussex said that, despite being restricted by legislation, it still wanted to test the water on what people thought of charges for a range of services.

"We are strictly limited by law in the charges we are allowed to make for services. However, we would like to know if there are any further charges you think might (sic) be reasonable if the law changed to allow them," the consultation said.

Among the ideas that would flout current legislation were:

Half-fare on buses for pensioners and people with a disability;
A charge to enter household waste and recycling sites;
An annual fee for membership of the library...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/outrage-as-tory-council-asks-public-if-they-support-cuts-to-free-disabled-bus-pass_uk_5c765943e4b0031d9563885e

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Remember councils have suffered immensely, and disproportionately from withdrawal of central government funding, ie. Austerity, so are trying to find ways to make ends meet.

This dynamic the free market ideologues perfectly. Defund, make sure things don't work, sell it off at a knock down rate to private hands. 9 years of this shit.

They aren't even pretending anymore that sell-offs are about introducing efficiency, choice, lower prices. They don't have to, we are that cowed.

Twit 2

I live in an area of Norfolk which is rabidly Tory. My MP is mega-cunt George Freeman. I'm forever getting Tory flyers through the door and today's was '5 reasons to vote Conservative', with number 1 being 'lower taxes'. The brass balls of that, when it means the same as 'shit public services'. But they lap it up round here, his majority his enormous. Thank God Norwich is a labour stronghold with a brilliant council, a blob of red in a blue doughnut.

Fambo Number Mive

olliebean

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 28, 2019, 08:56:51 PM
I wonder how much time and money was spent on this: https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1122078933225230336

Fuck me. How reassuring to know that in case of a medical emergency you're expected to faff about with an app to find where to go for the shortest A&E queue, instead of just getting yourself to the nearest hospital with a reasonable expectation that it would be adequately resourced.

Fambo Number Mive

"I've run out of mobile data, have you got any darling"

"Stop faffing around, you're bleeding to death"

"Can you connect my phone to the Wi-Fi, while I try and stop my arm falling off"

This will probably also encourage people who call an ambulance to demand to be taken to the least busy A&E, making the ambulance wait until they've loaded the app.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Right wing/privatisation dogma. Same as Virgin Trains reacting to overcrowding by pointing out people should reserve seats, not acknowledging there are more people than there are seats.

This is a similar sly cunty way of transferring the responsibility from the provider to the user.

Fambo Number Mive

Yes, and I reckon there are lots of people who support this kind of thing because as long as they aren't the user affected there's a slight change it'll mean lower prices for them, or they own shares. They'll always take the side of the corporation even when the corporation is wrong, because if the corporation loses out it might affect them, but if ordinary members of the public lose out it won't affect them.

In Swindon, for example, a bloke was reported as having found a staple inside his supermarket meal. Most of the replies had a go at the bloke for "wanting compo" and having a dirty kitchen.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: olliebean on April 28, 2019, 10:21:58 PM
Fuck me. How reassuring to know that in case of a medical emergency you're expected to faff about with an app to find where to go for the shortest A&E queue, instead of just getting yourself to the nearest hospital with a reasonable expectation that it would be adequately resourced.

As many of the replies have pointed out, the queue length for you depends on how seriously ill you are.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 28, 2019, 10:51:42 PM
In Swindon, for example, a bloke was reported as having found a staple inside his supermarket meal. Most of the replies had a go at the bloke for "wanting compo" and having a dirty kitchen.

No wag asked if it was a low- or high-nutrient-density staple, then? No sense of humour in Swindon.

Fambo Number Mive

Baroness Warsi, much as I dislike her politics, is doing a good job of calling out Tory bigotry on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/1123240948417298432

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteConservative Party chairman Brandon Lewis has told Tory members suspended for anti-Muslim bigotry they can have their membership restored after six months, despite previously blasting Labour for reinstating people who made anti-Semitic comments.

Emails seen by BuzzFeed News reveal the previously opaque Tory disciplinary process, and drive a coach and horses through the party's claims to have a "zero tolerance" policy on Islamophobia.

Suspended Tory members found to have made anti-Muslim remarks are being told they will be reinstated if they stay quiet about their suspension, delete their social media posts, apologise and take a diversity test.

Lewis previously said it was "shocking" that the Labour Party had allowed members suspended for anti-Semitism to be let back in.

Commenting on a news story about Labour last year, Lewis tweeted: "We should all ensure there is nothing quiet about this, shocking news: Labour quietly reinstated six councillors who posted anti-Semitic messages."...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/tory-islamophobia-brandon-lewis

Howj Begg

BlodwynPig

jobotic

We said May was weak. She's sacked the hardest man in politics, apart from Mark Francois.

BlodwynPig

Jail time for Baby Gavin? Hopefully more than the 50 weeks they gave Adult Assange

Paul Calf

So we finally find out you have to do to get the sack from May's government: break the code of omertà in the big boys' club.

Paul Calf

Quote from: jobotic on May 01, 2019, 05:59:24 PM
We said May was weak. She's sacked the hardest man in politics, apart from Mark Francois.

Maasaaaaate.

Iron Mike maaaaaate.

idunnosomename

I AM.... IRON MIKE

HAS HE LOST HIS MIND? CAN HE SEE OR IS A FUCKING IDIOT

biggytitbo

The turd isn't flushing without a fight, swearing on his kids life it wasn't him.

From here he goes underground before returning in a few years as a mysterious masked villain, setting off bombs around Westminster.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 02, 2019, 07:26:16 AM
The turd isn't flushing without a fight, swearing on his kids life it wasn't him.

From here he goes underground before returning in a few years as a mysterious masked villain, setting off bombs around Westminster.

It's great news for everyone who hates the Tories. What will be even better is if we discover it wasn't actually Williamson directly and May got it wrong, yet Williamson was in some way haplessly involved like a child causing a five car pileup.

I assume we'll see how strong the evidence is by whether he is prosecuted under the official secrets act.

Paul Calf

It's unusual for a minister who's actually guilty to make such a fuss about being innocent. Might turn out that he's a scapegoat. But who the is the Defence Minister a human shield for?

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 01, 2019, 06:00:13 PM
Haha so glad it was that cunt https://news.sky.com/story/defence-secretary-fired-over-national-security-council-leak-11708807

Prosecute him now please.

Weirdly though they've replaced him with Willem Defoe.

Slightly random choice but they are running out of options I suppose.