Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Line Of Duty Series 5

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2019, 12:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

It feels like the only point of having Lisa portrayed as being so flaky and 'sensitive' was to set up the twist of Corbett being the UCO.

Phil_A

I was waiting for the reveal that it had all been an elaborate mislead and Hastings was in on it after all. Potentially he still could be(his excuse for dumping the laptop was very shaky), but to be honest I feel a bit tired of being strung along by this point. I really hope the next series is actually the last, just so we get some kind of resolution.

jobotic

It's a good thing kept a recording of that phone call in his house isn't it?

BeardFaceMan

Can someone go back and watch the ep where Dot dies and see if they can see him tapping his fingers, if only to see if they actually telegraphed this bullshit or if they made it up on the fly to keep the series going? I'd do it myself, but don't want to, I'm almost angry about how shit that ep was and how many holes there are.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 05, 2019, 11:52:34 PM
Can someone go back and watch the ep where Dot dies and see if they can see him tapping his fingers, if only to see if they actually telegraphed this bullshit or if they made it up on the fly to keep the series going? I'd do it myself, but don't want to, I'm almost angry about how shit that ep was and how many holes there are.

Just watched the episode (S3 E6) where Dot is shot and it doesn't actually show his confession. Then watched S4 E5 and around the 53:40 mark it's either not shown or his fingers aren't in shot.

BlodwynPig

Was half expecting Peter Kay and Nicholas Lyndhurst to pop up with straw hats and tap shoes. Awful drop in quality.

gib

Quote from: Phil_A on May 05, 2019, 11:29:03 PMI cheered when we got an URGENT EXIT REQUIRED, but it felt like a hollow callback as the ending was so anti-climactic.

Just when the viewer is expecting an exciting shootout except this time Kate and Steve have tipped the odds in the good guys' favour and then, oh.

BlodwynPig

A bit of a trope - not killing off characters who have a smidgin of sympathy with the viewer or are young/attractive/female so as not to upset the carthorse apples.

gib

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 06, 2019, 12:22:54 AM
A bit of a trope - not killing off characters who have a smidgin of sympathy with the viewer or are young/attractive/female so as not to upset the carthorse apples.

Maybe the flipside is killing off characters who are irredeemably fucked and there is no way there can be a happy ending for them.

While i'm here, why would Lisa get the witness protection and all that jazz for giving info when she's already said all the OCG were dead, huh, HUH?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gib on May 06, 2019, 12:39:11 AM
Maybe the flipside is killing off characters who are irredeemably fucked and there is no way there can be a happy ending for them.

While i'm here, why would Lisa get the witness protection and all that jazz for giving info when she's already said all the OCG were dead, huh, HUH?

Because...my last post.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 06, 2019, 12:22:54 AM

How does the death of attractive, female, sympathetic character Lindsay Denton fit into this theory?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 06, 2019, 12:13:27 AM
Just watched the episode (S3 E6) where Dot is shot and it doesn't actually show his confession. Then watched S4 E5 and around the 53:40 mark it's either not shown or his fingers aren't in shot.

Yeah thats what I feared, that the show got popular and they ditched the original plan and came up with a mental way to get another series or two out of it. There must be some interviews with Mercurio going about now the series is over, I wonder if he'll talk about whether H was ever one person?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It does, alas, feel like he's stretching it out far beyond whatever his initial intentions were. The success of Line of Duty presumably took him by surprise, I doubt he ever thought he'd be writing over 70 hours of the bloody thing. The next series should definitely be the last.

jobotic

Wasn't the video of Dot on freeze frame when Arnott was in the office? How did he see his fingers moving?

Bently Sheds

Well that was a load of old bollocks. The way everybody just left the interrogation room when Gill was arrested, because the OCG extraction squad hadn't turned up within 45 seconds was well shit. Then the PC (who was signposted as an OCG member when Gill Bigelow tapped the desk and motioned for her to give her the document folder, there was a look of fear in her eyes) goes into the toilets after Bigelow and tries to stab her up - what would have been her excuse when Bigelow's body was found? "Sorry guv, she pulled out a knife and before I knew it she had stabbed herself in the abdomen 23 times from a highly improbable angle. I got covered in all her blood giving her CPR."

