Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ulverton by Adam Thorpe

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 03, 2019, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I picked up a copy today and might start it tonight. Has anybody read it?

QuoteAt the heart of this novel lies the fictional village of Ulverton. It is the fixed point in a book that spans three hundred years. Different voices tell the story of Ulverton: one of Cromwell's soldiers staggers home to find his wife remarried and promptly disappears, an eighteenth century farmer carries on an affair with a maid under his wife's nose, a mother writes letters to her imprisoned son, a 1980s real estate company discover a soldier's skeleton, dated to the time of Cromwell...

Told through diaries, sermons, letters, drunken pub conversations and film scripts this is a masterful novel that reconstructs the unrecorded history of England.

Just been looking at the 1 star reviews on Amazon and some people (possibly thickos) don't like the chapter that's written in dialect.

Pranet

Read it years ago and from memory enjoyed it. There is an episode of Backlisted where they sign its praises, I think it is generally well thought of.

Cloud

That's one letter away from where I live.  Spooky