Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ongoing response to Michael Jackson’s music

Started by TheMonk, March 03, 2019, 09:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on March 03, 2019, 09:29:29 PM
I only ever listen to Jacko stuff up to and including Thriller which is before when all the allegations start to pile up so that stuff could be put aside into the 'safe list' and maybe potentially up to Smooth Criminal as well. All the plastic surgery he's had over the years means the Jacko in the 80s is probably a different person to the one in the 90s therefore the crimes have to be carefully attributed to the latter as opposed to the former.

Is this satire?

chveik

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on March 03, 2019, 10:00:31 PM
Surely I can't be the only one that's heard enough good music to know Michael Jackson is shit?

Who gives a fuck, he's a child molester, listen to something else that matters / means something.

You Won't Believe What Happened When This Millennial Contacted Bill Hicks via Ouija Board.

Chriddof

Heard about those bus ads the other day, fucking disgraceful. His fans are crawling all over every comment section of every video / article online about this too. Check out this point-missing parade of lunacy under this interview with Leaving Neverland's director:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbtQcwVo99g

And now the Jackson estate is suing HBO over the broadcast of this.

ToneLa

He can't be a nonce. He can't. I like his music!

Nowhere Man

ToneLa

Quote from: Nowhere Man on March 03, 2019, 11:49:52 PM
No he isn't you daft cunt

He's a good musician and a good singer but fuck his records, man

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 03, 2019, 10:39:37 PM
Is this satire?

Nope. I think there is a case of 80s and 90s Jacko being two different people which makes it easier to disassociate him from his music of that earlier more classic period. Or maybe some evil spirit like Bob took a stranglehold of him and that was what was causing him to turn white in much the same way as Leland Palmer and his hair. Both were happening around the same time as well which suggests a correlation.

McChesney Duntz

TheMonk

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 03, 2019, 02:54:14 PM
Bizarre statement.

Hitler did that painting in 1926, so that gets a pass.

Music doesn't rape children, Michael Jackson does.
Yes it was an attempt at humour. Not listening to any of it. The whole lot in the bin.

hummingofevil

"Facts don't lie, people do."

Why is that so clunky? It's clearly bollocks but can't quite put my finger on it. Can you have a fact without people? Aren't facts the way human beings express our understanding of what we believe to be objective truths. If so, and facts are dependent on the existence of people then it is possible that a fact may be untrue if a person is lying about the fact.

Also, do advertisers have any morality or code about what they stick on a London Bus? If I wanted to pay for posters claiming calling all the girls affected by grooming liars would transport for London let me do it. Seems, if nothing else, potentially harmful for people seeing those posters who themselves have been abuse victims.

ToneLa

You can disprove anything with facts

Aye the bus campaign seems a bit rum. Surely can't be effective. I suppose it isn't visually offensive or owt but who is going to be seeing it wondering what Jacko is accused of? I don't know how you'd measure consensus though so maybe thinking he's guilty as fuck is some maverick out-on-a-limb belief, though surely being an MJ Truther is an exercise in wilful ignorance at this point

biggytitbo

Quote from: TheMonk on March 03, 2019, 10:44:45 AM
I think he was into it around Bad and definitely Dangerous by the sounds.
So going by this i'd be  happy with just Off The Wall and Thriller.

There's at least one known incident in the late 70s/early 80s where he calls a 13 year old boy and starts wanking, so pretty much everything goes by that rule.

ToneLa

If you were a famous musical nonce, what would you be thinking, what's your attriride, to be writing songs like Bad and Dangerous and making that yir public image?

Werenae kidding was he. Does it show contempt? Probably not, but... But...

momatt

Is the new HBO documentary really FOUR HOURS long?  Fuck that.  There are far more cheerful ways of spending my evenings.

Like drinking, crying and wanking

I'll still occasionally listen to Off The Wall without any guilt.
It's greatness is as much down to Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton anyway.

