Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:39:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory Party Watch: parts 8245–8249 & 117

Started by Absorb the anus burn, March 02, 2019, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 16, 2019, 08:53:49 AM
'Country not at war doesn't need huge standing military' shocker.

What's actually going on with this sudden pressure to build up police and military, I wonder?

Almost like a biggy post. There is no sudden pressure, these are just arbitrarily set personnel figures that the MOD believes it needs in each of the forces to maintain what it sees as a credible 'defence' for want of a better word. As shown in the article numbers have been falling for years but the gov response has been bugger all to do anything about it. Personally I don't think we need 82,000 troops (60,000 should do) and the Navy is just fine as it is despite being the smallest in number of ships it's ever been.

BlodwynPig

We dont need any military. Its not the 15th century

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think we need a bigger navy, or at least.. Some form of auxiliary navy at least but not to wage war: defence and rescue. Migration and climate disaster is going to shape activity around European waters for the whole century.

Likewise most of the standing army should be repurposed to assist with national emergencies.

And, most pressingly, any form of militaristic jingoism should be subject to onerous media regulation.

Young people should be educated against militarism but actively encouraged to volunteer in the peace activities of this new institution.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 16, 2019, 11:58:52 AM
Almost like a biggy post. There is no sudden pressure, these are just arbitrarily set personnel figures that the MOD believes it needs in each of the forces to maintain what it sees as a credible 'defence' for want of a better word. As shown in the article numbers have been falling for years but the gov response has been bugger all to do anything about it. Personally I don't think we need 82,000 troops (60,000 should do) and the Navy is just fine as it is despite being the smallest in number of ships it's ever been.

Cool story bro.

Cuellar

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 16, 2019, 12:43:13 PM
Likewise most of the standing army should be repurposed to assist with national emergencies.

Young people should be educated against militarism but actively encouraged to volunteer in the peace activities of this new institution.

We could call it something like the 'Big Society'

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 16, 2019, 08:53:49 AM
'Country not at war doesn't need huge standing military' shocker.

What's actually going on with this sudden pressure to build up police and military, I wonder?

Tbh, I'd rather have more police than facial recognition surveillance everywhere.

pancreas

idunnosomename

be nice if he got charged with dangerous driving and there was a braintree by-election but aint gonna happen, is it. because he's a rich tory

NoSleep

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 16, 2019, 10:53:24 PM
Tbh, I'd rather have more police than facial recognition surveillance everywhere.

So back to the old black facial recognition system.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on August 21, 2019, 01:54:05 PM
So back to the old black facial recognition system.

You can still be prejudiced with surveillance equipment, you know? If anything, its clandestine nature lends itself to that.

sponk

Or the cops can just use it as an excuse to arrest minorities"sorry bro, we didn't think you were a wrong 'un but the AI does, above our heads" they do that with police dogs already

idunnosomename

everyone who writes for the telegraph should be killed

Paul Calf

I've found a handy example of a Conservative face.

Johnny Yesno

BlodwynPig

Blumf

imitationleather

I had to check it wasn't a parody account.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49532243

Oh I'm angry, I'm so angry

What are you gonna do about it?

.... Hmm. Nothing.

Paul Calf

QuoteJavid cash boost
It comes as Mr Javid pledged to invest an extra £400m in further education for 16 to 19-year-olds next year when he sets out his spending plans on Wednesday.

'Cash boost'. An insultingly small sticking plaster over the gaping wound of mass education.

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: Blumf on August 30, 2019, 12:29:21 AM
Fucking hell, hilarious! Capping that for posterity:

I'm from Hartlepool, sometimes I wish I wasn't, it makes Basildon look left wing