Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Documentary Now - Season 3

Started by RoadMaintenanceTycoon, March 06, 2019, 12:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

Has anyone else been obsessed with this? I caught the new Original Cast Album episode the other day and it was absolutely impeccable, John Mulaney as Sondheim really nails his sarcastic brooding vibe from the original Pennebaker doc. And the songs are great too. I love that a show as niche as this can exist.

Globesman (s02e04) is one of the greatest pieces of spoof TV I've ever seen, I can't fathom the lengths they must go to in the pursuit of making it feel real

Moribunderast

I love the show but am having trouble bringing myself to watch season 3 as it apparently no longer stars Hader and Armisen? Their performances (Hader's especially) were what made the show for me. As an avid watcher of documentaries, I do appreciate the parodies but I'm not sold on it working without those two. I did watch the opening double-episode of season 3 (parody of Wild, Wild Country) and it didn't do much for me, sad to say.

The first two series are very, very good.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 06, 2019, 02:29:57 AM
I love the show but am having trouble bringing myself to watch season 3 as it apparently no longer stars Hader and Armisen? Their performances (Hader's especially) were what made the show for me. As an avid watcher of documentaries, I do appreciate the parodies but I'm not sold on it working without those two. I did watch the opening double-episode of season 3 (parody of Wild, Wild Country) and it didn't do much for me, sad to say.

The first two series are very, very good.

Armisen is in the next three, "Waiting for the Artist", "Searching for Mr. Larson: A Love Letter from the Far Side" and "Long Gone".

neveragain

Watched all the new ones now.

Wasn't fond of the cult two-parter. The VHS footage didn't look right (unless it was that wavy in the actual documentaries it was based on) and the writing felt a bit weak. Plus, the leader's accident stretched credibility in a way the first two series never had an issue with. Keaton and Wilson both fine.

The rest were better but rarely approached the Hader days, except for the modern artist one (wonderful turn from Blanchett, with the biggest laugh at the end) and Gary Larson quest (Armisen great fun there). Co-Op too was lots of fun too but something felt missing. The songs are bloody great though and I love the actress screaming with eye pain. Richard Kind fab as ever.

Bowling and jazz man both had their moments, particularly Michael C. Hall's end speech in the former. Good nefariousness in the jazzy ep but the lack of own-language subtitles for Armisen speaking English on foreign TV bothered me. The best aspect of this show has always been the reverence of for detail, and as ever it may be the opening credits to each doc that I enjoyed the most.

cliggg

Would I need to be familiar with the documentaries they are spoofing to like this? That's what has put me off watching it so far.

neveragain

I don't know most of them and have still enjoyed the series. After looking up the source documentaries there's a whole other level to appreciate (with shots and stylistic choices being recreated/parodied).

A lot of the time (especially in the first two seasons), it's the characters that make it. And there's plenty of gags. I recommend 'The Eye Doesn't Lie' or 'Gentle & Soft: The Story of the Blue Jean Committee'.

kidsick5000

Quote from: neveragain on April 09, 2019, 06:41:31 PM

Bowling and jazz man both had their moments, particularly Michael C. Hall's end speech in the former.

That was glorious.

But overall... I really miss Bill Hader.
More of him could have made the difference for the jazz episode.

cliggg

Quote from: neveragain on April 10, 2019, 12:09:57 PM
I don't know most of them and have still enjoyed the series. After looking up the source documentaries there's a whole other level to appreciate (with shots and stylistic choices being recreated/parodied).

A lot of the time (especially in the first two seasons), it's the characters that make it. And there's plenty of gags. I recommend 'The Eye Doesn't Lie' or 'Gentle & Soft: The Story of the Blue Jean Committee'.

Cheers, I'll give it a go!