Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:25:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Line Of Duty Series 5

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2019, 12:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 08, 2019, 05:37:17 AM
Even Dusty Bin would have rolled his eyes and said "For fucks sake, Ted..." at that reveal.

Glad to see Dusty Bin making an appearance in a thread about a 2019 crime thriller. That's pure CaB.

Incidentally, one thing I was impressed by who much effort was made to get the fictional dates close to the transmission ones, like they were trying to make it feel in 'real time'.
Then they spoiled it by revealing all the commendations/disciplinary proceedings at the end in the past tense, when it would have taken months in reality...

holyzombiejesus

You're being interrogated by the police's top anti-corruption unit and have no choice but to request an armed policeman shoots another officer and helps you to escape. You then participate in a high speed chase across the city, culminating with your driver being shot. One of your interrogators catches up with you and, in the melee, you get shot in the heart. You lie on the floor, gasping your last breaths... and decide to tap out the morse code for the letter H with you thumb and forefinger. Of course you fucking do.

gib

This thread is 1000 times better than the one i looked at on Digitalspy. I love you CaB.

DrGreggles

Quote from: studpuppet on May 08, 2019, 11:30:11 AM
Glad to see Dusty Bin making an appearance in a thread about a 2019 crime thriller. That's pure CaB.

EDIT: I'll save it for the '3-2-1' thread.

paruses

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 08, 2019, 11:31:50 AM
You're being interrogated by the police's top anti-corruption unit and have no choice but to request an armed policeman shoots another officer and helps you to escape. You then participate in a high speed chase across the city, culminating with your driver being shot. One of your interrogators catches up with you and, in the melee, you get shot in the heart. You lie on the floor, gasping your last breaths... and decide to tap out the morse code for the letter H with you thumb and forefinger. Of course you fucking do.

Watching a dying man perform a round of charades would have made this my favourite ever drama - especially if the uniforms attending had also tried to join in guessing:

"Arrow..arrrow...bow and arrow..."
"Fire an arrow...no...fighting he's doing fighting."
"Fight ,fight....War...not war, no....Battle...yes...battle...OK..Battle"
"Battle of....Battle of....OK don't know - do another bit of it first"

studpuppet

Quote from: paruses on May 08, 2019, 12:27:54 PM
Watching a dying man perform a round of charades would have made this my favourite ever drama

BRen

Quote from: paruses on May 08, 2019, 12:27:54 PM
Watching a dying man perform a round of charades would have made this my favourite ever drama - especially if the uniforms attending had also tried to join in guessing:

"Arrow..arrrow...bow and arrow..."
"Fire an arrow...no...fighting he's doing fighting."
"Fight ,fight....War...not war, no....Battle...yes...battle...OK..Battle"
"Battle of....Battle of....OK don't know - do another bit of it first"
Superb, that would have improved it tenfold.

'Film, no, TV series, three syllables!'

phantom_power

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 08, 2019, 09:39:42 AM
Aside from how ridiculous that reveal was, what makes it even more ridiculous is that no one questioned it. Did they? As far as I can tell Steve notices the hand thing, immediately decides that it was morse code, then concludes that this means four people as H. It's certainly one possible conclusion, but the idea that it's 100% definitely correct with no further analysis required is bonkers. There are any number of possible reasons why Dot could have been trying to say "four", it's a massive assumption on Steve's part.

There is precedent in LoD history though. When Dot put together a speculative profile of who The Caddie was that was fairly generic but fit Steve for example. No-one seemed under any doubt that this was a big piece of evidence to prove that he was The Caddie.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 08, 2019, 09:39:42 AM
Aside from how ridiculous that reveal was, what makes it even more ridiculous is that no one questioned it. Did they? As far as I can tell Steve notices the hand thing, immediately decides that it was morse code, then concludes that this means four people as H. It's certainly one possible conclusion, but the idea that it's 100% definitely correct with no further analysis required is bonkers. There are any number of possible reasons why Dot could have been trying to say "four", it's a massive assumption on Steve's part.

Just plain bad policing, really

paruses

Having never had multiple gunshot wounds from an automatic weapon I don't know how easy this would be but couldn't Dot have just held up four fingers? That is deffo what I would have done.

The more I think about this whole thing the more irked I get. This series feels much like the split final season of The Sopranos waiting to go into the sixth and final run (except The Sopranos is perfect television - except for the Vito storyline which is a bit stupid).

phantom_power

Poor fucker could have been delirious and just blinking and twitching with no real clue what was happening. I doubt it would have been admissible or been used as the basis for any sort of investigation by a police force not in a TV drama

paruses

Just sticking with that scene - the guy who shot Dot was in the back of the Range Rover (OCG do love their Range Rovers) - why was he wearing a full face crash helmet? I do wonder if when Dot piled into the back of the car shouting "go go go" there was then a pause where he looked at him and just said "didn't you know we decided against the bikes for this? I sent a WhatsApp to the group."

holyzombiejesus

Seeing as we're goi g back to pick holes in previous series, why did Dot have so many burner phones ringing if there were only 3 other caddies? And why was Neil Morrissey's character allowed to continue in his role after being witnessed viciously assaulting Kate with his walking stick and then fleeing the scene?

PeasOnSticks

Thought they blew quite an interesting premise (could Ted be corrupt), firstly with all the signalling that he might be a wrong 'un - which was so unsubtle it killed any notion that he might actually be one - and then with the tension-free, hammy interrogation and Scooby Doo-esque unmasking of Gill.  Steve's interpretation of Dot's death-throe twitching was just the icing on the cake.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 09, 2019, 01:41:23 PM
Seeing as we're goi g back to pick holes in previous series, why did Dot have so many burner phones ringing if there were only 3 other caddies? And why was Neil Morrissey's character allowed to continue in his role after being witnessed viciously assaulting Kate with his walking stick and then fleeing the scene?

With the burner phones I assume it was because there are other corrupt officers but Dot is the only Caddy, the only one groomed and taken through the ranks and in so deep with the gangs. As for Neil Morrissey, Nige's assault on Kate came right before Lennie James died and AC12 all said it happened in the line of duty to help his family. As his assault was directly linked to that investigation I think it would have been quietly dropped with the rest of it.

Jerzy Bondov

We've been rewatching the lot and just got to series 4. I'd completely forgotten about Michael Farmer's hilariously shit somnambulist solicitor.

Would love to have heard the direction given to this poor bloke. "Yeah, great, but could you please look more shit?"