Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,468
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hooky merchandise

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, March 02, 2019, 06:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buzby on March 05, 2019, 08:08:11 AM
*later on he says it was a Baritone, rather than a Bass VI

in 1981? I don't think so. he would've been able to buy an old fender bass VI- they stopped making them in 1974-5. there weren't japanese copies of them, nor had fender-japan begun reissues.
if it was a fender, it was a bass VI. if it was a baritone, it wasn't a fender.

buzby

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 06, 2019, 12:19:55 AM
in 1981? I don't think so. he would've been able to buy an old fender bass VI- they stopped making them in 1974-5. there weren't japanese copies of them, nor had fender-japan begun reissues.
if it was a fender, it was a bass VI. if it was a baritone, it wasn't a fender.
He wasn't buying it- he was hiring it. He proceeds to say he then snapped all the strings trying to tune it as he didn't know there was a difference and so had to adapt the 6 string bass parts to play them on the Yamaha 4-string.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buzby on March 06, 2019, 01:56:51 AM
He wasn't buying it- he was hiring it. He proceeds to say he then snapped all the strings trying to tune it as he didn't know there was a difference and so had to adapt the 6 string bass parts to play them on the Yamaha 4-string.

well, it still wasn't a fender baritone I don't think.

buzby

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 06, 2019, 03:02:38 AM
well, it still wasn't a fender baritone I don't think.
It wouldn't be the only thing in his books of questionable veracity.

buzby

Is Hooky in legal jeopardy here?

buzby

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 11, 2019, 09:47:10 AM
Is Hooky in legal jeopardy here?
Unlikely. Most of the catalogue descriptions were written with enough wriggle room in most cases. For example, the Transcendent 2000 entry (my bold):
The Joy Division synthesizer hand built by Barney, as supplied in kit form by Electronics Today magazine, or something like that. He did a great job and the synth was then used extensively on tracks like LOVE WILL TEAR US APART, ISOLATION, DECADES, HEART AND SOUL, THE ETERNAL, SOMETHING MUST BREAK etc etc . This is not the original sadly.
However, the description of the bell chimes has no such tagged-on get-out clause:
CHIMES FROM CARGO STUDIOS USED ON "ATMOSPHERE". 24 bar set of brass chimes on a wooden block (missing 4 chimes). Tried and tested and sounding great!
"As used very distinctively on ATMOSPHERE by JOY DIVISION instigated by Martin Hannett. These were lying around Cargo Studios for years along with along with Nico's old harmonium. When I changed Cargo to Sweet Sixteen this had gone. Then John Brierley returned them for The Joy Division Exhibition at The Factory. I have no idea what happened to the Harmonium."
Steve's quoted description of how the sound was created using the AMS delay sounds more like what is on the record than a bell chime (and would fit with Hannett's working methods).

Anyone with any knowledge of JD and NO who has read his books should know to take anything Hook says which a whole tub of Saxa (and in some cases what he wrote in the books directly contradicted the auction descriptions, e,g. his original Shergold Marathon 6 being stolen in the NY van theft). As I said earlier in the thread, most of the gear in the auction looks like stuff he bought to recreate the JD and early NO sounds for his 'whole album' self-tribute act tours with the Light, so selling them as 'original' gear was disingenous at best.

Viero_Berlotti

Peter Hook? Peter Crook more like....

This article from 10 years ago shows he has form for this kind of thing:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/oct/07/peter-hook-ian-curtis-signature