Quote from: jobotic on May 06, 2019, 07:47:30 AM
Wasn't the video of Dot on freeze frame when Arnott was in the office? How did he see his fingers moving?
Yeah, that was rubbish. I was hoping Arnott had noticed some detail in the text around the video still or recognised the voice of the paramedic as being Lisa McQueen or something.

phantom_power

I liked the failed exit for Gill. That was quite fun, and Anna Maxwell Martin played a good pantomime villain. It might have been more interesting though to have a more sympathetic "enemy".

The H=4 thing is utter bollocks as well. Don't the OCG refer to H all the time as well? Did they just get all their info from the police. despite being run by one of the 4? Also, wouldn't Gill be able to tell them who the fourth person was? Why didn't they suspect it was the one that got shot in the heist?

Why did Hastings go to see Lee Banks in prison. He said "I've got something you are going to want to hear". Why did he say that if he was just getting information?

Why was everyone so trusting of Gill when she showed herself to be massively dodgy in Series 3?

Overall a very "meh" final episode. I hope they can tie it all together and answer some questions  in series 6

jobotic

Considering the amount of times that Arnott and Fleming use the word "mate" there was a great opportunity for one from her after he came up with that Morse code nonsense.

kalowski

What I'd quite like would be if they are wrong about the H=4. They spend a few episodes of S6 following that lead only to find it's wrong. There are 6 caddies and a H who is a chief superintendent.

phantom_power

Yeah, it wasn't morse code but a death spasm

Blinder Data

I thought it was pretty underwhelming. The last 20 mins when Hastings was explaining Jill's actions had a really cheesy Poirot vibe, and not in a good way.

Also, he did take the extra 50K then? Was that ever explained? I would think he would lose his job for that at least

lazyhour

Yeah, he took it to give to the dead undercover officer's wife, to say 'soz your fella is dead, here's some secret cash' - we see him about to do this at a graveyard.

Edit: it's not explained why he would give her such special treatment given that he didn't know who John's mother was when he took the £50k.

paruses

Just watched this so I don't have to spend a week avoiding spoilers a la Likely Lads. Needn't have bothered though as there wasn't much in it to spoiler.

Going to build up some ire and be back later but is there a LoD podcast so I can be disappointed in company while I walk around today?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: paruses on May 06, 2019, 11:44:45 AM
Going to build up some ire and be back later but is there a LoD podcast so I can be disappointed in company while I walk around today?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0742833/episodes/player

DrGreggles

Just watched the finale after having binged on episodes 1-5 yesterday.
Had Jill sussed for a while, but she was never going to be the big cheese.
Thought there may have been more of a hint at who was, but the writers probably don't know yet.

All in all it's a very silly show, but incredibly watchable.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 06, 2019, 03:00:03 AM
How does the death of attractive, female, sympathetic character Lindsay Denton fit into this theory?

She died in Mercurio's other show - he hates poor Keeley.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 06, 2019, 03:15:38 AM
It does, alas, feel like he's stretching it out far beyond whatever his initial intentions were. The success of Line of Duty presumably took him by surprise, I doubt he ever thought he'd be writing over 70 hours of the bloody thing. The next series should definitely be the last.

The series was a true genre defining great. Action packed and full of well written characters.

However, it was not the best show and the action was forced and overplayed. The characters were reasonably well written but quite bland.

Personally, I believe this to be the worst series on TV. A dreadful slog undoing all the hard work that made series 1-3 a true genre defining great. The characters were poorly written and the action was tepid and unbelievable.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kalowski on May 06, 2019, 08:58:42 AM
What I'd quite like would be if they are wrong about the H=4. They spend a few episodes of S6 following that lead only to find it's wrong. There are 6 caddies and a H who is a chief superintendent.

Isn't Banjaree the fourth H. Ultimately two steps down from Theresa May Michael Howard herhimself.

holyzombiejesus

Is/ was The Bodyguard / Bodies any good? I've spent the last 5 weeks ploughing through every episode of LoD and now have no idea what to watch tonight.

Utter Shit