Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:06:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Midsommar

Started by St_Eddie, March 06, 2019, 03:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poobum

Why'd he go feet first any way? He's part of a culture that has leapy off cliffy as one of its major tenets. Surely it's basic stuff. He should have observed the technique of the lady, face first, smash yer head like an egg. Right turned herself into a NPC from an unpatched Ubisoft game.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Poobum on February 08, 2020, 10:47:24 PM
Why'd he go feet first any way? He's part of a culture that has leapy off cliffy as one of its major tenets. Surely it's basic stuff. He should have observed the technique of the lady, face first, smash yer head like an egg. Right turned herself into a NPC from an unpatched Ubisoft game.

He was following the instruction from the inbred kid's drawing.

I thought it was a great film, and about being wary of blindly following and, specifically, copying idiots, myself.

Glebe

This is on Amazon Prime now, watched it again on me tablet today... I actually think I enjoyed it more the second time around, it really is an unsettling gem. Beautiful, sinister score too.

Pseudopath

Incredible movie. It's haunted me ever since I watched it and I'm obsessed by the soundtrack. Well worth watching the Director's Cut if you can find it.

Kryton

Just watched this. Absolutely loved it.

Didn't consider it Anti-Swedish in the slightest, more so people deliberately chosen and taken out of their comfort zone.

Some really disturbing imagery, that chap with flowers in his eyes. Fuck me.
Some funny bits.
The trippy stuff was great too, done just about right.

Yeah, best representation of hallucinogenics in a film, I reckon.
The very subtle distortions, that panicky feeling of the universe suddenly but only slightly tilting on it's reality axis and becoming instantly strange and menacing.

That bit where she's had a light dose and is more used to it and is dancing around and her heart rate is up and she's happy and connecting. So good.

I'm guessing I was sort of supposed to hate all the students, but I really did, so the bit in the middle was hard going.

That bit where
Spoiler alert
all of the other girls are mirroring her exactly, I really liked that, it's like all sorts of medication and psychotherapy boiled down to their basic ingredients, robotic empty empathy, but at least you're connecting and bouncing off other humans.
[close]

Burn your ex, wear a floral headdress, what's not to like? Sign me up!

Sin Agog

I appreciate their attempt at a change of pace and everything, but this episode was much darker than I'm used to when I turn on The Good Place.

Not exactly an opposite opinion to the anti-Swedish problem discussed but I think I would have preferred the American students - especially the boyfriend - to be less alarmingly deserving of punishment.

Wet Blanket

I thought the boyfriend was a little too undeserving of what came to him. She really did a number on him for being a bit of an emotionally unavailable wet lettuce

Poobum

Maybe it's my admittedly illiterate reading of it, but I took from it a really bizarre happy ending where someone alienated, traumatized and surrounded by morally weak and directionless people finding a firm place in a group with a strong and defined identity. It kind of parallels to me people drifting along in an ever disconnected world, finding their group, with acceptance and a sense of direction, regardless of how abhorrent that group's ideals are, or how they act to outsiders (alt-righters etc). She was taken from a world of grey confusion, where the human cost of the mechanisms of society's workings are obfuscated and ingrained like an oppressive miasma just lurking forever beyond vision whispering its injustices in your mind, and found a place that was bright and wore it's darker aspect in a clear and understandable way. It's not easy to just dismiss the cult as depraved, as they reflect a pre-industrial, pre-roman pagan society that would have been brutal, but would have had a simple re-assuring order to it. (this is supposition obv. I have no idea what the existential angst an average Cherusci or Chatti went through, but I think its a common cultural assumption that things were just simpler back then).

I don't think that's an illiterate reading and I'm glad you wrote it. I've deleted a longer reply that didn't manage to express what I wanted to and generalised about cults.

BlodwynPig

It was a lovely little film. Something Jodorowsky about those clifftop suicides and then bleached blissed out madness thereafter.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 28, 2020, 03:37:13 PM
I thought the boyfriend was a little too undeserving of what came to him. She really did a number on him for being a bit of an emotionally unavailable wet lettuce

I agree, it creeps me out a little when people say things like "Good! He got what he deserved!" This is a college student who perhaps bit off more than he could chew with an emotional partner, whose resolution to end it is hampered by a sudden tragedy in her life. Then he's ultimately punished for cheating on her, even though it's quite clear that he's not exactly in control of his decisions by that point.

I understand it's all symbolic more than anything else, but I think some people are cheering it on regardless - perhaps if they too have been cheated on by a bargain bucket Chris Pratt.

Crabwalk

He got what he deserved in the heightened, cathartic context of a horror film.

Don't forget he was also a conniving plagiarist.

Pseudopath

This is honestly one of my favourite films of all time. I was mesmerised by it and don't think it's ever truly got out from under my skin.

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on May 28, 2020, 01:17:07 PM
Not exactly an opposite opinion to the anti-Swedish problem discussed but I think I would have preferred the American students - especially the boyfriend - to be less alarmingly deserving of punishment.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 28, 2020, 03:37:13 PM

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 28, 2020, 09:44:18 PM
I agree, it creeps me out a little when people say things like "Good! He got what he deserved!"

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 28, 2020, 09:54:31 PM
He got what he deserved in the heightened, cathartic context of a horror film.

Don't forget he was also a conniving plagiarist.

I unfortunately made the ambiguous comment that prompted this, which I meant in the way that Crabwalk put it. I don't think - judged as a real person - that Christian deserved what happened to him. I think that some of his behaviour, among other things - the lack of strong or loveable characters being prominently tormented, or children being ultimately thrown into the water - makes Dani's journey into the bosom of the cult more palatable.