Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:10:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shit being taken off Spotify

Started by grassbath, March 02, 2019, 01:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassbath

What is going on? It's very fucking important that I listen to 'Stars/Feelings' live at Montreux 1976 by Nina Simone, and I can't.

grassbath

Obviously I could listen to it on YouTube, but I wanted to listen to it in context of my 'the best shit ever' playlist, which contains what the title would suggest.

momatt

Not arsed mate, mp3s and vinyl.

Things like this is why Spotify is a nice convenience, but will never be my main music source.

I don't know why Spotify deletes stuff but it is a common practice with them.

McFlymo

Spotify has been behaving in a very buggy way on my iphone lately. Don't know if it's the iphone (and/or Apple trying to make me upgrade, because they're shady fuckers) or it's just Spotify being weird.

What are y'all's thoughts of Spotify not giving much money to indie artists / labels etc.?

It's my main place to hear music (it's very handy) and I use bandcamp, soundcloud and youtube a little, but I like that I can get most of the music I'll ever want on Spotify at decent 320kb quality and being able to download it for those times away from 3G or wifi, however, reading more and more about how these streaming services are ripping off artists and making music even more disposable and undervalued. I could never get into iTunes - such a clusterfuck of an app, so what else is there?

I've been tempted to get back into vinyl recently, but worried that could be an expensive rabbit hole. 

purlieu

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on March 04, 2019, 06:26:40 PM
I don't know why Spotify deletes stuff but it is a common practice with them.
They don't delete it: artists and/or labels remove the music from distribution.

I use Spotify for occasionally throwing a few songs on or checking out new releases - for both of which, the free version is fine. If you want to spend money on supporting the artists, buy a release or go to a show. There's no two ways around it. A small percentage do manage to make a healthy income from streaming, but for most it's pittance and not a remotely sustainable alternative to actually selling stuff.