Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ongoing response to Michael Jackson’s music

Started by TheMonk, March 03, 2019, 09:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: mrpupkin on March 04, 2019, 07:48:54 PM
He also has a more favourable reputation in central and eastern Europe, largely a legacy of performing every-fucking-where on the Dangerous tour and also the 1993 scandal being perceived (at the time) as typical anti-western cultural propaganda across the former eastern bloc, the likes of which they'd been ignoring for decades (him having coincidentally played the first ever big shows by an American star in Bucharest and Moscow around the time the allegations surfaced).

Yeah, a huge MJ statue was installed in front of the big metronome on Petrin Hill in Prague (this is a big fucking deal) for the first and only time when he visited in the 90s.

TheMonk

I watched part 1 of Finding Neverland last night. Sickening. Revolting. Clearly true account of what went on.
Now I'm sitting in a cafe eating a Pad Thai and Don't Stop TIl You Get Enough is on the radio.
Held hostage to it unless I want to leave my meal. Amazing song with so many childhood memories attached. What a f*cked up world we live in.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: daf on March 04, 2019, 01:53:27 PM
The gold is in the 70's - Have a go at these :

Hallelujah Day (1973)
Hum along and Dance (1973)
Get it Together (1973)
All Night Dancin' (1978)
Get on The Floor (1979)
Burn This Disco Out (1979)

I don't want to come across as revisionist or contrary but I'm aware of all that, it's just never had anything that interested me. Always thought of it as 'going nowhere' music, musical magnolia. Doesn't grab me at all. I know other people do but...not for me, ever.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 04, 2019, 05:35:03 PM
She's out of my life is amazing.

I hope I don't upset you by saying this but, well, if I do.....that's the type of song that people who have no experience of actual women like. I can't imagine a context that any woman would find that useful, in real life she'd think you were a fucking wet lettuce for knowing it. Deary me.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: TheMonk on March 05, 2019, 01:49:06 AM
I watched part 1 of Finding Neverland last night. Sickening. Revolting. Clearly true account of what went on.
Now I'm sitting in a cafe eating a Pad Thai and Don't Stop TIl You Get Enough is on the radio.
Held hostage to it unless I want to leave my meal. Amazing song with so many childhood memories attached. What a f*cked up world we live in.

Just FYI that's a drama film from 2004 about the author of Peter Pan, starring Johnny Depp.

Ferris

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough will always be an awesome track, in the same way that Be My Baby always will. They are art that transcend their artists.

If someone proves Beethoven was a nonce, his late string quartets won't become less great.

I know Morrissey is a fascist but will always love Hatful of Hollow

The problem starts when the work is below the threshold of what I consider good art or when it includes kids in the imagery or as its target audience, which starts around the Thriller video. Off The Wall seems an adult album marketed to adults, or at least people who have gone through puberty. He is not yet using a manchild image as cover for noncery.

Captain Z

Does this mean I have to stop listening to DJ/producer Jichael Mackson?

ajsmith2

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on March 05, 2019, 11:33:37 AM
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough will always be an awesome track, in the same way that Be My Baby always will. They are art that transcend their artists.

Not denying that Be My Baby is a great production, but I've always though Spector gets far too much credit for/undeserved association with the songwriting on his canon of big smashes, considering every single one (with the exception of his first hit, To Know Him Is To Love Him admittedly) is a co-write headed up by a proven writing team well known for their songwriting credentials (in Be My Babys case, Barry/Greenwich), with Spectors name tacked on the end like a third wheel, almost like, I dunno, he didn't have very much to do with the writing of most of 'his' songs and his credit was just a condition of working with him. I have no direct proof of this but it's always seemed highly likely to me.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: the science eel on March 04, 2019, 10:06:00 PM
Yeah, a huge MJ statue was installed in front of the big metronome on Petrin Hill in Prague (this is a big fucking deal) for the first and only time when he visited in the 90s.

Fantastic facial resemblance aside, did they really have to include the giant red needle dick? It's probably intended to be a compliment but I imagine I'd be quite offended if I were depicted in such a fashion. And my wendle looks exactly like that.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Captain Z on March 05, 2019, 12:15:38 PM
Does this mean I have to stop listening to DJ/producer Jichael Mackson?

Hip hop producer Oh No's real name is Michael Jackson and is not a nonce as far as I know.

biggytitbo

It's Sir Michael Jackson the retired British military General I feel sorry for. Nobody is going to want to buy his funk albums now.

