Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Uncensored swearing in mainstream radio hits

Started by Captain Z, March 06, 2019, 10:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 07, 2019, 11:08:29 AM
Didn't the uncensored version of Killing In The Name Of get played on the Radio 1 chart show when it re-entered the charts around Christmas 2009?

No, but the band played it live with the understanding that they wouldn't perform the deadly bit and the end (we pwomise) and then played it properly with glee writ large across their brilliant faces. The best boys of all time. Watch it, it's on Youtube.

Jockice

The original single version of Wet Wet Wet's Temptation contains the word 'fucking' you know.

Bennett Brauer

Michael Jackson singing "Be a tit, be a tit". I'm thinking of complaining about him.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Jockice on March 07, 2019, 03:18:17 PM
The original single version of Wet Wet Wet's Temptation contains the word 'fucking' you know.

Sadly, on their greatest hits, they use the radio friendly version.

Jockice

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 07, 2019, 05:14:27 PM
Sadly, on their greatest hits, they use the radio friendly version.

The cowards.

Some thought Beat Surrender, by the Jam, had a rude word in.

They were wrong.  It was a line about a chief plumber, advising a confused assistant: 'that ballcock's a ballcock, just goes by a different name.'

The Culture Bunker

Pretty sure I've heard a version of "Beat Surrender" (maybe from TotP?) where he sings "bullfrogs are bullfrogs".

Uncle TechTip

Unbelievable had that sample "Yo! What the fuck" and I don't think anyone picked up on it for years.

On original release of Killing In The Name in 1993, Bruno Brookes played it in the top 40 and several fuck yous made it to air before he apologetically faded it down. Seems that he nor anyone in his production team listened to it before broadcast. There was no radio edit to my knowledge.

Pete23

Always thought "Just Like Paradise" by Dave Lee Roth starts "Ffffffuckin' steady in her Daddy's car". Otherwise why bother?

Chriddof

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 07, 2019, 05:43:28 PM
On original release of Killing In The Name in 1993, Bruno Brookes played it in the top 40 and several fuck yous made it to air before he apologetically faded it down. Seems that he nor anyone in his production team listened to it before broadcast. There was no radio edit to my knowledge.

It didn't even get faded down, it got played to the end because he was busy recording a trail while it went out. Here's the audio:

https://youtu.be/WNKtG--3O1E?t=79

(Starts at 1 min 19 seconds in, there's a load of pointless text-to-speech padding before it)

Chriddof

Quote from: Glyn on March 07, 2019, 02:43:33 PM
The radio edit of Motorcycle Emptiness keeps in the line 'this hapiness corrupt political shit' but to be fair the chances of  correctly interpreting early James Dean Bradfield phrasing are rather low

And on top of that he doesn't sing the final syllable of "shit", so it comes out as "happiness corrupt political shee-ee-eaah". Which reminds me of Captain Sensible's sort of similar deliberate mangling of "cunt" in his cover of Happy Talk.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Chriddof on March 07, 2019, 06:00:31 PM
It didn't even get faded down, it got played to the end because he was busy recording a trail while it went out. Here's the audio:

https://youtu.be/WNKtG--3O1E?t=79

(Starts at 1 min 19 seconds in, there's a load of pointless text-to-speech padding before it)

How did he manage to not even sound like he'd noticed as he did the link between the end of RATM and the next track? Surely he'd have needed to have kept half an ear out just to know when to talk, unless it was pre-recorded (was equipment clever enough to automatically drop a link between two tracks back then?).

SteveDave

Quote from: Chriddof on March 07, 2019, 10:38:04 PM
Which reminds me of Captain Sensible's sort of similar deliberate mangling of "cunt" in his cover of Happy Talk.

I remember going "What did he just sing?" when I saw this on TOTP2 one Saturday afternoon in the early 90s. I swear the final "t" gets flicked out after a long "cunnnnnnnnnnn" though.

