Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:49:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Line Of Duty Series 5

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2019, 12:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 02, 2019, 07:19:36 PMI'd like to think that Ted's hotel purgatory is a deliberate nod to IAP. Next thing we know he'll be dismantling a trouser press.

Operation Peartree.

kalowski

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 02, 2019, 07:19:36 PM
I'd like to think that Ted's hotel purgatory is a deliberate nod to IAP. Next thing we know he'll be dismantling a trouser press.
Hence "Operation Pear Tree"

EDIT: Needless to say, Gib had the last laugh.

kitsofan34

Where is Ted Hastings pissing and shitting?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kitsofan34 on April 03, 2019, 12:07:25 AM
Where is Ted Hastings pissing and shitting?

at work, like the rest of us

MidnightShambler

I've binged on the whole thing since last Saturday after missing it all first time round and I've finally caught up to Series 5, Episode 1. I fucking love this programme, as preposterous as it is. It's just great escapist telly, especially when Ted loses his temper and calls people 'fella'.

Thing is though, I hope it gets to a resolution either at the end of this series or the next one, there's only so far up the chain you can keep going while remaining even slightly realistic. At the rate it's going at now there's not much point in the police, it's more or less a front for a criminal gang and it's got to stop before every character is revealed to be dodgy or have hidden motives, sort of like when The X-Files became unwatchable.

They can't reveal Steve, Kate or Ted to be bent though surely, it'd render the whole thing pointless wouldn't it?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 03, 2019, 12:19:07 AM
at work, like the rest of us

What if he gets caught short in the middle of the night? A Tesco bag, probably.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 04, 2019, 12:09:13 AM
What if he gets caught short in the middle of the night? A Tesco bag, probably.

He'd get a taxi to work, like I do.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He could still use the toilet even if the flush wasn't working.  Just pouring a bucket or a big jug of water into it should get rid of the waste.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 04, 2019, 05:57:34 PM
These references must be deliberate.

Simon Pegg even tweeted this on Monday.

https://twitter.com/Simon_Pegg/status/1112465670468456448

Blinder Data

Episode 2, then. I found some of the dialogue pretty ropey. That bit between Stephen Graham and the female gangster when he said "money, power, respect - that's what I want". Bit on the nose, fellas. Same goes for his and Arnott's conversation in the car.

I'm also getting a little bit annoyed that they keep hinting that Hastings is involved without saying anything substantial. He obviously isn't the photo the bent copper pointed to so that felt like a cheap ending. It looked like he shared the same messaging service as the mystery man who conversed with Stephen Graham. This is just a guess but I reckon that the dodgy investment opportunity that the Police Fed rep guy offered to Hastings in the hotel lobby is a front for the OCG that coppers put money into, and that'll be the extent of Hastings' involvement. He'll be investigated etc. as his name will be on documents but he wasn't aware he was investing in mob stuff so he'll be all right.

I also thought Arnott went along with Stephen Graham a bit too readily for me but this series is already promising to be better than the last one so I'm not complaining too much.

jobotic

he was on the phone to OCG woman in episode one, wasn't he? Sorry, forgotten her name. Obviously we don't know that he knows who she is.

Is she a copper too?

edit: just remembered she was banging on sorting out the old boss so probably not.

Blinder Data

Quote from: jobotic on April 08, 2019, 04:19:12 PM
he was on the phone to OCG woman in episode one, wasn't he? Sorry, forgotten her name. Obviously we don't know that he knows who she is.

Is she a copper too?

edit: just remembered she was banging on sorting out the old boss so probably not.

That was what they wanted us to think. They keep putting out these mysterious scenes and edits, hoping we'll put 2+2 together and make 5, the bastards

BlodwynPig

Loved it. Unlike most other shows it seemed to go by not so rapidly and we got more storyline before the next cliffhanger.

Bently Sheds

The compensation company offering to handle Ted's mis-sold investment? OCG are behind it.

Steve's girlfriend wanting to get back together with him? OCG are behind it.

Kate getting a cup of coffee and sadly shaking her head across the office at Steve? OCG are behind it.

studpuppet

Well, whoever the person at the other end of the laptop is, they can't spell 'definitely'...

Phil_A

Is "CHRIST'S SAKE, STEVE!" replacing "Hold on there, fella"?

Phil_A

Jesus, poor old Mrs Ted. It really doesn't pay to be a TV copper's spouse, does it.

My guess is that painfully obvious misdirect of Hastings closing his laptop was nothing more sinister than him anxiously checking his finances to see the money had come in yet.

My guess is

Hastings is on the other end of the computer, but he's not H. Hastings has seen a void now that Hilton is dead and he's working with Lisa. Either she's an undercover cop or she's an informant. So Hastings pretends to be H to try and root out more corruption but he's in a bit over his head.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Phil_A on April 14, 2019, 10:06:05 PM
Jesus, poor old Mrs Ted. It really doesn't pay to be a TV copper's spouse, does it.

