Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:13:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Witcher 3 is shite [split topic]

Started by biggytitbo, March 05, 2019, 11:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

The attention to detail in the tits in this game is very impressive. Big, small, pert, droopy, wrinkly, a lot of variety. I don't know if they're hand crafted or procedurally generated but it's clear a lot of effort went into them.

Mister Six

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 05, 2019, 09:47:41 PM
Go and do all the side quests at your level before progressing the story is basically the thing to do

See, I did this (and a lot of riding around and playing Gwent) because I'd heard the game was merciless about getting rid of sidequests once you go past certain points in the story, but they're fucking never-ending and I became both grotesquely over-levelled and completely disconnected from any kind of narrative drive. I ended up like a rat in a Skinner box who's not even enjoying the jolts to his brain any more.

I'll probably plough through the main story quest just so I can say I did it, but fucking off some of the side quests and keeping close to the main missions (and not pissing about with the ten million monster lairs/smugger's caches/whatever other shit is sprinkled across the map) would have stood me in much better stead.

EDIT: Also I found the whole "no good choice" thing a bit fucking wearying. A bit of moral ambiguity/complexity is welcome, but when every story feels like you're choosing between "kick child to death to save puppy" or "kick puppy to death to save child" it gets a bit oppressive. I quite liked that troll in the shipwreck though. Wish he could have become my mate and followed me about a bit.

Chollis

Well I think it's a pretty bloody good game.

kalowski

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 19, 2019, 10:43:28 PM
The attention to detail in the tits in this game is very impressive. Big, small, pert, droopy, wrinkly, a lot of variety. I don't know if they're hand crafted or procedurally generated but it's clear a lot of effort went into them.
They're all procedurally generated by the time etc

biggytitbo

I like the fact the hideous little creature is just labelled as 'the ugliest man alive' and he also says umuna as if he is cursing the mediocre MP.

biggytitbo

I'm still playing this. It feels like it will never end. I fear may never get out of this one alive.

Harpo Speaks

Main quest seems to be progressing at pace but I've got plenty of secondary quests and contracts to be doing. Visiting the question marks in a region becomes redundant after a certain point - the same loop of bandit camps, guarded treasure and monster nests that deliver little in the way of decent loot. Ubisoft style filler.

Have you had any issues with any bugs at all Biggy? I've had more issues than I ever had with Skyrim. Usual side-effect of such a huge open world I know, I just found it interesting as I don't recall it having a reputation as a particularly buggy game.

biggytitbo

Not too many actually, I think there were a few instances where events didn't trigger proeroly and I had t reload but mostly pretty solid. I did get trapped in the scenary on one occasion and had to revert to an earlier save though.

wooders1978

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on March 24, 2019, 10:45:40 PM
Main quest seems to be progressing at pace but I've got plenty of secondary quests and contracts to be doing. Visiting the question marks in a region becomes redundant after a certain point - the same loop of bandit camps, guarded treasure and monster nests that deliver little in the way of decent loot. Ubisoft style filler.

Have you had any issues with any bugs at all Biggy? I've had more issues than I ever had with Skyrim. Usual side-effect of such a huge open world I know, I just found it interesting as I don't recall it having a reputation as a particularly buggy game.

Not to teach you to suck eggs but you have the up to date patches installed one assumes? Game was pretty much broken upon release but has had significant patching even recently

wooders1978

Also there is free dlc that you should get if you don't have it already

biggytitbo

Do you think they'll ever invent a game where a NPC doesn't stand in the doorway so you can't get out and they won't move and it's really annoying?

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2019, 09:45:08 PM
Do you think they'll ever invent a game where a NPC doesn't stand in the doorway so you can't get out and they won't move and it's really annoying?

No.  That's quite literally impossible.  Even within the Star Trek universe's holodeck, that was a constant technical issue.  The number of episodes which ended with Captain Picard attempting, desperately, to free himself from betwixt a bush and a rock by means of frantically jumping up and down was quite frankly, embarrassing.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 25, 2019, 12:26:02 PM
Not to teach you to suck eggs but you have the up to date patches installed one assumes? Game was pretty much broken upon release but has had significant patching even recently

Yeah I'm all up to date. Might just be a combination of bad luck and some of the par-for-the-course issues you get with massive open worlds.

Some of it has just been graphical glitches, things like that. Recently there was an entire series of cutscenes where the NPC I was interacting with had an arrow stuck through his hand for the duration after he'd been using a bow in the previous section for example.

