Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:16:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Line Of Duty Series 5

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2019, 12:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Fucking hell, can't wait for this. Hope Stephen Graham's character lasts longer than one episode.

I figured they'd eventually end up with Ted "Hold on there fella" Hastings being the one investigated by AC-12, and there are a few hints suggesting that might be the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53V-eVvWLoM

Mobius

Cannot fucking wait.

If Hastings turns out to be a wrongun I'll be devastated

DrGreggles

Looking forward to this, even though the end of s4 was a bit silly.

rasta-spouse

This gets better with each series. If only other UK dramas had the same quality (please tell me if there are). Excited.

Line of Duty DEEP conspiracy

List of names from Danny Waldron

List of senior officers with a surname beginning with H.

Finkel is Einhorn.

Phil_A

Rewatching Series 1 and I really think that little cunt Ryan got off way too easily considering all the nasty shit he's involved in. In his first appearance alone he gets another dealer brutally murdered for no reason, the kid's a psychopath!

Although I suppose would be satisfying pay-off if we came back to him years later to find out he's now running Tommy Hunter's old mob or something along those lines.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 05, 2019, 08:27:01 PM
This gets better with each series. If only other UK dramas had the same quality (please tell me if there are). Excited.

"From the makers of the Bodyguard"

Christ.

rasta-spouse

Bodyguard was full of holes. This has like one or two forgivable holes per series. And I give it pass because it's UK drama.

(Funny thing, on Hassan Minhaj's Patriot Act there was a little dig at the Bodyguard being Islamaphobic. Don't know what it's like to be an American, but v. surprised they couldn't see how bbc liberal left the entire show was)

Bently Sheds

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 10, 2019, 03:37:38 PM
"From the makers of the Bodyguard"

Christ.
I must admit I shouted "Oh, FUCK OFF!!" when I saw that come up on the trailer.
Wasn't Bodyguard originally sold as "from the makers of Line of Duty"?

rjd2

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 10, 2019, 03:57:35 PM
Bodyguard was full of holes. This has like one or two forgivable holes per series. And I give it pass because it's UK drama.

(Funny thing, on Hassan Minhaj's Patriot Act there was a little dig at the Bodyguard being Islamaphobic. Don't know what it's like to be an American, but v. surprised they couldn't see how bbc liberal left the entire show was)

Bodyguard was a fantastic idea on paper, but damn after the first 2 episodes it really got very silly. The ending also was very "eh wtf" ,,not sure if it writers trying to be clever or someone from The Spectator wrote it.

Rev+

It's absolute garbage but is oddly compelling.  As with Luther, if this is the peak of BRITISH DRAMA then we're fucked.  It's a weird, thin cartoon in which nobody acts or speaks like a normal human would.  Although they say 'mate' a lot to mask it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Rev+ on March 11, 2019, 02:52:33 AM
It's absolute garbage but is oddly compelling.  As with Luther, if this is the peak of BRITISH DRAMA then we're fucked.  It's a weird, thin cartoon in which nobody acts or speaks like a normal human would.  Although they say 'mate' a lot to mask it.

I agree, its a cartoon version of great police thrillers of bygone years (80s and early 90s). The actors are good to very good, which papers over the cracks. But it's no The Bill 1992-1996.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 11, 2019, 01:05:13 PM
I agree, its a cartoon version of great police thrillers of bygone years (80s and early 90s). The actors are good to very good, which papers over the cracks. But it's no The Bill 1992-1996.

I'm not a big fan of police dramas, but I've watched Cracker recently, and it's brilliant (and really ahead of its time). the bbc knew how to make great tv in those days.

jobotic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: chveik on March 11, 2019, 02:38:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of police dramas, but I've watched Cracker recently, and it's brilliant (and really ahead of its time). the bbc knew how to make great tv in those days.

Cracker was an ITV series. It was absolutely fantastic, though, I agree.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 11, 2019, 03:01:21 PM
Cracker was an ITV series. It was absolutely fantastic, though, I agree.

I didn't like Coltrane at the time so have not watched it, but that will change now.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's a top tier crime drama, a classic. You will definitely enjoy it.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 11, 2019, 01:05:13 PM
But it's no The Bill 1992-1996.

Val McDermid's always on about how good the early The Bill was. Does it hold up for a watch nowadays?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 11, 2019, 04:26:07 PM
Val McDermid's always on about how good the early The Bill was. Does it hold up for a watch nowadays?

Not as much as peak Bergerac, but the early Bill certainly has old school grit and charm.

BlodwynPig

Wire in the Blood is another classic that holds up well. Especially given its familiar locations. Tony's office being at Newcastle University, for example.

God, Wire in the Blood would kick off an absolute shitstorm if aired today given the plot of episode one.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 11, 2019, 05:16:34 PM
God, Wire in the Blood would kick off an absolute shitstorm if aired today given the plot of episode one.

Proper telly.

It's a really good series, but Twitter would not be impressed.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 11, 2019, 05:28:55 PM
It's a really good series, but Twitter would not be impressed.

I shit in the eye of Twitter, the fucking wanker brat.

Mobius

Just in case anyone didn't realise when exactly this returns...

Line Of Duty returns to BBC One at 9pm on Sunday March 31.

Not long to go!

Utter Shit

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 05, 2019, 08:41:59 PM

Finkel is Einhorn.
Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 05, 2019, 08:41:59 PM

Finkel is Einhorn.

I've been going over these two photos for ten minutes and still can't work out what you're getting at - am I forgetting something important from the last series or is the clue just in the photos and I'm not seeing it?

BlodwynPig

Can't remember - the "mastermind"(?) behind some nasty criminal activity (sex trafficking?) was a senior cop with the surname beginning with H. Those photos were posted up by the small cop I think as a list of all those in the force (section/branch?) that fit the bill.

Phil_A

The implication is that "H" is one of the individuals named by Waldron on his Paedo List(along with deceased mob boss Tommy Hunter), and there's only one "H" surname that appears on both, Hargreaves. Could still be a red herring though.

notjosh

I've already forgotten everything that's happened on this show since they revealed the 'caddy'. How much do you reckon I should rewatch to get back up to speed?

Phil_A

It was Hyde-Albert on both lists, not Hargreaves. Sorry I was on my phone when I posted that earlier.