Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RuPaul's Drag Race season 11

Started by Blue Jam, March 04, 2019, 07:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Just watched the first episode and feeling a bit relieved to note that the standard already seems much higher than that of the slightly ropey series 10.

So far I like Oddly Evie, Scarlett Envy and Soju, they seem a bit more original and to me they stand out as doing their own thing more than most. Silky seems like the Eureka of this series- too loud and too keen to dominate everything, I hope she sashays away soon. So many O'Haras and Davenports too- some more original names please, girls. Guest judge Miley Cyrus wasn't too convincing as a drag king but she was clearly having a blast.

In other Drag Race news, Drag Race UK (with guest judges Alan Carr and Graham Norton) will be here later this year...

I wasn't impressed at all with the showing from the first episode. All the runways were shite except Brooke Lynn and Akeria. Silky is Eureka part 2, just fuck off.

Cuellar

I'm sure it's partly in the edit but fucking Silky Ganache is already getting on my (and everyone else's apparently) tits.

Was nice to see a costume creating challenge again though, felt quite old school.

Jockice

Anyone from Dumbarton on it this time?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jockice on March 04, 2019, 11:13:47 PM
Anyone from Dumbarton on it this time?

Sadly not...

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on March 04, 2019, 08:23:14 PM
I wasn't impressed at all with the showing from the first episode. All the runways were shite except Brooke Lynn and Akeria. Silky is Eureka part 2, just fuck off.

I liked Soju (and thought she was more Priscilla than Elvis, be fair, bitches) but that runway effort was truly woeful. Kahanna's wasn't much better- an inability to sew has been the downfall of many a queen, do they never learn? Brooke Lynne Hytes' effort was the best by far, terrible drag name though.

6-way lipsync, what a fucking mess. Everyone in the bottom deserved to go home (except Akeria, that runway was stunning).
Silky gets on my tits but she was so entertaining in Untucked (a reveal for an argument!).

Next week is a Trump musical, prepare for a shitshow.

Blue Jam

If she makes it to Snatch Game Plastique Tiara is so doing Nikki Minaj

Clownbaby

I dropped off from watching Drag Race after season 7. Are the fish/glam queens still accusing the goth/weird queens of being one trick ponies when they themselves tend to look the same most of the time and think ripping off their wig at the end of a lip sync counts as effort

Yes, this very season in fact. Although "an ugly girl could never come for a pretty girl" is no "go back to party city", but I'll take it.

Blue Jam

Silky Ganache was annoyingly good as Oprah. Brooke Lynne Hites was still better as Ivana Trump.

Blue Jam

Shuga Cain's Trump drag. Legend.

buttgammon

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 24, 2019, 11:15:21 PM
Shuga Cain's Trump drag. Legend.

Oh yes! One of my favourite looks of all time - genuinely disappointed that they didn't really comment on it.

Cuellar

Yeah I thought Shuga Cain was quality. Weirdly bad script for the rusical though, same with the Black Panther parody a few episodes ago. Not really much happening.

I thought Yvie Oddly should have won, even though I didn't rte her runway look nearly as much as the judges did. Her Kelly Ann Conway was very creepy. Silky was good as Oprah but her runway was boring.

buttgammon

Quote from: Cuellar on March 24, 2019, 11:32:08 PM
Yeah I thought Shuga Cain was quality. Weirdly bad script for the rusical though, same with the Black Panther parody a few episodes ago. Not really much happening.

Yes, I don't know what's up with this. There was a lot of potential mileage in the idea but it got stuck between a Grease parody and a Trump pisstake without really doing a great job of either.

Cuellar

Cuellar

Especially in her gold runway look this week OOF

Blue Jam

Scarlett Envy woz robbed there. She wasn't the best dancer but she tried really hard and clearly pulled out all the stops for the lipsync, and her runway look was better than Vanessa Vanjie Mateo's lazy Playboy bunny with glitter on the chest look. Ra'jah trying to claim she was one of those queens who just rely on being pretty-aaarrrrggh, fuck off Ra'jah. Bye bye Scarlett, I'll miss you and your fierce eyebrows.

I'm #TeamYvie now but a bit concerned she's done a Eureka and her injury may see her being sent home. I reckon Brooke Lynn Hites would also be a worthy winner, I like the way she keeps her cards close to her chest while the others are louder and give more away. I also like the way the other queens seem to hate her for being better than them- you go gurl.

Watching episode 7 now, Silky Ganache seems to have calmed down a bit and now Ra'jah is the pantomime villain for me- she's a bit rubbish and overconfident. Maybe I'm just falling for manipulative editing though.

Blue Jam

Out of drag and wearing a baseball cap Vanessa Vanjie Mateo looks like Grindah from People Just Do Nothing. Try and unsee it now.

