Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory Party Watch: parts 8245–8249 & 117

Started by Absorb the anus burn, March 02, 2019, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Oh I see. No I think they'll want to keep up the pressure and show they can destroy the Tory party if they want. It's only a by-election.

NoSleep

Quote from: pancreas on June 21, 2019, 01:56:35 PM
Oh I see. No I think they'll want to keep up the pressure and show they can destroy the Tory party if they want. It's only a by-election.

If the Tories lose one seat they lose their majority of two (only propped up by the DUP at that).

pancreas

Quote from: NoSleep on June 21, 2019, 03:06:52 PM
If the Tories lose one seat they lose their majority of two (only propped up by the DUP at that).

Well, and the remainder of the Tinge. But I take your point. I still predict the BP will stand a candidate.

NoSleep

Tinge will be caught between preventing a GE for their own tiny grip onto power and the Tories' urgent need to go full pro-Brexit or lose credibility with many of the people that usually vote for them. I'd actually forgotten about Tinge UK.

Paul Calf

Quote from: NoSleep on June 21, 2019, 04:25:07 PM
Tinge will be caught between preventing a GE for their own tiny grip onto power and the Tories' urgent need to go full pro-Brexit or lose credibility with many of the people that usually vote for them. I'd actually forgotten about Tinge UK.

Almost all of them are going to lose their seats at the next GE anyway so I'd imagine that delaying that for as long as as possible will be their only plan.

You don't think they'd sacrifice a single penny of their own income to prevent Brexit do you?

NoSleep

I'd forgotten that about Tinge as well; they're vacillating idiots; firmly behind a pro-Brexit Tory Party, then.

Paul Calf

The only way there'll be a GE is either if Johnson thinks he can win and get another five years nailed-on to fill his pockets with state asset fire-sake proceeds or if he pisses off his own MPs and/or the DUP so much that they just go nuclear to get rid of him.

imitationleather

Yeah I think also the Tories are going to wait it out before another election in the hope Corbyn will be gone by then. They know he's in his element when campaigning.

NoSleep

Unfortunately for them, Corbyn's also good at attrition.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Replies From View on June 21, 2019, 07:58:59 AM
Well it's behind a paywall so it might be glossed over.

Really? I'm sure could read the story at the time I posted. Perhaps I hadn't reached my monthly freebie limit at that point, or something. Turns out I can only see the first couple of paragraphs and the comments now. The video no longer seems to be loading either.

Fambo Number Mive

Another example of the Tories not caring about disabled people:

QuoteMinisters have been condemned after admitting that they have not carried out any assessment of the impact that a no-deal Brexit would have on the lives of people with disabilities.

The government was accused of having "ignored" people with a disability after admitting that "no formal assessment" had been conducted, despite fears over a possible lack of medical supplies and health workers if Britain leaves the EU without a deal.

The revelation came in a reply to a parliamentary question from Labour MP Jo Stevens.

Responding, Caroline Dinenage, the care minister, said: "No formal impact assessment has been conducted by the department of the effect on people with disabilities of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union without a deal."...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/no-deal-brexit-disabled-people-impact-government-plan-a8975511.html

Blumf

Universal credit, great success!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48887753
QuoteTens of millions of pounds of public money is believed to have been stolen, with claimants left owing hundreds, after fraudsters targeted Britain's main welfare benefit, universal credit.

The BBC has been told of "money pouring out of the public purse" as criminals make "staggering" bogus online claims.

Claims include one from "a 19-year-old with six blind children" and another saying "Harry Kane" was their landlord.

Another official told the BBC that the Department for Work and Pensions estimates 10% of the 100,000 or more advances paid monthly are potentially bogus.

This suggests that fraud rates on universal credit are about four times higher than on most other benefits.

Ironically, one of the original goals of universal credit was to save about a billion pounds in fraud and error.

Fambo Number Mive

No doubt this will be used by the Tories as an excuse to make things harder for genuine benefit claimants.

Is Jade Thomas' claim that the fraudster had a Job Centre Plus badge going to be investigated?

Replies From View

Universal credit claim revoked because landlord not called Henry Kelly or whatever?  I don't get it.

Inspector Norse

QuoteClaims include one... saying "Harry Kane" was their landlord.

To be fair, it's not a particularly odd name - might have been noteworthy had they claimed the landlord was named Collaterlie Sisters or R2D2.
And it could even be the Harry Kane. Loads of footballers have a property portfolio these days. Doesn't Robbie Fowler own half of Bulgaria?

Replies From View

Knock knock

Who's there

Footballer

Footballer who

Footballer done a goal

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe fire brigade has warned four NHS trusts that they plan to shut down parts of their hospitals because they are so decrepit that they pose a threat to patients and staff.

Fire chiefs have made plain to the trusts that they must make urgent improvements to the units concerned in order to improve safety or face legal action to close them down.

