Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory Party Watch: parts 8245–8249 & 117

Started by Absorb the anus burn, March 02, 2019, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Don't forget his mum was one of "Blair's babes".

Thing is he is so startlingly, consistently, mind-bogglingly stupid, he's even more unqualified to do his job than Boris Johnson, which really does take some doing. Man doesn't even seem to know how to use a question mark

phantom_power

It is almost worth him existing to see Ash Sarkar run rings round him without him even noticing

George Oscar Bluth II

What are the odds that the next leader of the Conservative Party (or, more likely, it's merged successor party with the Brexit Party) is Nigel Farage?

Endicott

Do you think that they'll double down when Brexit melts Boris, and let it melt Farage as well?

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMore than 4 million people in the UK are trapped in deep poverty, meaning their income is at least 50% below the official breadline, locking them into a weekly struggle to afford the most basic living essentials, an independent study has shown.

The Social Metrics Commission also said 7 million people, including 2.3 million children, were affected by what it termed persistent poverty, meaning that they were not only in poverty but had been for at least two of the previous three years.

Highlighting evidence of rising levels of hardship in recent years among children, larger families, lone parent households and pensioners, the commission urged the new prime minister, Boris Johnson, to take urgent action to tackle growing poverty.

The commission's chair, Philippa Stroud, a Conservative peer, said there was a pressing need for a concerted approach to the problem. "It is time to look again at our approach to children, and to invest in our children as the future of our nation," she said.

Campaigners said the commission showed austerity had undermined two decades of anti-poverty policy. "By cutting £40bn a year from our work and pensions budget through cuts and freezes to tax credits and benefits, the government has put progress into reverse," said Alison Garnham, the chief executive of Child Poverty Action Group...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/29/uk-deep-poverty-study-austerity

idunnosomename

Jesus Christ. new cabinet minister going TERFing with Poolia Fartley Pooer

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1068477170526445568

i know she is a total simpleton but it's amazing to see this passive-aggressive hateful shit being endorsed by someone in government

phantom_power

Imagine being on the same side of the argument as those two shit stains. Surely this must bring Glinner back to reality

pigamus

Nadine Dorries is so thick she probably genuinely didn't know what it meant. "Oh I'd always wondered! Thank you so much!"

jobotic

God these people just get more and more disgusting and there are never ever any consequences for any of them.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on July 29, 2019, 10:37:55 PM
God these people just get more and more disgusting and there are never ever any consequences for any of them.

I blame those on here always looking in their crystal balls and making predictions that never bear fruit. All out pessimism meets rage is my solution

Johnny Yesno

BlodwynPig

Yes, all this equality, diversity, olympics 2012 smugness can get to fuck in light of that strapline

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteCash-strapped parents have been going without meals to stop their children going hungry during the school holidays, MPs have heard.

The Government was urged by the influential Commons work and pensions committee to extend support for families so they could all be fed.

It came after the Mirror revealed that record levels of children would be going hungry during the long summer break.

Frank Field, chairman of the Work and Pensions Select Committee, said MPs had heard 'profoundly distressing' evidence from mothers who spoke of their struggles during the summer holidays.

The Labour MP has written to new Education Secretary Gavin Williamson and Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd to urge them to take immediate action to help struggling families...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/cash-strapped-parents-go-starving-18801929

Kelvin

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 29, 2019, 11:34:24 AM
Don't forget his mum was one of "Blair's babes".

I never knew he was the son of Glenda Jackson. I've just looked up her views on Corbyn, and despite a misleading daily mail headline, an interview in the Daily Beast seems dispirited but not hostile. She doesn't think they'll win a majority, but she also doesn't think he's an anti semite, and seems to regard Corbyn well as an MP. She's been accused of anti-Semitism herself after criticising the Israel government apparently, and even suggests that many of the current accusations are misreading or misinterpretations.

Certainly doesn't sound anything like her cunt of a son on the subject.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tony-nominee-glenda-jackson-on-awards-jeremy-corbyn-anti-semitism-and-dancing-with-fred-astaire

EOLAN

Does there seem to be  significantly less attention on the Brecon and Radnorshire by-election. An election that could cut the govenment majority to one; with one sitting MP possibly considering defection (more than likely looking for media attention). A chance to see if the anti-Brexit Liberals can take a heavily Brexit seat. A test of Johnson's promises to secure funding for farmers. A by-election called due to a recall of an MP for claiming false expenses.
Yet it seems to get a lot less coverage than the Peterbrough by-election despite having more significance in the House of Commons. i suppose the Brexit likely win and Corbyn's likely defeat were sexier stories.

So currently the Tories+DUP have a majority of two.  Can someone explain why the Tories losing the Brecon seat would cut their majority to one, and not zero?  I mean, the seat doesn't just vanish if they lose it; it's -1 to them and +1 to the opposition, so surely they lose their majority completely?  Happy to be told why I'm being an idiot here.

Edit: or is it that they've already lost the seat because their MP has been given the boot?  Yeah, it's that isn't it.  You can still call me an idiot though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 01, 2019, 01:56:15 PM
So currently the Tories+DUP have a majority of two.  Can someone explain why the Tories losing the Brecon seat would cut their majority to one, and not zero?  I mean, the seat doesn't just vanish if they lose it; it's -1 to them and +1 to the opposition, so surely they lose their majority completely?  Happy to be told why I'm being an idiot here.

Edit: or is it that they've already lost the seat because their MP has been given the boot?  Yeah, it's that isn't it.

I saw this a few weeks ago on the news - the majority would be zero, but in a follow-up segment it said the majority would be 1.

greenman

In the event of no majority Britania casts the deciding vote and she's a tory.

poodlefaker

Dan Hodges got badly glassed in a pub many years ago, IIRC, which led to his old mum campaigning for a change to beerglass design: she promised something that would shatter on impact, like a car windscreen. Sadly "Vote Labour for a thicker pintpot" wasn't a winner, so we never saw the results of such vision.

phantom_power

I feel sorry for her.  Imagine being a bit of an old lefty and having that right wing Mail journo shit stain for a son

pigamus

I'm surprised people think the Lib Dems are nailed on for this by-election. I can see it being a lot closer.

Alberon

Quote from: pigamus on August 01, 2019, 03:03:14 PM
I'm surprised people think the Lib Dems are nailed on for this by-election. I can see it being a lot closer.

The Brexit Party is still around though their vote should diminish as some of their voters will believe Johnson's bluster.

Mr_Simnock

Would be great if the Libs got this seat from the tory scumsters and yes it would cut there majority to 0, not 1.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 01, 2019, 06:52:40 PM
Would be great if the Libs got this seat from the tory scumsters and yes it would cut there majority to 0, not 1.

A majority of 0 = no government then? What archaic law will they use to weasel out of abdication?

pigamus

I think the Speaker votes for the Government in event of a tie - do they factor that in?