Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Line Of Duty Series 5

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2019, 12:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogbrainedmurphy

Quote from: chveik on March 11, 2019, 02:38:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of police dramas, but I've watched Cracker recently, and it's brilliant (and really ahead of its time). the bbc knew how to make great tv in those days.

Caught up with all the episodes of Cracker a few months back, was too young at the time but definitely remember the Robert Carlyle Hillsborough one really shocked people at the time.

Loved seeing Manchester and especially Castlefield in its gritty, grimy pre polished guise. Wasn't too keen on that Hong Kong special episode, though.

As for LOD, can't wait for it. Surely a Line Of Duty bingo card is around somewhere?...

"*** Has a right to be questioned by someone at least one rank higher..."

Arnott gets battered

Hastings says "to the letter of the law. The letter!"

Phil_A

- Arnott says "I'll push from without, you push from within!"

- Kate has a new haircut

- Hastings tells someone "Now, hold on there fella..."

- Balcony stare-off with a suspect leaving/departing AC12 HQ.

Utter Shit

It's two different people - Roger Hyde-Albert on the list and Susan Hyde-Albert on the police thing. But there's obviously some connection there.

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 21, 2019, 11:18:47 AM
I've been going over these two photos for ten minutes and still can't work out what you're getting at - am I forgetting something important from the last series or is the clue just in the photos and I'm not seeing it?

Its Roger Hyde-Albert on the list

and Susan Hyde-Albert on the photos

and I've made a reference to Ace Ventura Pet Detective to link the two together.

Quote from: notjosh on March 21, 2019, 02:07:36 PM
I've already forgotten everything that's happened on this show since they revealed the 'caddy'. How much do you reckon I should rewatch to get back up to speed?

repeated all the time on one of the Freeview channels

gilbertharding

I've only ever seen the odd episode of this. There was one where Keeley Horse was in a van which fell over. I'm now watching the whole thing from the beginning on the iPlayer. Up to episode 2 now - where Gina McKee gets her throat slit and it goes on the carpet. Looking forward to the rest, but it's a bit silly.

Anyone watch Endeavour? I'm looking forward to the 14th series which by my calculations will be set in 1987 (when the original series of Morse started).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 26, 2019, 04:40:22 PM
I've only ever seen the odd episode of this. There was one where Keeley Horse was in a van which fell over. I'm now watching the whole thing from the beginning on the iPlayer. Up to episode 2 now - where Gina McKee gets her throat slit and it goes on the carpet. Looking forward to the rest, but it's a bit silly.

Anyone watch Endeavour? I'm looking forward to the 14th series which by my calculations will be set in 1987 (when the original series of Morse started).

Is Lewis in this yet?

gilbertharding

Not yet. The real life Kevin Whatley would have been 30 in 1981, so perhaps Lewis'll start being in it in about 10 series time (assuming 1 series per year in real time). Dunno.

kalowski

Quote from: Phil_A on March 21, 2019, 08:24:17 PM
It was Hyde-Albert on both lists, not Hargreaves. Sorry I was on my phone when I posted that earlier.
Interesting. It's Roger Hyde-Albert on the list and Susan Hyde-Albert in the photos.

gib

Heads up everyone, 9:00 tonight.

Phil_A

The Balaclava Boys must be slipping, leaving bodies lying about all over the shop. AC12 still have yet to find the remains of Jacqueline Laverty, yet now they're just dumping Maneet where she can easily be found? Sloppy!

Without sounding too smug I guessed the twist, although it was fairly obvious they were leading us up the wrong path with the UCO.

kalowski

I enjoyed it. Just enough there to keep us all in the dark. Really looking forward to how this unravels.

With the UCO I do think the Dec Super said "she" during the first meeting. My wife's out tonight, so we'll end up watching it again tomorrow, so I'll listen out.

Rev+

Quote from: Phil_A on March 31, 2019, 10:09:07 PMWithout sounding too smug I guessed the twist, although it was fairly obvious they were leading us up the wrong path with the UCO.

Yeah, I guessed it too, but only because the rest of the crew were so anonymous we only really had one possibility.  As ridiculous as this thing gets, having a woman going undercover in an all-male gang would seem a bit odd even to the in-universe police.

Phil_A

Quote from: Phil_A on March 10, 2019, 03:30:55 PM
Rewatching Series 1 and I really think that little cunt Ryan got off way too easily considering all the nasty shit he's involved in. In his first appearance alone he gets another dealer brutally murdered for no reason, the kid's a psychopath!

Although I suppose would be satisfying pay-off if we came back to him years later to find out he's now running Tommy Hunter's old mob or something along those lines.

Apparently my wish was granted, as I found out from reading the Guardian comments that Ryan was one of the gang in this episode, same actor and everything! As callbacks go, that's up there with the "Cleanshirt" boy from the first episode of Peep Show turning up years later to do over Mark's flat.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The twist worked for me as I fully embraced the red herring. I do love to nestle a red herring in my arms, gullible fool that I am.