Pauline Walnuts

Has Sarah Bee commented on the new revelations? I think in a recent CM episode, she felt the case against Jacko had not been conclusively proven, which was a reasonable position at the time the episode was recorded but probably would not be now.

Chriddof

I was wondering that myself. I was going to ask that as a question to the Patreon Q+A but decided not to in the end.

popcorn

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on March 05, 2019, 08:28:37 PM
she felt the case against Jacko had not been conclusively proven, which was a reasonable position at the time the episode was recorded but probably would not be now.

It definitely hasn't been conclusively proven. There's never been any physical evidence.

He probably still done it, imo, but to say it has been conclusively proven would not be reasonable.

Quote from: Chriddof on March 05, 2019, 09:32:53 PM
I was wondering that myself. I was going to ask that as a question to the Patreon Q+A but decided not to in the end.

I've asked a Michael Jackson related question (Not about this, a fairly innocent one) so this could come up.

TheMonk

momatt

Quote from: TheMonk on March 06, 2019, 12:17:01 PM
Dammit now We can't listen to Stevie.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/stevie-wonder-responds-michael-jackson-leaving-neverland-controversy-2457782

Bollocks.  What he says seems ok.

The article didn't mention one of my favourite MJ tunes, 'I Can't Help It', written by Stevie.
So good in fact that it absolves the pair of them from any wrong-doing.  Forever.

SavageHedgehog

About five years ago in between the recent modern-style cancelling of R Kelly and the retro 2000s cancelling, Jim DeRogatis tried to lead the way to the modern cancelling with a series of videos called The Kelly Conversations (only a few left on YouTube it seems) where he discussed the issue of separating the art from the artist and whether or not that was possible with R Kelly. I thought he made quite an interesting point that while he believed Lou Reed was probably an almost equally monstrous person and had even had bad experiences with him personally, he found that because he feels Reed's music is often humane and warm and showed rare empathy with marginalised members of society he could separate the art and artist, whereas because a large and prominent chuck of Kelly's music centres on boasts of his own sexual prowess he struggled to make the same distinction. I suspect Jackson's music might pass that test, because his generally straight forward pop subject matter and fantasy imagery interspersed with the odd generic plea for tolerance doesn't have much overlap with his (alleged, I personally strongly suspect accurately) crimes. Mileage varies of course.

momatt

SteveDave

I'm DJing on Saturday, what do you think the reaction would be if I played "Billie Jean" followed by "Ignition (Remix)" followed by "Rock And Roll (Part Two)"?

ToneLa

My ongoing response to Michael Jackson's music is to shout "nonce!" at it over and over, which got me kicked oot of the shopping centre

momatt

Quote from: SteveDave on March 07, 2019, 11:15:44 AM
I'm DJing on Saturday, what do you think the reaction would be if I played "Billie Jean" followed by "Ignition (Remix)" followed by "Rock And Roll (Part Two)"?
Then Two Little Boys and Lost Prophets' Shinobi vs. Dragon Ninja.

I think this would go down pretty well I reckon.  Expect a dancefloor tsunami.
Three thumbs up.

SteveDave

Quote from: momatt on March 07, 2019, 11:20:03 AM
Then Two Little Boys and Lost Prophets' Shinobi vs. Dragon Ninja.

I think this would go down pretty well I reckon.  Expect a dancefloor tsunami.
Three thumbs up.

The Pedlo-Pop Mix. "Everyone's Gone To The Moon" as my big finish/comedown tune.

momatt

SpiderChrist

Jockice

Quote from: bim sherman shirts on March 03, 2019, 07:36:22 PM
It could be happening already- I played Wanna Be Starting Something while DJing a couple of weeks ago (not for reasons of edgelordery, I wasn't aware of Finding Neverland till this week) and it killed the dancefloor. Haven't seen that happen with a peak era MJ tune since his 90s nadir.

Actually, I was at someone's birthday do last year and this one was played. It filled the dancefloor in this case though. Even I ended up there, although not entirely through choice. I didn't mind so much because it is my favourite MJ tune. I own absolutely nothing by him though (apart from maybe a few Jackson Five tracks on compilations), so my conscience is clear. Not that I disliked his stuff but a lot of it came out during my indie puritan days and you could hear it everywhere without purchasing it.

I did see him live in Leeds in the late 80s though. i saw Jimmy Savile running around outside beforehand. As well as one of the very few people I've committed a deliberate act of violence against in my life. But that's another story.

kalowski