Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Witcher 3 is shite [split topic]

Started by biggytitbo, March 05, 2019, 11:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

I'm still playing. I would agree that mechanically it's absolute turd, plus it's Game of Thrones wannabee bawdiness is incredibly cheesy and forced. But, it's world building, story and most of the acting is keeping me playing. Once you get immersed in its world most of its flaws are surmountable. I do have a feeling its going to be much too long though, I'd like to get any game I play finished in a few weeks at absolute most.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

José

anyone tried the enhanced edition 4.0 mod? worth a reinstall?

"good"/soulsesque combat sounds pretty appealing but the other features (overhauled crafting system) sound a bit bloaty. (like yer ma)

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 09, 2019, 09:16:07 PM
I'm still playing. I would agree that mechanically it's absolute turd, plus it's Game of Thrones wannabee bawdiness is incredibly cheesy and forced. But, it's world building, story and most of the acting is keeping me playing. Once you get immersed in its world most of its flaws are surmountable. I do have a feeling its going to be much too long though, I'd like to get any game I play finished in a few weeks at absolute most.

word of advice; take a long breather after the main game's done before jumping into the dlcs (they add like another 100 hours or so easily, if you're thorough). they're set like years after the main campaign anyway and very separate distinct stories.

The Culture Bunker

Just one of those games that didn't work for me. I can quite happily get involved in a lengthy RPG romp (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout) but this was just torture. Part of me wonders if my lack of patience was due to being thrown an already developed character I had no stakes with. Maybe one day I'll give it another crack, but I'd have to be pretty bored to do so.

Zetetic

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 09, 2019, 09:16:07 PM
incredibly cheesy
Well, yes.

Quote from: José on March 09, 2019, 10:22:28 PM
"good"/soulsesque combat sounds pretty appealing
Nah.

Quoteword of advice; take a long breather after the main game's done before jumping into the dlcs (they add like another 100 hours or so easily, if you're thorough). they're set like years after the main campaign anyway and very separate distinct stories.
Don't do this for Hearts of Stone. It's a nice way to break up the main game (after you get to Novigrad, perhaps?), is set in the same area (Velen/Oxenfurt), and is set during the war.

Thursday

Yeah Blood and Wine is the major expansion, but Hearts of Stone is the best self-contained story, and it's fun and gives you something different to do.

wooders1978

Quote from: Thursday on March 09, 2019, 11:45:52 PM
Yeah Blood and Wine is the major expansion, but Hearts of Stone is the best self-contained story, and it's fun and gives you something different to do.

I'd say go for both - hearts of stone is shorter but has an ace story - the real value for money is in blood and wine though

biggytitbo

wooders1978

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 11, 2019, 11:32:33 AM
I nobbed that witch.

Which one?
I nobbed 2 - think you can do 3 but haven't cracked the ginge yet in any play through

biggytitbo

I don't know the first one you meet.

At a city now and the frame rate has shit the bed

Thursday

Typical! Doesn't even learn their names!

It would have been Kiera Metz.

falafel

biggytitbo

I had to drop back to an earlier save on this because the bit with the pirates on the ship was impossible so I presume I have to spend ages levelling up before I should carry on?

Zetetic

Switch off levelling - you've been told.

I know you're playing it on a PS4 - you need to fix that too.

biggytitbo

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 12, 2019, 06:10:08 PM
How do I switch off levelling?

The switch is most likely located next to your electric meter and/or fuse box.

Zetetic

biggytitbo

I've got it on pc but I want to play it on ps4 so this isn't a serious suggestion.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 05, 2019, 09:47:41 PM
Go and do all the side quests at your level before progressing the story is basically the thing to do

I really should have been doing this instead of just accumulating quests by the bucket-load and saying to myself that I'll come back to them 'at some point'. Vastly over levelled for a fair few at this point, so there's no incentive to do them beyond the intrigue and promise of an interesting story.

Just arrived in Skellige so probably at a similar point to you biggy.

Still find the way Geralt controls and interacts with the environment to be absolutely atrocious. Makes controlling Arthur Morgan seem like the epitome of precision and slick movement by comparison.

biggytitbo

Yeah his controls have cheap eurojank game written all over them, so jittery and clunky. He runs like he's shit himself too, which he may have for all I know but I couldn't see it in his stats.

biggytitbo

I'm still playing this but only just realised how you level up, so have been playing with all of my skill tree at the lowest level. It's Dark Souls all over again.

The thing where you have to 'find dandelion' is so long i'm not sure i'll ever complete it in my lifetime.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 16, 2019, 07:12:37 PM
I'm still playing this but only just realised how you level up...

That's alright, mate.  I've been upon this earth for 37 years and I still don't know how to level up.

Twed

Quote from: kittens on March 05, 2019, 02:02:51 PM
i didn't like it because it was so windy all the time. felt like it was bugged or something. if it was just a bit windy i probably would have liked it. life's too short to spend my time in a windy fantasy.
And yet you are fully mobile.

St_Eddie

biggytitbo

Finally got to Skellige, feels like this game is going to go on forever.

You're about five percent of the way through.

Urinal Cake

Yeah it is underwhelming. Apart the combat which is average the sell was that your story/character options were uncompromising/unsentimental. They were but the characters and story were largely without charm or empathy. Except the whole baby episode.

biggytitbo

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 19, 2019, 07:38:00 AM
You're about five percent of the way through.

Oh god no, better get a move on.

OK, about a third maybe. I assumed I was halfway but no. I finished around level 40 or something and did almost no side content. You could honestly be about ten percent if you did all the side stuff.

madhair60