Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Witcher 3 is shite [split topic]

Started by biggytitbo, March 05, 2019, 11:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

It's quite funny and it has the voice of a wise cracking animal companion in a cgi cartoon https://youtu.be/WgECf4BFCz8

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 03, 2019, 10:31:14 PM
It's quite funny and it has the voice of a wise cracking animal companion in a cgi cartoon https://youtu.be/WgECf4BFCz8

Nice acknowledgment of the poor A.I. pathfinding there.

Timothy

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 28, 2019, 11:54:58 PM

I don't remember any snowball fight. The only bit of the game I felt was very obviously judging me was when Ciri asks you to go steal the horses and I went along with it but it definitely seemed like this was the game clumsily setting up a different path. I can't say I recall anything else like that. I'm not going to pretend I was paying 100% attention to the dialogue so I may have missed something, but looks like I ended up with the 'bad' ending where I have to go kill the crone at the end.

Then you probably said no to Ciri. It was an optional snowball fight with her. If you said no you are a step closer to the bad ending.

Best game ever made imo.

biggytitbo

Yes, its a lovely, lovely bit of fun.

biggytitbo

Im stuck behind a bit of scenery now and can't get out.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 05, 2019, 06:49:48 AM
Im stuck behind a bit of scenery now and can't get out.

Story of my life.

biggytitbo

Can't get past this vampire fella at the end now because my sword and armour are broken and there's no opportunity to fix em. Having to try and burn him to death but it's a long drawn out affair. Any tips?

The Lion King

I tried replaying this game and echo kittens statement, it is far too windy. Coming off the back of a Skyrim replay, I have no sense of inhabiting this world, even when I just walk everywhere. The NPC's in Skyrim aren't half weird and their eyes freak me out but this game really exists in uncanny valley, why does everyone seem like they are putting on an accent for a laugh? Feels like watching a shite fantasy drama. Geralt is shit.

Bazooka

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 09, 2019, 10:41:00 PM
Can't get past this vampire fella at the end now because my sword and armour are broken and there's no opportunity to fix em. Having to try and burn him to death but it's a long drawn out affair. Any tips?

I'm afraid your only option is to use a GameShark cartridge.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: The Lion King on April 10, 2019, 01:04:32 AM
I tried replaying this game and echo kittens statement, it is far too windy. Coming off the back of a Skyrim replay, I have no sense of inhabiting this world, even when I just walk everywhere. The NPC's in Skyrim aren't half weird and their eyes freak me out but this game really exists in uncanny valley, why does everyone seem like they are putting on an accent for a laugh? Feels like watching a shite fantasy drama. Geralt is shit.

I enjoyed the NPC interactions for the most part, though some of the standard lines from the ones that you can't interact with soon became quite repetitive to hear as you were riding through. Didn't really have a problem with most of the voice work, though an American accent feels rather jarring when it comes out of the mouth of a character in a medieval fantasy setting. Bit of an odd choice.

I did warm to Geralt over the course of the game - when I started though I recall thinking he was just another example of that archetypal gravel-voiced, gruff male protagonist that we've seen a million times before, but there is a little more to him. Shame that he physically interacts with the world about as gracefully as a shopping trolley that's been pushed down some concrete steps, but at least there was some nice dialogue in there.

Finished the main game at the weekend. Some things I think it does brilliantly, but it's not a game I'm ever going to love. Some of that isn't the games fault admittedly, as I'm just not a massive fan of the fantasy setting in general. Still, 130 hours clearly means I got something out of it.

Blue Jam

Gave this a go because I wanted to try it before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, as a few people recommended on here.

Cheers, it's really put me off.

Jerzy Bondov

No it's a really good game. Here's a thread from a much beloved poster who changed his mind about it.

I'm still doing the second DLC, something like 110 hours in. Fucking love it.

Chollis

best game ever. can't wait for the remastered version so i can do it all again!!

I've had Witcher 3 in my cupboard for 2 years, there are so many open world games out there that I have to have a pallet cleanser in-between. I finished Horizon Zero Dawn and now am close to finishing Breath of the Wild, this is next (after I've played something silly for a few weeks) and I'm hoping it adds to this rather than me thinking of all tired cliches I'm used to.

bgmnts

Witcher 3 was quite good wouldn't mind playing through it again. Gwent is my favourite side game/card game in any game.

druss

One of the best games ever, can't wait for PS5 to play it all again with lush graphics and decent frame rate. Never finished the DLC either.

