Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Liam Williams' Ladhood on TV

Started by BritishHobo, March 02, 2019, 07:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Fuckin hell! Liam Williams' brilliant radio comedy Ladhood is getting a TV version, to air on BBC3. I know there was a lot of love for this over in the Pls Like thread, so hopefully quite a few people here will be as delighted by this news as I am.

Should be fun to see how the format is. Either way it's exciting to see him get a full TV comedy, and also in general to get a TV comedy looking at pre-teen and teenage life in the age of MSN and the like, which is surprisingly rare.

ArtParrott

Loved the radio show, particularly the first series which someone from this forum was kind enough to hook me up with. This sounds like quite a bit of different beast though.

BlodwynPig

It's a shame that a few people didn't like his turn as the Hacktivist in This Time. I like his style.

Beagle 2

Oh man, I didn't even know the radio version existed and it's all on Sounds. Very much looking forward to that, he's ace.

dirkgonnadirk

whenever i see his name i always think about that comedy blaps thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXo-h-CHHyc

pretty memorable for some reason. i might rewatch later.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: dirkgonnadirk on March 03, 2019, 10:49:56 PM
whenever i see his name i always think about that comedy blaps thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXo-h-CHHyc

pretty memorable for some reason. i might rewatch later.

he he - didn't know about this. "Chicken Dippers..."

paruses

Just giving this a listen now as it passed me by before.

If anyone has the inclination and knowledge - can you tell me the track that's playing in the background of the intro to S1E01 (House Party)? It's driving me mad.

Thanks.

rasta-spouse

I like his poetic northerner/loiner thing. His Live at the BBC set was decent, and I've seen one episode of Pls Like. You get the feeling there's depth.

The only problem I had, initally, was his voice is kind of booming. Over it.

notjosh

Quote from: paruses on March 07, 2019, 01:46:53 PM
If anyone has the inclination and knowledge - can you tell me the track that's playing in the background of the intro to S1E01 (House Party)? It's driving me mad.

If you mean S1E04 (House Party), Shazam identifies it as Come With Me by Special D.

If S1E01 (The Fight) then apparently it's Heater by Major Kap.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 07, 2019, 01:55:57 PM
I like his poetic northerner/loiner thing. His Live at the BBC set was decent, and I've seen one episode of Pls Like. You get the feeling there's depth.

I love his voice. I wish I had a nice booming voice like him.

BritishHobo

Quote from: https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/03/08/42479/liam_williams_writes_his_first_novelLiam Williams has written his first book – which will be released as an audiobook before coming out in print.

Homes & Experiences tells of 30-year-old Mark on a trip round Europe undertaking such endeavours as 'mindful croissant making' at a wellness retreat, trial 'silent disco kayaking' on the Tiber, and making authentic baklava in Greece.

The story, described as 'funny, warm and deeply human' is told through a series of emails back to a pal who should have been accompanying Mark – but they had a massive falling-out before he left.

Hodder & Stoughton will release the audiobook, read by Pls Like star Williams himself, in March 2020 followed by a hardback edition two months later.

The comic told trade website The Bookseller: "This project has been a real joy to undertake, it having been an adulthood-long ambition to complete a novel.

'The fact that it'll be an audio release first makes it feel a continuation of my radio work, which has helped to outbalance the impostor syndrome inevitable in taking on such a challenging form for the first time.'

The publisher's editorial director Emma Herdman said the structure of the book 'works perfectly for listening to in podcast-length chunks or binging in one weekend'.

Williams's acclaimed Radio 4 Ladhood is to be made into a BBC Three series, it was also announced last month.

Exciting stuff!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 07, 2019, 01:55:57 PM

Pls Like is excellent and just gets better and better as it goes along, and it has a fantastic performance from Tim Key in it too so I'd definitely recommend checking out the rest of it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 09, 2019, 03:24:54 PM
Pls Like is excellent and just gets better and better as it goes along, and it has a fantastic performance from Tim Key in it too so I'd definitely recommend checking out the rest of it.

