Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:25:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Those foreign dramas on Channel 4

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 03, 2019, 08:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Any good? Might watch The Crimson Rivers tonight. I saw a film called The Crimson Rivers a few years back and it was shit. Had a really crappy computer game bit if I remember correctly, so I hope the series isn't related.

paruses

I watched a few episode of Professor T the other week. It's a Belgian show about a reluctant criminalist consulting to the police.

It's Ok but made me realise that just because something's in foreign it doesn't mean that it's going to be any more enjoyable than a similar US idea.

mothman

Exactly. We're oversaturated with foreign drama now. We were fortunate in the early years that a lot of the shows that (say) BBC4 put on were actually quite good in themselves. I've not seen anything on 4OD offshoot Walter Presents that is actually watch. In fact, if C4 actually showed more of it on their main HD channel rather than either making you watch it on WP with ads every 5 minutes, or sticking it on More4, it'd be preferable.

Cuellar

I liked Professor T. Sufficiently weird. Surreal (as you'd expect from a load of Belgos!)

holyzombiejesus

I was thinking much the same last night when watching The Crimson Rivers. Subtitles bestow undeserving gravitas on something which seems to be a French Midsomer Murders with Nazi dogs.

paruses

Quote from: Cuellar on March 04, 2019, 05:34:15 PM
I liked Professor T. Sufficiently weird. Surreal (as you'd expect from a load of Belgos!)

Yes - it did feel very Belgian. I like the Belgians - a lot closer to the English than you'd think (or at least they were in the 90s when I lived there). Obviously fusing the Dutch and French together works such that they are not unbearable like the French nor are they unbearable like the Dutch (I'm joking about the French).

I've lost the thread of what I was saying - oh yes - it had that slight edge to it which made it not completely interchangeable with a US counterpart but at the same time I didn't think that the plotting or characters were any different from a US counterpart.

I'm slagging it a lot for something I quite liked, aren't I?

Bad Ambassador

Deutschland 86 starts on More4 on Friday, and will actually be showing on broadcast for its whole run.

Cuellar

Quote from: paruses on March 04, 2019, 09:55:51 PM
Yes - it did feel very Belgian. I like the Belgians - a lot closer to the English than you'd think (or at least they were in the 90s when I lived there). Obviously fusing the Dutch and French together works such that they are not unbearable like the French nor are they unbearable like the Dutch (I'm joking about the French).

I've lost the thread of what I was saying - oh yes - it had that slight edge to it which made it not completely interchangeable with a US counterpart but at the same time I didn't think that the plotting or characters were any different from a US counterpart.

I'm slagging it a lot for something I quite liked, aren't I?

No I agree, plotting and character-wise it's pretty routine, but it has flashes of the genuinely disturbing/outright bizarre that made it pretty compelling.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 05, 2019, 02:40:58 PM
Deutschland 86 starts on More4 on Friday, and will actually be showing on broadcast for its whole run.

Cheers for the heads-up. Really enjoyed Deutschland 83 even though it was a gigantic flop in its homeland. The follow-up was actually released by Amazon Prime in Germany as RTL were so embarrassed by the original series's critical and commercial mauling.

mothman

Really? I was under the impression (granted, I know not from whence I got it) that it had done quite well there...

imitationleather

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 05, 2019, 08:00:15 PM
Cheers for the heads-up. Really enjoyed Deutschland 83 even though it was a gigantic flop in its homeland. The follow-up was actually released by Amazon Prime in Germany as RTL were so embarrassed by the original series's critical and commercial mauling.

Huh. German TV critics sound like they're more discerning than I would have expected given the general quality of their television.

Pseudopath

Quote from: mothman on March 05, 2019, 09:45:04 PM
Really? I was under the impression (granted, I know not from whence I got it) that it had done quite well there...

There's a good article here which provides some background and analysis of why German audiences didn't take to it.