Author Topic: Midsommar  (Read 421 times)

St_Eddie

Midsommar
« on: March 06, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »
From the Hereditary thread, comes this trailer for the new film from writer-director, Ari Aster...

dunno if this deserves a new thread:

trailer for his next film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0UWIya-O0s

looks promising

I didn't care for Hereditary much myself but none the less, it was an interesting film and the trailer for this looks promising.  I dig the cinematography; it has a very dreamlike quality to it and somewhat reminds me of Ben Wheatley's High-Rise (of course, the cinematography in Hereditary was outstanding too, which makes sense given that the cinematographer for Hereditary also worked on Midsommar).  I'm also picking up on a strong The Wicker Man vibe from it, which is never a bad thing (unless it's the remake that's being referred to, of course).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• He's the one with the flying feet
Re: Midsommar
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 04:01:16 PM »
Midsommar Murders

Glebe

• So here we are, then.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:19:40 PM »
Keen to see it.

TwinPeaks

• didn't choose a very distinctive username did i
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
I really like the white bars framing the trailer
I need to get round to watching Hereditary, it's on Prime now

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »
I really like the white bars framing the trailer

Someone in the comments (who purports to have worked in the editing team) reckons the white bars are also in the theatrical release, but I'd probably take that with a pinch of salt. It looks bad enough with YouTube's Dark Theme enabled, so it must look fucking awful in a darkened cinema. Perhaps they're planning to install floodlights in every auditorium?

Wet Blanket

• I am the Colour Blind Dog-Thief
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »
Hereditary had some pretty flashy visual touches, I can definitely see Ari Aster being the type of director to add white bars to his film as a flourish, although why I don't know.

I didn't think Hereditary was all that but I liked it enough to be interested in seeing this.

TwinPeaks

• didn't choose a very distinctive username did i
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 03:49:33 PM »
I think it makes it unsettlingly ethereal. Beautiful looking film, all oppressive whites and golds. I didn't think they'd do it in the cinema though, that's interesting. Makes me think, should every film be watched in a darkened room? This might be better in the Fortress of Solitude

St_Eddie

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 05:41:24 PM »
Makes me think, should every film be watched in a darkened room?

No.  Most films are best viewed in the living room during a Summer afternoon, curtains open, with the sun glaring upon the TV screen and kids noisily kicking a football around outside.  Fact.

MiddleRabbit

• Whatever it is you're selling, I don't want it.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 12:41:22 PM »
Do you think he might have seen 'The Wicker Man'?

St_Eddie

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 02:19:32 PM »
Do you think he might have seen 'The Wicker Man'?

Any resemblance to The Wicker Man is purely coincidental.  At least that's what the blurb at the end of the credits is likely to say.