Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:58:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ongoing response to Michael Jackson’s music

Started by TheMonk, March 03, 2019, 09:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

So looks like Michael Jackson's legacy is about to be  destroyed this time around.
But what do you think will happen to his music?
I've heard his songs twice in public in the last week. It's become like wallpaper but all of a sudden seems oddly out of place in a cafe full of families or a supermarket.
So will it all disappear from Spotify et al? Mighty hole.
Will Billie Jean never light up a wedding reception  dance floor again?
Will the amazing influence of the Thriller video be wallpapered over in 80's retrospectives?

Personally I loved some of his music but right now perhaps I've heard it enough in this lifetime.

magval

Perhaps naively, I think that it's too good, and will continue to be in the background at all times.

Gary Glitter's music probably wasn't too great a sacrifice once his reputation went south. This music is too class.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Given that Bad, Dangerous Thriller and Off The Wall all predate the various child-bothering incidents, does that mean they're in the clear? Cause losing anything after that clearly isn't a huge loss.

TheMonk

I think he was into it around Bad and definitely Dangerous by the sounds.
So going by this i'd be  happy with just Off The Wall and Thriller.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Sorry that's my fuckup there, I meant Thriller. Edited it now.

The Michael Jackson thing has been an open secret that the world simply chose to disbelieve. Because there's too much good music, including Jackson Five, to throw in the bin. This will be a tricky one, as I don't think you can enjoy the work released before the first alleged offence. It has to be all or nothing.

DrGreggles

Anyone who fails to separate the art from the artist is, in my opinion, a flipping dilbert.

Oh yeah, I said it.

the science eel

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 03, 2019, 11:17:41 AM
Anyone who fails to separate the art from the artist is, in my opinion, a flipping dilbert.

Oh yeah, I said it.

That's it, basically.

You're missing out if you reject the works of....oh, YOU know!

alan nagsworth

Ahh wouldn't it be great if life's problems were as black and white as that?

HAHA LIKE JACKO

Head Gardener

FredNurke

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 03, 2019, 11:17:41 AM

Oh yeah, I said it.

That Scott Adams is a right cunt and all.

daf

Hiding in plain sight all along :

Because I'm Bad
Come On
(Bad Bad-Really, Really Bad)
You Know I'm Bad, I'm Bad
You Know It
You Know I'm Bad, I'm Bad
You Know It, You Know
And The Whole World Has To
Answer Right Now
(And The Whole World Has To
Answer Right Now)
Just To Tell You Once Again,
(Just To Tell You Once Again)
Who's Bad...

But his work is so entrenched in global popular culture, his legacy is "Invincible". It's not as if any of this is news to anybody.

Quote from: daf on March 03, 2019, 02:13:53 PM
Hiding in plain sight all along :

Mother always told me,
"Be careful of who you love,
And be careful of what you do
'Cause the lie becomes the truth."

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 03, 2019, 02:35:30 PM
But his work is so entrenched in global popular culture, his legacy is "Invincible". It's not as if any of this is news to anybody.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I reckon a high-profile four-hour documentary in which two of Jackson's victims discuss the abuse they suffered in relentlessly graphic detail will probably encourage lots of people to finally accept something they didn't want to believe.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TheMonk on March 03, 2019, 10:44:45 AM
I think he was into it around Bad and definitely Dangerous by the sounds.
So going by this i'd be  happy with just Off The Wall and Thriller.

Bizarre statement.

Hitler did that painting in 1926, so that gets a pass.

Music doesn't rape children, Michael Jackson does.

It could be happening already- I played Wanna Be Starting Something while DJing a couple of weeks ago (not for reasons of edgelordery, I wasn't aware of Finding Neverland till this week) and it killed the dancefloor. Haven't seen that happen with a peak era MJ tune since his 90s nadir.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: bim sherman shirts on March 03, 2019, 07:36:22 PM
It could be happening already- I played Wanna Be Starting Something while DJing a couple of weeks ago (not for reasons of edgelordery, I wasn't aware of Finding Neverland till this week) and it killed the dancefloor. Haven't seen that happen with a peak era MJ tune since his 90s nadir.

'killed' as in 'floor-filled killed' or 'cleared the room killed'?

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 03, 2019, 08:30:54 PM
'killed' as in 'floor-filled killed' or 'cleared the room killed'?

The latter, it was bad. And not as in good.

Does this mean Alien Ant Farm will have to disown their hit?

buzby

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 03, 2019, 02:54:14 PM
Music doesn't rape children, Michael Jackson does.
[tag]GLC admit latest song lyrics 'need work'[/tag]

kalowski

BlodwynPig

rue the polywhirl

I only ever listen to Jacko stuff up to and including Thriller which is before when all the allegations start to pile up so that stuff could be put aside into the 'safe list' and maybe potentially up to Smooth Criminal as well. All the plastic surgery he's had over the years means the Jacko in the 80s is probably a different person to the one in the 90s therefore the crimes have to be carefully attributed to the latter as opposed to the former.

ToneLa

I reckon Cirque du Soleil should collaborate with Quincy Jones and stage a fantastic, elaborate live-action reinterpretation that absolutely absolves Michael Jackson of paedophilia so we may revel in the glory of "Ben"

Lordofthefiles

Surely I can't be the only one that's heard enough good music to know Michael Jackson is shit?

Who gives a fuck, he's a child molester, listen to something else that matters / means something.

Jacko's fans seem to have been buying ad space on London's public transport to clear his name.

The sides of buses lie too.

chveik

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on March 03, 2019, 10:00:31 PM
Surely I can't be the only one that's heard enough good music to know Michael Jackson is shit?

seconded

ToneLa