Took me a while to get it though. Bloody Baron questline might be the best written in any RPG.

druss

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 20, 2020, 08:57:50 AM
Gave this a go because I wanted to try it before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, as a few people recommended on here.

Cheers, it's really put me off.
How far did you get?

mobias

My favourite game of all time. No one has come close to it for world building and characters you genuinely come to know and love by the end. I've done 3 full playthroughs and found something new in each one.

If they do an overhaul of the graphics for the new gen consoles and put it on a par with the best graphics mods you can get for it on PC then console players are in for a real treat.

Blue Jam

Quote from: druss on October 20, 2020, 06:58:06 PM
How far did you get?

Got two hours into it and yes, I know that's crap, but I got a very strong feeling that This Is Not For Me. Fantasy settings generally leave me cold and I haven't really enjoyed this one, or the combat, or the clunky movement and controls, or the characters, especially not Generic Hulking Gruff-Voiced Hero and his gratuitously nekkid wife.

There are card games in this? I fucking hate card games, sorry. Never got into the ones in RDR2 either.

I have just started No Man's Sky and I'm really enjoying that so maybe I just prefer open world sci fi settings. Or maybe I just have no taste.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Blue Jam

Nah, I got the exact same feeling I had after putting 20 hours into Fallout 4 and realising I wasn't enjoying it and was finding the whole thing quite irritating.

Just on a break from Nier: Automata after completing my first playthrough as I was getting a bit bored of it, but unlike TW3 I can see myself going back to it in a week or two. I know I joked about 9S being a bit emo but tbh that beats your clichéd gruff action hero and I liked the interactions between him and 2B.

I'll usually give games a good long go, just got a very bad feeling about this particular one.

evilcommiedictator

Fallout 4 is incredibly dumb, with no payoff story or lore wise. There's a story/quest early on in Witcher 3 that involves crones that once you're through it, you'll either get what it is trying to do, or be bored with and know it's not for you. If you're playing on PC mods are useful, I wanted to play with blade poisons and crafting and stuff, which is lots of tedious inventory-ing, which the mods helped immeasurably with. It's also worthwhile if you're finding it a bit dull to mainline the main quest

Mister Six

Just going to repeat the moans I made over a year ago in this very thread, because fuck it: it's a beautiful game with great character designs and fantastic writing, but the gameplay is tedious beyond belief, the world outside of the missions feels flat and uninvolving, the weapon upgrades basically feel meaningless, the combat is simplistic and repetitive, and the sheer mountain of side-missions feels increasingly like a chore as you plod on.

mobias

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 21, 2020, 12:25:22 AM
Got two hours into it and yes, I know that's crap, but I got a very strong feeling that This Is Not For Me. Fantasy settings generally leave me cold and I haven't really enjoyed this one, or the combat, or the clunky movement and controls, or the characters, especially not Generic Hulking Gruff-Voiced Hero and his gratuitously nekkid wife.

Thats quite a common feeling for a lot of people playing it, and it certainly was with me. I'm not usually into sword and sorcery RPG games either and like a lot of people I thought Geralt was utterly wooden and two dimensional for the good little while at the start. I kept on playing it though as so many other people seemed to be enjoying it and I'd paid a lot of money for it. You need to get a few hours into it and then everything seems to really click into place. The whole point of Geralt is that he's flat and wooden to begin with but the as the story unfolds you really go on a journey with him as a character. Also, because you're in charge of a lot of his decision making you eventually find your way into his head in a way I've never done in any other computer game character.

The biggest thing that draws you in though as you get a few hours into the game is just how well the world is realised. It has tons of real charm about it. Its party because the source material, the original books, rely a lot on traditional Eastern and Central European folklore. Is not just all silly dungeons and dragons for the sake of it. The world as some weight to it.

Quite early on in the game is the much celebrated 'Bloody Baron' sub plot, which is quite long. I think at that point for a lot of people the game and story clicks into gear. You realise at that point this isn't just another RPG fantasy romp. This is something a bit different. 

Jerzy Bondov

Honestly the best bit is the second DLC, Blood & Wine, which really taps into the fairytale aspects of the setting. Best to do it after the rest of the game though so you just need to get through 100 hours first.

