Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:58:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tory Party Watch: parts 8245–8249 & 117

Started by Absorb the anus burn, March 02, 2019, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 20, 2019, 01:34:33 PM
Kwasi Karteng was on Radio 4 this morning, said an internal enquiry into Islamophobia in the Conservative Party was underway,  but couldn't/wouldn't say who was leading said enquiry.

Tommy Robinson, surely?

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteTHE Scottish Tories are under growing pressure to explain their links to a secretive funding operation which was fined for consistently failing to follow rules on donations.

Acting leader Jackson Carlaw has also been asked if he will return or continue to receive money from the Scottish Unionist Association Trust (SUAT), which has given the party more than £320,000 since 2001.

The Electoral Commission this week fined the SUAT a total of £1800 for three offences related to undeclared income of more than £200,000 and £100,000 of spending.

The watchdog said the SUAT "consistently failed to provide proper notification of its activities as an unincorporated association and as a members association" and as a result the public "did not have the transparency it was entitled to have of SUAT's finances".

The 50-year-old SUAT, which was at the heart of a row over so-called Tory 'dark money', or untraceable funds, accepted the findings and paid the fines last month...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17917544.carlaw-facing-questions-tory-dark-money-unit/?ref=twtrec

Cuellar

Desmond Swayne did a race dozy

QuoteLabour have condemned the veteran Conservative backbencher Desmond Swayne for describing criticism of Justin Trudeau's admission he had worn blackface make-up as "the latest absurdity of political correctness".

In a post on his personal blog, the New Forest West MP said there had been no need for the Canadian prime minister to make a "cringing apology" for wearing what Trudeau called "racist" makeup to a costume party in 2001.

"It was a themed 'Arabian Nights' fancy-dress party for heaven's sake!" Swayne wrote. "It comes to something when you can't dress-up as Aladdin without attracting the opprobrium of the 'great and good'. He would have done better to have said it was an entirely acceptable bit of fun and refused to apologise."

Swayne went on: "I once went to a 'Blues Brothers' themed fancy-dress party as James Brown. I went to some trouble to be as authentic as possible. I can assure readers of this column that I have no intention of apologising."

Dawn Butler, Labour's shadow women and equalities secretary, said the comments were "another example of a politician not even trying to understand the history of oppression".

imitationleather

I always thought that guy looked like the sort of oddball that a few years ago would have been a Gogglebox UKIP "national treasure". And here we are.

petril

Quote from: colacentral on September 27, 2019, 04:22:33 PM

Desmond Swayne, earlier today.

"your mother wants you to get DIVORCED, because she can't stand YOUR HUSBAND?!?!"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

jobotic

Oh no another corrupt Brexiter.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/30/revealed-owen-paterson-lobbied-for-firms-he-was-paid-to-advise

I bet he's in deep shit. oh no wait, this kind of thing is perfectly acceptable in the Born To Rule Party now isn't it?

sponk

What happened regarding that car crash James Cleverly was allegedly in? The original tweet is gone and I haven't seen an article about it since it was mentioned

idunnosomename

The party probably helped him settle it out of court, NDA to bloke in return for a payout and new car. What do you expect. journalists to actually do some investigating by ringing people up and asking them questions, rather than just looking through their whatsapp groups of "Downing Street sources" in order to repeat their policies in their fucking rags

bgmnts

National Living Wage will rise to £10.50 apparently.

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on September 30, 2019, 05:00:42 PM
National Living Wage will rise to £10.50 apparently.

The wording is actually vague enough to allow them to not bother doing this.

They're aiming to be at that level by 2024, as I understood it. For those over 21.

They've found that magic money tree again, haven't they? That one they promise to use for the people's benefit before every election...

Cuellar

"We will see if we can try to attempt to raise the living wage to £10.50"

imitationleather

"We pledge to announce that we are raising the living wage."

gilbertharding

Blumf

They want it to look like they're promising a whole extra 50p over Labour's proposal: 'whoopee plebs, an extra fifty fucking pence to spend on lager and bingo and what not!' but that ignores the vague wording of their proposal: that they're aiming to be at that level sometime in the future (nominally 2024 but who the fuck knows, I mean things come up don't they, eh?), versus Labour's election promise to introduce their £10 minimum wage next year, which would then be tied to inflation from then on...

Therefore Labour's minimum wage would have already gone up by 2024 and will inevitably be (marginally) higher than the £10.50 the Tories propose that they might, one day, work towards introducing. And would be for everyone over 18, rather than 21.

Not that any of that will be reported of course, it'll just be: Boris' Brexit Bonanza - 50p More for Brits to Spend! Luvverly Jubbly!

king_tubby

imitationleather

kalowski

Quote from: king_tubby on September 30, 2019, 07:51:13 PM
Tories and houses, eh?

https://twitter.com/RobertJenrick/status/1178570511263178752

How could this go wrong in any way????
Add two storeys? So I could end up with a four storey house? At least that means I can peer into the gardens all around the neighborhood.

Johnny Yesno

hamfist

Paul Calf

Quote from: king_tubby on September 30, 2019, 07:51:13 PM
Tories and houses, eh?

https://twitter.com/RobertJenrick/status/1178570511263178752

How could this go wrong in any way????

This is actually what happens in impoverished, developing countries and regions: people build as high as they can afford and add on as they make more money. It results more often than not in an unpleasant mess that blocks out light and interferes with drainage.

BlodwynPig

But you can hop on an elephant to get to work straight from your bedroom

Cuellar

But think of how much more rent you could squeeze out of your buy-to-lets if you can just plonk two extra storeys on. Two flats per floor, 4 extra tenants at circa 800 a month, fucking get in. Ka-ching!

NoSleep

So it's now ok, without planning permission, to block the sun from your neighbour's garden. Good luck with that.

jobotic

Your neighbour can just put their garden on giant stilts. What's the problem?

Unless they can't afford it. Then who cares?

BlodwynPig

Every man's home is his Howl's Moving Castle