Blue Jam

HAHA FUCK OFF GROOT

RuPaul once again rolling her eyes at a queen pulling off her wig during the lipsync... why do they never learn?

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 12, 2019, 10:12:47 PM
Out of drag and wearing a baseball cap Vanessa Vanjie Mateo looks like Grindah from People Just Do Nothing. Try and unsee it now.
Ah fuck, that's hilarious.

Blue Jam

Meh, Snatch Game is always rubbish. I'm looking forward to the Drag Race UK version though.

Blue Jam

Shante you both stay... again. Right decision but so bloody obvious.

Blue Jam

Untucked is great. Contrived and scripted as fuck, but still entertaining.

Blue Jam

Drag makeovers is always the best challenge.

Yvie and Brooke Lynn for the final, surely? I reckon it'll be them, joined by Silky Ganache now she's calmed down a bit. I'd love to see more of Grindah though.

Has to be BLH, Yvie, Akeria, and Silky for top 4 - Vanjie has no challenge wins.

This was the most mean-spirited episode of Drag Race ever: bringing back Soju just to laugh at her, making Vanjie think she was going to win the challenge, Ariel accusing Rajah of theft when she wasn't there to defend herself, Yvie on the verge of tears when half the queens picked her to go home, and eliminating Nina (the lip synch was awful but she did better than Silky). Depending on how the finale/reunion turns out, I might be done with this show. It's just not fun anymore.

Silky is ruining this season as is the whole silky/yvie constant shade, and that lip sinc was terrible

Blue Jam

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on May 11, 2019, 01:15:10 AM
This was the most mean-spirited episode of Drag Race ever

Yes, I always look forward to the drag makeover challenge but I think they took a wrong turn this year. Usually it's nice and positive because of the people they choose to makeover- one year it was older gay men who had all been prominent gay rights activists, another year it was ex-servicemen who had all served during Don't Ask Don't Tell. There was also the episode where they made over the crew, with cameraman Sarge being an utter legend as Peppermint's drag sister, Wintergreen... there's always a bit of sensitivity and respect and they usually have a good laugh. This year, having the queens make over their competitors was just asking for trouble- that was never going to go well, especially in a season where there has been so much shade thrown. The accusations of wig theft just turned everything very ugly.

I liked Soju and thought bringing up her cyst was just humiliating. I thought Vanjie deserved to win and I loved the dress and matching jumpsuit idea, so it seemed unfair when Brooke Lynn Hites won for making two matching dresses and doing a few poses (what was the "story" exactly? I didn't get why the judges were raving over that). Grindah and her sister arguably nailed the whole "family resemblance thing" more than anyone- and wasn't that the entire point?

I never saw Nina as finalist material but Silky still being there while still looking so unpolished and apparently not taking any feedback on board is a minor scandal. I thought Ru was going to send them both home as I agree they were both bad at the lipsync, but I also thought Silky was worse. Even though Silky has calmed down I think I've started to find her even more unlikable than Eureka, and it's annoying to think she's probably been kept in for the drama- I'm not enjoying that drama, I'd rather see her get her comeuppance.

I wasn't keen on Yvie's denim look but as drag sisters it worked, the family resemblance was there, and I always like the queens like Yvie, Sharon Needles and Sasha Velour who do something a bit different from just trying to look pretty or sexy every week. I'm still #TeamYvie thought I'd be happy to see Vanjie win too- she makes me laugh the most. Her catfight acting in the previous episode had me cracking up- it didn't make much sense, it was just amusingly insane.

I really hope Silky fucks off this week...

Cuellar

Yeah, terrible performances from Nina AND Silky, thought they both should have gone. But Silky is just generally worse than Nina, I think, so maybe Silky should have gone.

Again Silky's outfits were falling apart and just a bit shit. She and Vanjie (sorry) have been in this far longer than they have any right to be. Apart from BLH and maybe Yvie, no one has really stood out this season. Akeria has been a bit up and down. Some of her outfits have been stunning.

Some insane and questionable decisions the last two episodes too. Shuga Cain in NO WAY deserved to go home. Ludicrous.

Blue Jam

BLH is clearly talented and she's very polished but compared to most finalists she's a bit lacking in personality. I liked Shuga Cain too, and as has been mentioned before her Donald Trump "Orange Alert" drag deserved more praise.

I just remembered Silky throwing off her wig during the lipsync- Ru usually hates that and it has her rolling her eyes. Along with completely ignoring Ru's advice to make sure her hip pads were properly concealed, she seems to be getting away with too many mistakes. It's as if she's being rewarded for being obnoxious too. Eureka was also loud and overbearing but with her I at least had to admit she had polish and talent.