Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:26:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Derry Girls 2

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2019, 09:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

No thread. Pure misogyny. Anyway this crap's back.

Jerzy Bondov

ajsmith2

Total nitpicking, but it kind of annoyed me in the intro where Erin was being accused of pretending she was on Parkinson, since Parkinson was off tv for most of the 90s, only coming back in 1998 after a 17 year absence. Sure no reason why Orla couldn't accuse her of that but it missed the mark as a 'contemporary' reference.

In general the show seems set in a vaguely generic 90s. maybe skewing 94 ish? so anything that smacks of being too late in the decade niggles a bit.

Anyway sorry that's just the kind of nerdy point missing dissection this forum is all about, so I'll just add it was nice to see Erin kind of win at the end for once, or at least get the last smile.

The time setting is slightly mixed, as in one scene they were talking about Hugh Grant and Divine Brown being arrested, which was in June 1995, whereas the broadcasting ban on Sinn Fein, where an actor had to dub Gerry Adams for TV interviews, is apparently still current, although that actually ended in September 1994.

I could say the editing was clumsy in the blackboard scene, with it being entirely filled after only about five suggestions had been shouted out, but I'm not going to say that, because I'm just glad to see something positive on TV about Derry.

chrispmartha

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 07, 2019, 01:32:54 PM
I could say the editing was clumsy in the blackboard scene, with it being entirely filled after only about five suggestions had been shouted out, but I'm not going to say that, because I'm just glad to see something positive on TV about Derry.

Wasn't that the joke? I took it that way anyway.

I really liked series one but this first episode felt like a massive step up - like they've finally got the gags to match the performances. Sublime.

hummingofevil

This second episode is excellent. We had similar teacher in primary school who, coincidentally caused a massive kick off by allowing girls to wear mustard culottes rather than a grey skirts in my first experience of feminist non-conformity . Weird.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 07, 2019, 01:32:54 PM
I could say the editing was clumsy in the blackboard scene, with it being entirely filled after only about five suggestions had been shouted out

Passage of time?

Former

It's amusing. The music is good, and I'd do all of them. Win win win.

magval

Don't like this.

Here's my main beef - every script feels like a first draft. No line feels like it's had a second pass. When characters aren't reading gag lines they speak mostly in cliches.

Secondly, can't abide the wee fat one at all. She's a fucking sickener.

Thirdly, the establishing shot of them on top of the mountain in last week's episode had a fucking eagle's cry in it. Fuck off. There are no eagles in this country. Are there eagles in this continent even?

Novelty goes a long way though. People must really miss The Inbetweeners. (That's my snappy put-down of it: pull me aside in work for the more impassioned deconstruction).

(caveat - I hate slagging things off but every fucker at work is foaming over this and no cunt's seen Young Offenders, which is much better)

Quote from: magval on March 20, 2019, 03:47:28 PM
Thirdly, the establishing shot of them on top of the mountain in last week's episode had a fucking eagle's cry in it. Fuck off. There are no eagles in this country. Are there eagles in this continent even?

Is this some kind of satire on the more pedantic 'that wouldn't happen' comments in the Alan Partrudge thread?  Strangest reason I've ever heard for not liking a sitcom.

More to the point; what on earth are you on about? There are at least some eagles in Ireland, and breeding population of golden eagles and sea eagles in Scotland and many other European countries.

This week's one was the best yet. The parents are funnier than the Girls.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on March 08, 2019, 10:19:04 AM
I really liked series one but this first episode felt like a massive step up - like they've finally got the gags to match the performances. Sublime.

Yeah definitely, the  first two episodes of the new series have absolutely flown by. The performances from all the girls are even better than in the first series, and even the boy gets a few funny lines now - him trying to be a geezer in the second episode was great, hopefully he gets more to do because I assumed after the first series that he was just a rubbish, uninteresting actor but it seems like it's just that he was only there as a punchline.

hummingofevil

I just really love it. It's a bit broad at times but the thing that tips it over for me is that I just find all but 2-3 of the cast just funny presences. They don't even have to do much to make me giggle. I WANT to laugh at it so often do. It's the exact opposite of The Inbetweener where I hate everyone in it (the actors as much as the characters too) so it has to be really funny to actually make me laugh.

I can't find it now but there was a good interview with Saoirse who plays Erin where she talks about how they discussed the importance of pulling faces in comedy and how that contrasts with the selfie culture of always having to show of your best angle and most women in their 20s would be mortified to show off their double chins. Thought it was an interesting point as a lot of the charm and humour in this comes from her reaction shots so it's nice to know that it is intentional and a bit of thought gone into it.