My guess is that painfully obvious misdirect of Hastings closing his laptop was nothing more sinister than him anxiously checking his finances to see the money had come in yet.

then wrapping it up and taking it to be scrapped?

dallasman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 15, 2019, 12:11:27 AM

Yeah, that does not compute. Something's up, though it could still be unrelated, and essentially a misdirect.

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 14, 2019, 11:14:57 PM
My guess is
Hastings is on the other end of the computer, but he's not H. Hastings has seen a void now that Hilton is dead and he's working with Lisa. Either she's an undercover cop or she's an informant. So Hastings pretends to be H to try and root out more corruption but he's in a bit over his head.

That's what I've been wondering about, and it seems vaguely plausible. I was annoyed at the revelation in ep1 that John was the one, because why did Lisa act so nervously? So maybe they're both deep undercover and in over their heads? On the other hand, the unidentified brothel patron (Hargreaves?) was apparently nervous around her, and she seems to have been with the OCG considerably longer than Corbett. She would have to be part of a very secret, long-running UC operation; one that may or may not have been set up by someone bent.

Anyway, I grimaced a little at the end of ep1, not just at the implausibility of Corbett's predicament, but also because I was sad to see lovely Maneet go. Now Hargreaves - another great bit part - pretty much given away in the "previously", and killed off without speaking a line. I'm getting into the groove of it, though. Corbett generates a lot of high stakes action, and there's obviously something going on with Hastings.

Quote from: studpuppet on April 14, 2019, 09:13:46 PM
Well, whoever the person at the other end of the laptop is, they can't spell 'definitely'...

That stood out, meant to be noted. We'll definitevely see that spelling again.

btw: Didn't the forum used to have those black "redacted" bars? The white text is rubbish.

Mobius

(not reading the last few posts because I'm yet to watch the latest episode)

Just an FYI if you guys weren't aware already, there's a BBC podcast called Obsessed with Line of Duty hosted by Brett Goldstein and Lolly Adelope that has a few cast members on. They talk about theories etc, no spoilers. It's surprisingly funny and entertaining (I didn't think much of Brett or Lolly prior, but they come across as genuinely nice/funny and proper LoD fans)

worth a listen if you want more LoD in your life

Waking Life

Another fun episode. I went into the Guardian's discussion though and it probably overdoes the theories. Nothing is a surprise.

That said, my take is that Lisa MacQueen is undercover. The social services snippet seems like a typical background info plant. I would suspect also working with Hastings (although that seems a bit too signposted?), as not really sure they can reasonably justify another hidden sanctioned undercover operation. Would also explain Hastings being nervous, although I'm not sure what in God's name his motivation would be to take such a risk. Because he doesn't actually think Hilton is H? Not sure why he wouldn't want his 'best team' on it then. Maybe some link to MacQueen from an old case, although that would feel cheap given they've been working on the same gang for five series essentially. Also still think Stephen Graham's character is a proper baddie and more calculating than he pretends to be.

I really hope that it's going to go into proper interrogation mode soon. Only three episodes left and it's definitely missing that. Generally, it's been a tell-don't-show series but this one is definitely more action driven. It's the Bodyguard influence.

The MO of the OCG is rather similar to what was set up with the old copper and that investment firm.

I think Ted's dipped his tip in*, realised what's what and is panicking slightly.

*on the dipping his tip/AP front, was kind of hoping for a tub of chocolate mouse to be prominent in his wee little Travelodge.

**rewatched: the call signs 4 5 and 3 7 were used in the raid scene for Steve and Kate respectively. Jed. Nice.

BlodwynPig

Yes, i suspect Hastings sees the bigger picture but knows he cannot take action quite yet, little hints like he's preparing. Maybe laptop was bugged

studpuppet

More importantly, did Partridge ever do anything similar?

Quote from: Mobius on April 15, 2019, 02:42:07 AM
Lolly Adelope

*checks big leatherbound C&B volume of Chris Morris names*

Phil_A

Oh fuck, Jaqueline's still in the freezer! That's a callback and a half.

Utter Shit

Phil_A

I think a clearer picture is emerging. It's looking like McQueen is another undercover officer presumably placed in the OCG to monitor Corbett as he had become a liability.

I now feel absolutely certain Hastings isn't "H" but it has always been him on the other end of the laptop. He puts the misspelling in deliberately so she always knows it's really him she's talking to, hence why he jumped in during the AC12 hi-jack of the messaging system and made sure there was one "definately" dropped in there so she wouldn't suspect interference.

But if this is true I suppose the question is why Hastings would keep this operation so secret even from his most trusted officers, does he suspect one of them?

But then of course the brown envelope full of cash could throw this whole theory in the bin and maybe good old Ted is bent as a two bob note after all. Arghhh.

kalowski

Fuck me that was good. I think the gasp my wife gave when Corbett was offed could have been heard on Mars.
Ted can not be a wrong 'un. He follows the law to the letter. TO THE LETTER!