Timothy

Quote from: Mister Six on October 21, 2020, 07:06:13 AM
Just going to repeat the moans I made over a year ago in this very thread, because fuck it: it's a beautiful game with great character designs and fantastic writing, but the gameplay is tedious beyond belief, the world outside of the missions feels flat and uninvolving, the weapon upgrades basically feel meaningless, the combat is simplistic and repetitive, and the sheer mountain of side-missions feels increasingly like a chore as you plod on.

This is the absolute opposite of my experience with this game. For me The Witcher is one of my favorite games ever made mainly because, imo, it has one of the best worlds in a game ever and because every single side mission has a great story and therefore a great reward. It's one of the only RPG's where side missions and leveling never felt like a chore. Every single side mission was a new journey where I couldn't wait what would happen. Can't wait to play this game again when the next gen patch arrives.

QuoteThe biggest thing that draws you in though as you get a few hours into the game is just how well the world is realised. It has tons of real charm about it. Its party because the source material, the original books, rely a lot on traditional Eastern and Central European folklore. Is not just all silly dungeons and dragons for the sake of it. The world as some weight to it.

Quite early on in the game is the much celebrated 'Bloody Baron' sub plot, which is quite long. I think at that point for a lot of people the game and story clicks into gear. You realise at that point this isn't just another RPG fantasy romp. This is something a bit different.

The Bloody Baron is often described as the point where you either go: ''Yes, this is great'' or ''Not for me''. I loved that quest.

Zetetic

Levelling mechanics are fucked.

Doesn't give a sense of progression because unlocks aren't significant enough, but the concept is at odds with the story anyway (Geralt isn't meant to be shit at the start compared to the end, so why make him play like he is).

Gates parts of each area for absolutely no reason, which is a large part of the chore issue as you have to go back-and-forth to play missions to level up so you can play missions that you've now galloped past over and over again because they were blocked by a half-naked bandit stronger than any mythical creature you've previously encountered.

Still astonishes me how much better a game it is if you mod the levelling out.

druss

Quote from: Zetetic on October 21, 2020, 10:27:33 AM
Levelling mechanics are fucked.

Doesn't give a sense of progression because unlocks aren't significant enough, but the concept is at odds with the story anyway (Geralt isn't meant to be shit at the start compared to the end, so why make him play like he is).

Gates parts of each area for absolutely no reason, which is a large part of the chore issue as you have to go back-and-forth to play missions to level up so you can play missions that you've now galloped past over and over again because they were blocked by a half-naked bandit stronger than any mythical creature you've previously encountered.

Still astonishes me how much better a game it is if you mod the levelling out.
Whole point of an RPG is progression even if it is at odds with the story. I'd argue it isn't though. Geralt isn't "a bit shit" at the beginning. I get the impression that 99.99% of people in the world would be ripped to shreds by the griffin. Probbaly more so by the noon wraith as they wouldn't know how the fuck to kill it. Pretty sure Vesemir says something right at the start about how a Witcher is always learning and improving so that also fits in with the RPG elements.

So that leaves you with the problem of random level 16 bandits killing you. Fair enough on that one. Certainly wasn't enough to spoil the rest of the game though. I'd either not fight them and justify it by saying Geralt wasn't concerned with such meagre opposition or grind them down slowly and pretend they were on magic steroids.

Mister Six

I've been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, another action-RPG thing (albeit more action than RPG) that has a similar roll-roll-roll-ATTACK system to Witcher 3, and it absolutely shits all over clunky old Geralt.

It has gating, or at least levelled quests and enemies in various parts of the map, but they're all sensibly grouped together so you're never (as you were in W3) sprinting past some pack of double hard bastard robbers to get to a big soft seven foot troll that you can take down with ease.

Skill trees unlock new abilities that are genuinely useful and change the way you approach encounters, which is a lot more helpful than whatever vague "stat increases by X%" shit you had to settle for in W3.

They're complimented by a constant drip-drip-drip of new weapons and ammo, each of which handles differently, provides a different function, and gives a different advantage over the enemies, which in turn require different tactics to beat. Much more interesting than "it's another grenade, but this one hurts ghosts that smell of poo".

Really emphasises how clunky and shit the combat in W3 was.