Has the sweary version of Dexys' 'Dance Stance' ever been played on radio?

kidsick5000

Probably just me, but the first time I heard  Born Slippy, I did not think they were shouting 'Mega Mega White Thing'.

boki

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 08, 2019, 04:09:29 PM
Probably just me, but the first time I heard  Born Slippy, I did not think they were shouting 'Mega Mega White Thing'.
Nah I thought that, too, along with a couple of mates.  Maybe we're all just a little bit racist deep down.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 08, 2019, 12:36:00 AM
How did he manage to not even sound like he'd noticed as he did the link between the end of RATM and the next track? Surely he'd have needed to have kept half an ear out just to know when to talk, unless it was pre-recorded (was equipment clever enough to automatically drop a link between two tracks back then?).
The chart show is very tightly scripted, with the playback timing of the track strictly controlled. It's usually the producer's job to record the needle time and cue the DJ as to when the track is ending (unless it was on a CD in that era, as the CD player's display would be counting down to the end of the track).

There's a video of Jakki Brambles doing her show a couple of years before showing how the studio works here (note the BBC standard desk, where the faders move down rather than up, like everybody else uses). Opening a fader for a turntable or CD player auto-starts it from the position it's been cued. If it's not a record they like they usually don't even have their mix monitoring fader turned up (and I can well imagine Brookes wouldn't be listening to RATM).

It was really more the fault of his producer, who should have picked the correct track to cue on the CD or turntable, and should have been listening to the broadcast feed even if Brookes wasn't. It they were recording a trail while it was playing they picked the worst possible time to do it.

Sebastian Cobb

Cheers Buzby.

I always thought cueing was the dj's job.

I remember cd's countdowns being notoriously unreliable, much like turntable speed it regularly fucked Peel over.

studpuppet

Surprised to discover just now that 'Back to Black' starts with:

He left no time to regret
Kept his dick wet

Captain Z

Quote from: SteveDave on March 08, 2019, 09:19:11 AM
I remember going "What did he just sing?" when I saw this on TOTP2 one Saturday afternoon in the early 90s. I swear the final "t" gets flicked out after a long "cunnnnnnnnnnn" though.

This one is incredible, did anything happen at the time? Can't see many YouTube comments mentioning it either so it seems like it passed most people by.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 08, 2019, 10:47:27 PM
Cheers Buzby.

I always thought cueing was the dj's job.

I remember cd's countdowns being notoriously unreliable, much like turntable speed it regularly fucked Peel over.
Cueing the record or CD is usually the DJ's job, bur on the chart show the producer follows the cue sheet and tells the DJ when to fade in and out of each track to keep everything running to schedule.

The CD singles used by radio stations usually were specifically-pressed promos or CDRs (sometimes with just the A side on them) that had accurate track timings and truncated fadeouts. JP rarely ever played anything that would have been provided by a record label plugger, so track timings from badly mastered demo and indie CDs would have been a potential pitfall for him. It's not hard to imagine him getting carried away listening to something he liked and missing the cue either.

buzby

Quote from: Captain Z on March 08, 2019, 11:06:08 PM
This one is incredible, did anything happen at the time? Can't see many YouTube comments mentioning it either so it seems like it passed most people by.

I think you are both hearing what you want to hear. The Captain quite clearly says 'Golly baby I'm a lucky cuuuuuss' (iwith no 'nt' on the end), which is Rodgers' original lyric. The TOTP playback is using the record too, not a MU-enforced re-recording. Do you really think they would not have noticed someone saying 'cunt' every time  the record had been played on the radio, never mind before asking him to appear on TOTP?

Gulftastic

In 'Shocked', one of Kylie's early nineties belters, there was a lot of rumour that she is singing 'I was fucked to my very foundations'.

Chriddof

Quote from: buzby on March 08, 2019, 11:23:33 PM
The Captain quite clearly says 'Golly baby I'm a lucky cuuuuuss' (iwith no 'nt' on the end), which is Rodgers' original lyric.

I meant to mention the "cussssss" thing in my original post - that was what I meant by what I thought was the mangled swearword, a la that Manic Street Preachers single. I didn't realise that was the original lyric and assumed he'd changed that one line slightly.

I was sure Gripper's mate, Denny, in Grange Hill, once used that word to Gripper.  I had cassette-recorded the story (we didn't have a video, back then, circa '82) and I kept playing the moment back.  Every time, I'm sure that was said.  If so, it must have been edited in by someone in the production room, as it would no way either be in the script or ad-libbed.

Jockice

I thought it was 'golly baby, I'm a fucking cuss.'

Quote from: Jockice on March 09, 2019, 11:31:37 AM
I thought it was 'golly baby, I'm a fucking cuss.'

I doubt Denny ever called Gripper, 'baby'.

Jockice