Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:30:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I was watching The Ladykillers last night...

Started by Shit Good Nose, March 05, 2019, 01:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

...(the original).  It's still a classic of course and I've seen it many many times over the years.  But last night, watching it for the first time in the best part of a decade, I noticed a little odd moment that I'd never clocked before.  Alec Guinness has his back to Herbert Lom who is berating him, and then the camera closes in on an angry Lom who stops mid-sentence and suddenly has a look of worry on his face, the music changes, the camera cuts to Guinness' back, then cuts to Peter Sellers who has a look of panic on his face and is reaching, presumably, for a gun, before the whole moment is interrupted by the entrance of Katie Johnson and her farty door.

What duh fuck dat all about?

The only thing I can liken it to is that moment at the very end of Taxi Driver when Travis looks in the rearview mirror.

Also here's where I say I don't mind the Coen brothers remake. 

Wet Blanket

I'm pretty sure it's because in 1955 Alec Guinness' expression was deemed too scary for a U certificate so they chopped it out to avoid an A. I think there is a version they sometimes show on TV with the scary face intact, but for some reason it's the cut version that's on certain home media versions. It might be that at some point it got restored from a censored print and this became the 'official' one.

Similarly, Universal's official release version of Psycho appears to be the vintage 'censored' version. The bits cut out have cropped up on TV prints 

Glebe

Yeah, that moment in odd. I think I just assumed that they knew he was about to turn mental or summit. In any case, it's one of me favourite films.

I've only seen the Coen's remake once a few years back, but I was not impressed. Mrs. Wilberforce, such an essential ingredient of the original film, is reduced to a shouty woman as I recall.

Didn't Graham 'Transphobia' Linehan do a stage version or that?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 05, 2019, 02:33:47 PM
Similarly, Universal's official release version of Psycho appears to be the vintage 'censored' version. The bits cut out have cropped up on TV prints 

There's a German "Legacy Collection" released a few weeks ago that has the uncut version.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3532642/upcoming-psycho-collection-blu-ray-release-germany-includes-home-video-debut-psycho-uncut/