I can't get hold of the second series sadly, but I think it was down to you that I started to watch it (which is odd, as our tastes rarely merge in terms of visual tastes - other tastes, well...;) ).

BritishHobo

Lovely surprise to see this is now out on iPlayer, every episode as well. And on the strength of the first episode it's really really good. Liam's got such a fucking great, unique voice, he's doing stuff in comedy about lads and masculinity and millenials and childhood/teen life in the early noughties that I've not found anyone else doing, or at least not with his mad precision. Gags like the Arundhati Roy one at the start of episode 1, he's just brilliant.

Utter Shit

I'd never heard of this prior to seeing this thread, I've now watched five episodes in a row and am just about to start the last one. What a fabulous, unique show. I'm around Williams' age so all his experiences sync up roughly with mine, it's a real nostalgia trip.

ProvanFan

Quote from: notjosh on March 07, 2019, 02:01:24 PM
If you mean S1E04 (House Party), Shazam identifies it as Come With Me by Special D.

I am sold

BritishHobo

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 27, 2019, 01:02:29 PM
I'd never heard of this prior to seeing this thread, I've now watched five episodes in a row and am just about to start the last one. What a fabulous, unique show. I'm around Williams' age so all his experiences sync up roughly with mine, it's a real nostalgia trip.

Glad to hear it! If you can get ahold of them you should definitely check out the radio shows. I thought the show might adapt it fairly faithfully but to be fair it feels like they went above and beyond to make a lot of it new and different even if you'd listened to them all.

Just finished. Wanted to drag it out but I just had to keep watching. There was a proper anger and rawness behind it that I fucking loved, especially that last episode. And proper funny. And as Utter Shit said, it's great getting someone putting that era of ladhood on-screen. MSN and Happy Hardcore and your shit mobile phone being good only for awkwardly texting girls.

Really hope there's a series 2. I loved how he strung it all together, making the interjections more of a look back on what made the Liam character how he is. All the kicking bins. And so good with the shame of looking back and remembering yourself to actually have been quite a shitty person sometimes. Openmouthed a bit at some of the turns in the last episode, it was so well done. FUCK it was good.

chveik

is there a way to watch this outside the uk?

notjosh

Only watched the first episode so far, but fucking hell, I hadn't thought about that trick of putting one arm through both jacket sleeves and using the other one to punch up the inside of the jacket for years. More of that sort of thing please.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 02, 2019, 10:47:56 PM
It's a shame that a few people didn't like his turn as the Hacktivist in This Time. I like his style.

Who didn't like that? I want names.

Did he do a thing on BBC 3 about internet personalities a couple of years ago? Please Like? Was that him? That were reet good.

Loved it, ended up watching all of them back to back when they came out last Sunday. Will always have a lot of affection for Liam Williams because he was an act I saw a lot when I was going to see stand up most often, but especially for this because I remember seeing him read out a WIP of The Fight after one of his shows. To see it go from the Invisible Dot stage to radio to TV is fantastic

Blue Jam

[tag]Mary Whitehouse turns in her grave[/tag]

Small Man Big Horse

I liked the first episode but found parts of it bleak as hell, the ending especially, I'll definitely watch more of it but I hope it's not always that depressing.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 29, 2019, 07:52:38 PM
I liked the first episode but found parts of it bleak as hell, the ending especially, I'll definitely watch more of it but I hope it's not always that depressing.

Someone from Taskmaster who I know you have a crush on turns up pretty soon as a supply teacher, so keep watching.

j_u_d_a_s

What if Inbetweeners but no jokes.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 29, 2019, 09:18:40 PM
Someone from Taskmaster who I know you have a crush on turns up pretty soon as a supply teacher, so keep watching.

Intriguing, I've never seen Alex Horne as an actor before so will look forward to that!

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on November 29, 2019, 11:06:24 PM
What if Inbetweeners but no jokes.

something along those lines, however, the two other bullies are spectacularly well written.

checkoutgirl

It's good enough if not amazing but can we agree it isn't a comedy? If it is a comedy I've watched it wrong.

Utter Shit