Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory Party Watch: parts 8245–8249 & 117

Started by Absorb the anus burn, March 02, 2019, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Alberon on May 22, 2019, 12:30:25 PM

I know I've said this about a dozen times before with May but I think the party is finally at breaking point.

Unless they mainly just fall in behind the far-right in a bid to keep their jobs and all their money.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Alberon on May 22, 2019, 12:30:25 PM
PMQ's apparently very light on brexiteer Cabinet ministers. It looks like there's a fair bit of mobilisation going on behind the scenes.

I know I've said this about a dozen times before with May but I think the party is finally at breaking point.

Yep, it's coming to the boil.

May could have called an election or a 2nd referendum both of which might have shored up her power but she bottled it.

Wrong election at the wrong time, now paralysed by that mistake she can't make the right moves.

Terrible decision maker. There are limits to how far hard work and grim refusal to yield work without actually being able to to make proactive risky plays.

She's forcing the Tories to basically remould themselves just to get rid of her. Total cunt, but it is very funny.

This PMQs has been disgusting. Tory backbenchers actively seeking for May to restart the troubles. Francois calling her an IRA sympathiser. Absolutely despicable.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA leading United Nations poverty expert has compared Conservative welfare policies to the creation of 19th-century workhouses and warned that unless austerity is ended, the UK's poorest people face lives that are "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short".

In his final report on the impact of austerity on human rights in the UK, Philip Alston, the UN rapporteur on extreme poverty, accused ministers of being in a state of denial about the impact of policies, including the rollout of universal credit, since 2010. He accused them of the "systematic immiseration of a significant part of the British population" and warned that worse could be yet to come for the most vulnerable, who face "a major adverse impact" if Brexit proceeds.

He said leaving the EU was "a tragic distraction from the social and economic policies shaping a Britain that it's hard to believe any political parties really want"...The "endlessly repeated" mantra about rising employment overlooks that "close to 40% of children are predicted to be living in poverty two years from now, 16% of people over 65 live in relative poverty and millions of those who are in work are dependent upon various forms of charity to cope", he said...

In his most barbed swipe at Rudd and her predecessors in charge of welfare, he said: "It might seem to some observers that the department of work and pensions has been tasked with designing a digital and sanitised version of the 19th-century workhouse, made infamous by Charles Dickens."...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/22/un-report-compares-tory-welfare-reforms-to-creation-of-workhouses

Alberon

Despite being ignored by her MPs during the statement (those that didn't get up and walk out that is) May is, predictably, pushing ahead with early June for the ritual sacrifice of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Utterly utterly pointless.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Desperate, tokenistic time wasting shit.

Buelligan

Can it really be that?  Despite having witnessed the proof, over and over again, I still find it almost impossible that Britain has come to this.  It's fucking gobsmacking.

Fambo Number Mive

It feels like it's going to be like 1983 all over again.

greencalx

May's like one of those people that keeps putting their card back into the cash machine in the vain hope it will give them some money this time.

imitationleather

Alberon

Let's see if anyone follows her. Though she's even worse than May.

idunnosomename

Leadsom would throw May and her barren womb under a bus any day of the week. Ruined her chances she did

Paul Calf

greencalx

No of the other fuckers followed her yet? Would love to see the whole cabinet resign the night before an election, with the PM insisting that everyone is behind her and that the show must go on.

idunnosomename

James Brokenshire will go down with the ship

sponk

I do wish she'd have lead some other cabinet members down the same path.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: greencalx on May 22, 2019, 08:31:39 PM
No of the other fuckers followed her yet? Would love to see the whole cabinet resign the night before an election, with the PM insisting that everyone is behind her and that the show must go on.

Cunt Mundell will never resign, the snivelling little toad that he is.

BlodwynPig

QuoteBut the BBC's political editor responds to Mr Loughton, saying that it seems Theresa May, at least at first, did not inform her team of Mrs Leadsom's impending resignation.

I hope to dear God we don't get a revisionist absurdist-lite drama about the death of the Tory party.

Zetetic

A good decision on the part of Theresa May - the resulting delay and confusion will have likely soaked up at least some more time, even if it was only on the order of several minutes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on May 22, 2019, 09:41:53 PM
For fucks sake, just after she'd been doing the right thing  the Birmingham school row

https://mobile.twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1131272676352380928?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Making friends in all the right (wrong) places.

Jess Phillips PM

Commentary "Under pressure PM Jess Phillips faces a vote of no confidence tabled by the some of the few remaining left leaning members of her party and most of the progressive parties on the opposing benches. However, it is thought she will survive again after several leading Tories came out publicly in support of her, including Conservative leader Andrea Leadsom, senior whip Nadine Dorries, shadow chancellor Anna Soubry, and shadow foreign minister Nigel Farage"

Never clicked this thread before. But it's the right place for Jess Phillips, that's for sure. And how unsurprising that jobotic backs her anti Muslim stance.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Tommy Robwatson on May 23, 2019, 05:16:44 AM
Never clicked this thread before. But it's the right place for Jess Phillips, that's for sure. And how unsurprising that jobotic backs her anti Muslim stance.

Fuck off

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 23, 2019, 07:48:10 AM
Fuck off

Step aside Bubsy. Democracy's coming home. You gave it your best argument, debated your little socks off, stood up, but in the end, smears, lies, BS, ignorance, hate and your persistent fagging for globalism has failed. Jeremy Corbyn is leading (sic) Labour to their worst ever performance in a national election. Cheers JellyfishJez!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Tommy Robwatson on May 23, 2019, 07:54:33 AM
Step aside Bubsy. Democracy's coming home. You gave it your best argument, debated your little socks off, stood up, but in the end, smears, lies, BS, ignorance, hate and your persistent fagging for globalism has failed. Jeremy Corbyn is leading (sic) Labour to their worst ever performance in a national election. Cheers JellyfishJez!

Fuck off

Dr Rock

Same post cut and pasted in three threads?

Fambo Number Mive

Enough money has been raised for the Highworth recall petition to be submitted: https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17658810.highworth-voters-pay-for-and-send-off-high-court-recount-petition/

QuoteA PETITION to recount votes cast for Highworth town councillors in the local election has been signed and sent to the High Court after voters rallied to cover its submission costs.

Residents were shocked when a counting error on election night allocated more votes to each of the 10 Conservative Party councillors elected than the number of overall ballots cast.

A hurriedly-organised fundraising campaign received more than £4,000 in donations to cover the costs involved in petitioning the High Court to fix this mistake after Swindon Borough Council's returning officer admitted that there had been an error...

NoSleep

So odd to me that an admission of error doesn't automatically negate an election result.

Johnny Yesno