Others have been a bit more irritating. Complete crash to the PSN dashboard during one of the Ciri flashbacks. Another, which is apparently a known issue, involved me being unable to follow Triss as she had decided to walk face first into the side of a house and remain there walking on the spot indefinitely until I restarted the quest. I've also had repeated instances of the game locking me out of certain actions/button presses - being unable to dive whilst in water for example was one I recall happening at least twice. The last issue I had was some bizarre sound issues around the time of the Ugly Baby quest, dialogue was still working but various sound effects - striking with a sword, navigating parts of the menu etc played out in complete silence until I restarted the game.

Thanks for the reminder regarding the DLC though, had forgotten all about that.

biggytitbo

I'm at level 30 now but I still find the whole character tab a thing of mystery. I'm basically just randomly putting stuff in the slots so it looks nice. Think I might be nearing the end now but have to admit I've mostly lost track with what is happening.

Harpo Speaks

There is a potion you can get which allows you to re-allocate your skill points, so it's not the end of the world if you're regretting your build at all.

I'm about three levels below you I think. I've made a decision to try my hardest not to accumulate any more secondary quests and contracts now, and instead just to focus on clearing the ones I have and pressing on with the main storyline.

biggytitbo

I've 'ploughed' (i think this is meant to be a swear word in witcher land) everything into the shield and the firestorm, which seem the most useful - although its still a mite confusing how your levelled up powers have to be added seperetly to a slot. I also think they're meant to have an alternate fire mode but I can't work out how to do it. All the mutagen stuff i have some but I can't see what difference they make or exactly how they're meant to be associated with the powers, some have connecting lines and some don't for no discernible reason. Most of the other tabs I've barely touched.

biggytitbo

Killed two wild hunt cunts whilst replenishing my energy mid battle with chicken legs and grilled pork, that's hard. But now I got to race up to some castle with yennefer and it's turned into an almost unplayable slideshow. Anyone else see that on the ps4?

biggytitbo

Weird anti-climax to the main game. So she just tried to go fight some frost and is dead end of story?

Playing blood and wine now.

Timothy

Seems like you got the bad ending.

biggytitbo

There is more than one ending then? I can't remember what I did, just twatted the bad fella at the end. There was a short dialogue tree I think, does the whole ending depend on that? Bit of a swizz of that's the case.

Timothy

Ending depends on all your actions and choices during the game. For example if you say no to the snowball fight then you are one more step towards the bad ending.

There are three or four endings.

sponk

Loved this game. The load screens took the piss though, nearly ruined the whole thing.

Zetetic

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 28, 2019, 11:25:39 PM
There was a short dialogue tree I think, does the whole ending depend on that?
Nope.

The determination that you're a cunt has been a detailed and lengthy process I'm afraid.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Timothy on March 28, 2019, 11:28:15 PM
Ending depends on all your actions and choices during the game. For example if you say no to the snowball fight then you are one more step towards the bad ending.

There are three or four endings.

I don't remember any snowball fight. The only bit of the game I felt was very obviously judging me was when Ciri asks you to go steal the horses and I went along with it but it definitely seemed like this was the game clumsily setting up a different path. I can't say I recall anything else like that. I'm not going to pretend I was paying 100% attention to the dialogue so I may have missed something, but looks like I ended up with the 'bad' ending where I have to go kill the crone at the end.

Mobius

Isn't the snowball fight at Kaer Morhan (Witcher HQ) at the start of the game.

Blood & Wine was cracking. Could easily have been its own standalone RPG to be honest, so much effort compared to most DLCs..

biggytitbo

The levelling feels a bit off in Blood and Wine. The main story is 3 or 4 levels off quite early on, meaning you have to do a helluva lot of side quests and grinding to get to the recommending level.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 30, 2019, 03:55:54 PM
The levelling feels a bit off in Blood and Wine. The main story is 3 or 4 levels off quite early on, meaning you have to do a helluva lot of side quests and grinding to get to the recommending level.

Have you done Hearts of Stone already? Blood & Wine came out after that so I guess they aimed it at folks who had already gained a few extra levels.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Zetetic on March 28, 2019, 11:43:56 PM
Nope.

The determination that you're a cunt has been a detailed and lengthy process I'm afraid.

:-D

biggytitbo

There's a quest later where you hallucinate your horse can talk and geralt finally asks the question I've been wondering all along - how does he turn up every time I whistle?

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 03, 2019, 08:37:37 PM
There's a quest later where you hallucinate your horse can talk and geralt finally asks the question I've been wondering all along - how does he turn up every time I whistle?

Don't leave us all hanging!  What's the answer?