Gary Glitter's music is still on Spotify and he was definitely 100% guilty of horrible things.  So MJ's family will still be getting rich from him.
Phew!

biggytitbo

Quote from: momatt on March 04, 2019, 10:53:28 AM
Is the new HBO documentary really FOUR HOURS long?  Fuck that.  There are far more cheerful ways of spending my evenings.

Like drinking, crying and wanking

I'll still occasionally listen to Off The Wall without any guilt.
It's greatness is as much down to Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton anyway.

Yes, its funny that a lot of Jackson's best songs are from Cleethorpes.

momatt

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 04, 2019, 10:55:37 AM

Yes, its funny that a lot of Jackson's best songs are from Cleethorpes.

It really is!

Plus, Heatwave,  Quincy Jones, Donna Summer, George Benson, James Ingram, Donna Summer, Herbie Hancock...

pigamus

Quote from: kalowski on March 03, 2019, 09:06:28 PM
I've said for years that Prince was better.

It was very funny when he said that Bad was only called Bad because there wasn't enough room on the sleeve for it to be called Pathetic.

biggytitbo

Prince copied Michael by dieing didn't he, so they borrowed from each other.

MidnightShambler

I don't listen to his music because I just don't like like it, aside from one or two tracks (Beat It was quite good and Dirty Diana was alright). Even in the late 80s/early 90s, when I was a kid I thought he was a deeply fucking weird individual and as far as I recall he lost all musical credibility from my peer group around that time too, shite stuff like In The Closet and and Heal The World was MOR wank and he artistically never recovered, regardless of his noncery. He was absolutely huge around the time of Bad but that's the only time I ever remember him being musically relevant at all, so for me at least it's not a problem to never hear one of his tunes again.

daf

Quote from: MidnightShambler on March 04, 2019, 01:24:25 PM
I don't listen to his music because I just don't like like it, aside from one or two tracks (Beat It was quite good and Dirty Diana was alright).

The gold is in the 70's - Have a go at these :

Hallelujah Day (1973)
Hum along and Dance (1973)
Get it Together (1973)
All Night Dancin' (1978)
Get on The Floor (1979)
Burn This Disco Out (1979)

mrpupkin

The problem with Jacko (not the main problem admittedly) is that his good albums aren't very interesting, and his interesting albums aren't very good.

ToneLa

pigamus

Agree with MidnightShambler about Heal the World - it's an abomination - the kind of thing you do when nobody will say no to you any more.

When this harrowing documentary goes out, Danny Baker will almost certainly remind everyone on Twitter that he was the last person to interview Jackson without anyone else present.

daf

Quote from: ToneLa on March 04, 2019, 05:28:54 PM
He never got better than the Jackson 5

My favourite Waxo song ever is this version of 'Mama's Pearl' by Jake Thunder* of this parish:
Loving Never Hurt No One

- - - - - - - - - - - -
* (Hope you don't mind me sharing it Jake - I nabbed it from your old 'King of Anglia' Soundcloud page)

Enough people will say that nothing has been proven in court for him to continue to sell. It's not likely that the BBC plays were adding much to his sales though his estate will miss the PRS.

I think most Brits had accepted long ago that he is was a nonce but there's stronger resistance in the US, to which this documentary is aimed. There's an O.J. factor where some African Americans will perceive conspiracy.

Why do we suddenly need to stop enjoying Michael Jackson on the basis of rumour and allegation? Does the law not take precedent over Amazon Prime or whatever? I'll wait for the law to decide and until then it'll be Earth Song round the clock in my dungeon.

For the record, my mate's wife's mate spent an afternoon with him and Macauley Culkin and they just played Sega Genesis together and had some snacks. This is a true story. At the same time, she said that she thought the plastic surgery wa an attempt at a disguise. A psychological disguise! Mad.

mrpupkin

He also has a more favourable reputation in central and eastern Europe, largely a legacy of performing every-fucking-where on the Dangerous tour and also the 1993 scandal being perceived (at the time) as typical anti-western cultural propaganda across the former eastern bloc, the likes of which they'd been ignoring for decades (him having coincidentally played the first ever big shows by an American star in Bucharest and Moscow around the time the allegations surfaced).