The Care Quality Commission, the watchdog that inspects hospitals and GP surgeries, is also considering using its powers because it fears infrastructure problems risk affecting patients.

Management at the four trusts are worried about the disruption to services if the fire brigades follow through on their warnings. They blame multibillion-pound government raids on the NHS's capital budget in recent years for creating a situation where they have been left without the money to fix worsening problems with hospital buildings such as broken lifts and leaks of water and sewage. Capital funding is used to repair NHS facilities, buy new equipment and build premises...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/09/fire-chiefs-threaten-to-close-dangerous-hospitals

Fambo Number Mive

How much will this cost?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48925345

QuoteThe use of voice search is on the increase and is seen as particularly beneficial to vulnerable patients, such as elderly people and those with visual impairment, who may struggle to access the internet through more traditional means.

Is there not an alternative way of doing this?

Blumf

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 10, 2019, 09:02:36 AM
How much will this cost?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48925345

In theory, Amazon should be paying the NHS for the ability to generate such a huge and lucrative dataset. In practice, I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHS rolling over and waggling it's legs in the air whilst offering a big cheque.

Paul Calf

QuoteAnd she added it was important to remember that not everyone was comfortable using such technology, or could afford it.

It'll cost patients too.

Free to those who can afford it and will tolerate Amazon's ears extending into their homes.

Zetetic

Really this should just be a consequence of open data/content - we should be making decent health information available and freely reproducible (like accurate hospital addresses and bus times).

The issue here is mostly data protection law (and perhaps the DHSS's free advertising for Amazon in fairness).

But... there is some funny business going on here. Alexa's output isn't just the NHS Choices content - it summarises and transforms it. That's against the standard license conditions for NHS Choices content for a start.

And it can't be using the public API because that's subtly broken in some cases where Alexa works (e.g. symptom lists on the webpages but not in the API output). (They might well have just used screen scraping! People have done that at NHS Hack Days.)

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48990760
QuoteUK Prime Minister Theresa May has criticised US President Donald Trump for calling on several Democratic congresswomen of colour to "go back".

The outgoing PM called Mr Trump's words "completely unacceptable", according to her spokesperson.

Yeah... not buying it mate. That 'go back' rhetoric seems very familiar. Bit to late to pretend you're not a cunt, Theresa.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on July 15, 2019, 04:36:36 PM
Bit to late to pretend you're not a cunt, Theresa.

Not really - people have absurdly short memories when it comes to politics.  If she takes this new stance for a few months, nobody will remember anything that contradicts it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on July 15, 2019, 05:22:30 PM
Not really - people have absurdly short memories when it comes to politics.  If she takes this new stance for a few months, nobody will remember anything that contradicts it.

Aha!! She'll remain PM - fucking hell, played the long game she has

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteExtreme poverty – where families are routinely unable to afford regular meals, wash clothes or provide their children with basic items such as beds and sheets – is becoming more common, according to frontline family support workers.

Three-quarters of support professionals such as health visitors and social workers said they had seen an increase in the numbers of families they regularly worked with who experienced destitution and were in need of basic financial support.

Despite more families facing greater difficulties, official support was harder to come by, the survey found. "The only substantive increase in support over the last year was the increase in the number of families support workers have seen using food banks," it read...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/15/destitution-on-the-rise-say-frontline-family-support-workers

Fambo Number Mive

HOW DARE THE STATE FUND CULTURE: https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1151050070583848960

Festivals give young people something to do and might inspire them to get involved in things that divert them from knife crime.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteFigures obtained by BuzzFeed News reveal that the Home Office rejected 310 applications for discretionary leave to remain and 65 asylum claims made by child victims of modern slavery between April 2017 and the end of 2018 — the year the Windrush scandal broke, which led to reversals and embarrassment for the British government.

The freedom of information responses show that the government approved only 16 out of 326 applications made by children officially recognised as modern slavery victims who had requested discretionary leave to remain — an immigration status that can give people a temporary right to stay in the UK if they have suffered extreme hardship. The approval rate for asylum claims was higher, with 136 applications approved out of 201...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/janebradley/child-trafficking-victims-refused-uk

Replies From View

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 17, 2019, 11:31:31 AM
HOW DARE THE STATE FUND CULTURE: https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1151050070583848960

Festivals give young people something to do and might inspire them to get involved in things that divert them from knife crime.

Really depressing comments under that as well.

Blumf

So, there must be an election coming soon...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49041295
QuoteHundreds of thousands of public sector workers are reportedly in line to get a pay rise.

The armed forces will get a 2.9% rise, teachers and school staff 2.75%, police officers, dentists and consultants 2.5%, senior civil servants 2%

NoSleep

All the roadworks around here over the last few months would be an indicator, too.