Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:02:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Broadband/Router Question

Started by Malcy, March 02, 2019, 11:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

I'm with Vodafone and the connection has been cutting out more and more recently. They sent me a new router last week but it's still cutting out.

Their solution was to plug the Ethernet cable into another port and said make sure the router is away from my TV setup because it interfered which I already knew.

Thing is my Xbox is connected by cable to the router so surely if the wi-fi signal was being interrupted by nearby tech it wouldn't affect the actual connection to the Xbox and just the wi-fi signal?

Are they fobbing me off with excuses or Is this possible?

ToneLa

-redacted, I put a lot of work in but it got shit on

Twed

Quote from: ToneLa on March 02, 2019, 11:30:25 PM
There is some vague truth in moving a router away from a TV but it basically just boils down to "metal interferes with WiFi".
Many TVs do generate excessive RF. It's not really about them being made of metal (which they aren't for the most part).

Rant: The way the UK forces customers to use proprietary, shit all-in-one equipment for broadband is ridiculous.

Malcy, you are spot-on with their excuses about the XBox and their excuses. You need to escalate to a higher level of support.

Wilbur

If you can afford it just spend £60 on a decent router.

touchingcloth

How long has your contract got left to run? If they're not able to sort things out, you should be able to argue for leaving your contract without paying any early exit fees.

Malcy

Quote from: ToneLa on March 02, 2019, 11:30:25 PM
-redacted, I put a lot of work in but it got shit on

Ah bollocks, before I got the chance to reply to it. I did read it  though so thanks.

Quote from: Twed on March 03, 2019, 12:32:05 AM
Many TVs do generate excessive RF. It's not really about them being made of metal (which they aren't for the most part).

Rant: The way the UK forces customers to use proprietary, shit all-in-one equipment for broadband is ridiculous.

Malcy, you are spot-on with their excuses about the XBox and their excuses. You need to escalate to a higher level of support.

Yeah I had a feeling it was just excuses and trying to lay the blame on me.

Quote from: Wilbur on March 03, 2019, 09:16:03 AM
If you can afford it just spend £60 on a decent router.

I can't and shouldn't really have to. I've read this morning that people have requested Vodafone to pay for 3rd party routers when all other avenues have been explored and they have.

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 03, 2019, 11:02:22 AM
How long has your contract got left to run? If they're not able to sort things out, you should be able to argue for leaving your contract without paying any early exit fees.

10 months, although it seems I have the right to leave if this problem continues for much longer. I've moved the router but I'm limited to where I can put it. It's now out of eyesight so I can't see it flashing when it's gone down. Firing up the Xbox in a while to see if it acts up again.

Thanks for the replies folks.

jonbob

Next time you call them ask them what their drop out logs show, any ISP should have something that shows them how many times the connection from the modem to their servers has been lost

Twed

Tone, I wasn't shitting on you. There's nothing massively wrong with what you said. I have worked with wifi at the physical/signal level and have experienced the wrath of noisy TVs and how much better things worked when they were unplugged. Just refining the good stuff you had already mentioned.

ToneLa

Quote from: Twed on March 03, 2019, 11:14:06 PM
Tone, I wasn't shitting on you. There's nothing massively wrong with what you said. I have worked with wifi at the physical/signal level and have experienced the wrath of noisy TVs and how much better things worked when they were unplugged. Just refining the good stuff you had already mentioned.

Soz personal life drowning me. No offence taken now mate thanks for helpin this guy oot he got fobbed off!!

Dex Sawash

Hijack- does CaB still like those round Ubiquiti thingies for a WiFi mesh setup? Been prolly 2 years since I started thinking about mesh setup.

Twed

I do. I don't use the mesh, but the AC AP Lite works well for me at home and I gave an old one to work and that works well with lots of people too.

Wilbur

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 04, 2019, 01:36:28 AM

Hijack- does CaB still like those round Ubiquiti thingies for a WiFi mesh setup? Been prolly 2 years since I started thinking about mesh setup.

Yes they are great in a company with a large premises but possibly massive overkill for a normal size house. The software can be flaky as hell as well. But yes they are good pieces of kit. Be aware that they are mainly intended for power over IP so you may need extra power in the vicinity of your router.

Malcy

Quote from: jonbob on March 03, 2019, 10:55:06 PM
Next time you call them ask them what their drop out logs show, any ISP should have something that shows them how many times the connection from the modem to their servers has been lost

He said he had noticed a lot. Bit didn't seem overly concerned and sad it must have been where my router was.

I think he's confusing the wi-fi signal not working with the fact it is the Internet signal that is dropping. But wouldn't listen really, just gave the answers he probably has in front of him.

Not been as bad since but it's still gone off mid tv stream and at a right crucial bit in a game. Have to report back to them tomorrow.

Yussef Dent

Vodafone's routers are absolutely horrendous, they really have to do something about it as it's a well known issue. Used to be with Virgin Media for ages (wouldn't have switched to Vodafone if it was my choice), their Superhubs were terrible in that they weren't very strong or would just stop functioning and you had to get another router and use the Superhub as a modem to work in tandem with it. They brought out an updated one which covered the whole house easily and a fair distance outside the house. Vodafone need to do that. Using an extender has fixed the problem but as you say, we shouldn't have to fork out money just because they've skimped and dished out an inferior product.

Malcy

Update on this.

Cut out twice on me earlier. Flew into a rage and rang them up. They are asking me to try the test port again to see if the issue is at the wall socket. I don't have a small enough screwdriver so they said they'll ring back tomorrow. Have to monitor it for 24 hrs so that's not going to work really.

Said that it could just be a small problem and will only cost ME a couple of quid. ME! Really had enough now. Can't fault the woman who I was on to though. We struggled to understand each other at first but we ended up having a laugh. Good way to calm me down a bit anyway!