I thought the gypsy, sorry travellers, sorry it's-fine-to-say-gypsy stuff was very well done too. Made me giggle anyway.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 22, 2019, 03:50:24 PMI can't find it now but there was a good interview with Saoirse who plays Erin where she talks about how they discussed the importance of pulling faces in comedy and how that contrasts with the selfie culture of always having to show of your best angle and most women in their 20s would be mortified to show off their double chins. Thought it was an interesting point as a lot of the charm and humour in this comes from her reaction shots so it's nice to know that it is intentional and a bit of thought gone into it.
Her face pulling is the best thing about this very good show for me. I love her pomposity. Like a little Rik.

hummingofevil

I think grandad is the weakest link it (not the performance just the way he is written) but I do love the fact that they keep teasing his back story. My guess is every Catholic at that age will have stories about the British (he is the only character in it to have been old enough to have lived through Bloody Sunday for example) but are we to be wondering whether he was more closely involved with the resistance than he lets on. There was the marching season episode where he lectured Gerry, shouted at the Orange Men and then offered to drive the Provo over the border and then in the last episode where he seemed more than happy to get the gun out.

That is actually partly one of my issues with him though. Maybe I'm being naive but would he not love the fact that his daughter married a man from the republic. Would that not be a source of pride? Or is it just like anywhere else that he is an outsider because he is not from their part of Derry (or simply it could be disapproving of anyone who married his daughter).

Am I reading too much into it?

hummingofevil

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 22, 2019, 03:58:30 PM
Her face pulling is the best thing about this very good show for me. I love her pomposity. Like a little Rik.

*whispers

"I feel that the subtlety of my poetry has been lost on you".

VelourSpirit

'I like James but I like Take That more'
Somehow just the tiniest hint of platonic affection for James felt like quite a sweet moment
Everyone in this is perfectly cast, I really love it too.

McFlymo

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 22, 2019, 03:58:51 PM
Maybe I'm being naive but would he not love the fact that his daughter married a man from the republic. Would that not be a source of pride? Or is it just like anywhere else that he is an outsider because he is not from their part of Derry (or simply it could be disapproving of anyone who married his daughter).

Am I reading too much into it?

This is one of the funny ironies about N.Ireland (at least in my experience) I grew up with Catholic kids and all the talk of Republicanism when we were old enough to understand it a bit more, yet there's no end of hatred and distrust for "Culchies" (people from the Republic), it's as if there's a bit of jealousy, for the people from the Republic of Ireland, as they're more "officially" Irish or something. So actually, it's pretty spot on that the granda hates the southerner!! I do find his hate of his son-in-law funny, even if that isn't the reason behind it, but I'd really love the son-in-law to get his own back / revenge (was there maybe a hint that that could be coming, in episode 3?)

Seagullsim

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 22, 2019, 03:50:24 PM
I thought the gypsy, sorry travellers, sorry it's-fine-to-say-gypsy stuff was very well done too. Made me giggle anyway.

I thought the lead gypsy was one of the worst actors i've ever seen on a tv screen.

Loving the show though - hard to believe the girls are in their 20's and 30's.

JesuitWrangler

I'm from Derry, I like watching it because it reminds me of my childhood but it's pretty shite.

So broad, so many poor performances and just simply bland scripting. Very little quality in terms of actual jokes as well.

Still! Gives me a proper nostalgic trip every time I watch it so I'm happy enough to keep at it. I have no idea why anyone else would watch it though.

hummingofevil

Quote from: McFlymo on March 22, 2019, 08:32:07 PM
This is one of the funny ironies about N.Ireland (at least in my experience) I grew up with Catholic kids and all the talk of Republicanism when we were old enough to understand it a bit more, yet there's no end of hatred and distrust for "Culchies" (people from the Republic), it's as if there's a bit of jealousy, for the people from the Republic of Ireland, as they're more "officially" Irish or something. So actually, it's pretty spot on that the granda hates the southerner!! I do find his hate of his son-in-law funny, even if that isn't the reason behind it, but I'd really love the son-in-law to get his own back / revenge (was there maybe a hint that that could be coming, in episode 3?)

Brilliant cheers. I thought there was something in it and that makes sense now.

My point about the traveller bit was it was very much a take from their point of view. We've had the girls tell us that the Protestants "hate them so much" and barely consider Catholics human so to see them being judgemental about gypsys was a nice touch I thought. A bit like how Chris Rock can turn the truth in on black culture after getting an audience on side.

I've no idea how non-traveller Irish perceive the traveller community but it was an interesting thing to put in I thought.