What are the spoiler rules here? The usual? If you're wading into a Line of Duty thread after an episode goes out, it's fair to assume that you've watched it?

Rev+

Well I don't set the rules, but open discussion should be fair game once the episode has been shown.  Why would you look at the thread if you're aware that an episode of a TV series has been shown and you've not watched it, but want to see what people are saying about it?  The kind of person who would do that is the kind of person who would end up having their head caved in with a rock, weighted down, and dumped into the sea like Stephen Graham in the third episode of this.

Rev+

Also, like, it's a Heart of Darkness thing.  There's the one, but there's the other one and all.  She's going down the river and it's all fucked.

Quote from: Phil_A on March 31, 2019, 10:09:07 PM
The Balaclava Boys must be slipping, leaving bodies lying about all over the shop. AC12 still have yet to find the remains of Jacqueline Laverty, yet now they're just dumping Maneet where she can easily be found? Sloppy!

Without sounding too smug I guessed the twist, although it was fairly obvious they were leading us up the wrong path with the UCO.

Same place at least two other bodies have been dumped in previous seasons.

gilbertharding

Finished watching series 1 on the iplayer last night. Apparently we have until Saturday to watch all the other episodes before we can start on series 5...

Really enjoyed it. I wonder why I never bothered in the past...

Luckily I don't mind spoilers, innit?

jobotic

Never watched series 1. After 4 we watched 2 and 3 on Netflix but they didn't have 1.

Still, I'm not going to watch it all by Saturday.

sprocket

I can't wait to find out the significance of the Belfast Giants team bus passing in the background of Vihan's arrest.

Blinder Data

I love this programme

I love Martin Compston's weird English accent that no one in real life speaks

I love that it's filmed in a gritty realistic manner while the storylines get more and more preposterous

I love the shit acting from the extras

I love the fact that it's clearly filmed in Belfast even though they try really hard to make it seem like an unnamed English city in the Midlands, complete with unconvincing made-up neighbourhood names

I love the cheesy music and the moody looks the characters throw over balconies and through frosted glass (the shot of the officer in the secret division through the venetian blinds this episode was particularly enjoyable)

No British telly series has been so good and so weirdly bad so consistently

---

So why did Stephen Graham have Maneet killed? Did he give up all the heroin and cash just to put the rival crime gang out of business?

Obviously something is going on with Ted this series. I'm sure he'll end up involved but not that involved.

Waking Life

Forgot how much I enjoy this show. The implication seemed to be that there are two undercover officers in the gang (unbeknownst to each other), with the assumption that Ted was calling the gang woman in the earlier scene. It is early days though so might be a deliberate red herring, but there could be mileage in that concept of them going head to head at a later point in the interview rooms. Feels a bit Departed though, although would explain why Ted was so angry with Scottish cop. I'm also curious as to why the undercover operation is so hush hush; they have raised the stakes as high as possible in previous series so not sure how much further it can go. Even the overly fake signposting of Ted being 'corrupt' almost seems less climactic than TTOI Jamie corruption reveal.

It's a far better show, but it is reminding me more of Prison Break as time goes on. In that there is always Someone Else pulling the strings at a higher level, leaving an almost infinite escalation. Until the corruption ends up going up to someone as utterly implausible as the US President.

Rev+

Your spoilered thing there is what I meant by Heart of Darkness - they've sent someone up-river because they've lost communication, but as all of the departments aggressively refuse to share information the primary operation doesn't have a clue about the secondary one.

What does Hastings actually do, by the way?  He flies off the handle in interrogation scenes and has the power to teleport to locations unexpectedly, but have we ever seen the idle bastard doing anything resembling police work?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sprocket on April 01, 2019, 04:36:58 PM
I can't wait to find out the significance of the Belfast Giants team bus passing in the background of Vihan's arrest.

Isn't this set in Belfast?

BlodwynPig

That hotel room Ted is staying in. Christ. Get a Premier Inn at least man.

jobotic

If no one says "sordid little grief hole" before the end of the series then I'm out.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 02, 2019, 02:30:26 AM
Isn't this set in Belfast?

It's filmed in Belfast but set in a generic, non-specific English city. Londonchester, somewhere like that.

Quote from: jobotic on April 02, 2019, 12:35:21 PM
If no one says "sordid little grief hole" before the end of the series then I'm out.

I'd like to think that Ted's hotel purgatory is a deliberate nod to IAP. Next thing we know he'll be dismantling a trouser press.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 02, 2019, 02:34:33 AM
That hotel room Ted is staying in. Christ. Get a Premier Inn at least man.

The only way to have improved that scene was to have the guy behind the desk a Geordie.