Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great ends to movies

Started by kalowski, March 07, 2019, 11:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I guess this thread will be full of spoilers.

I've just rewatched The Taking of Pelham 123.

*Sneezes*
"Gezundheit"
Door opens slowly.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I watched Time Bandits with my friends and their kids earlier. The kids didn't like the end, but what do they know?

St_Eddie

"Murphy."

[smiles]

ROBOCOP

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 07, 2019, 11:09:17 PM
I watched Time Bandits with my friends and their kids earlier. The kids didn't like the end, but what do they know?

Great ending.  Proper bleak but with an uplifting and catchy song played over the credits to raise your spirits.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's the way Connery just cheerfully leaves the scene that really makes it.

St_Eddie

When Columbo tells Wonder Years "as you wish".

Custard

pigamus

Custard

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 07, 2019, 11:19:08 PM
"Murphy."

[smiles]

ROBOCOP

That would've only been better if it'd done a freezeframe of his smiling face, with his thumb up. That lasted 3 minutes

ROBOCOP

St_Eddie

Custard

The end of Sightseers made me belly laff for ages. It's so sudden and brutal. I can't think of a way you could end that film any better

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 07, 2019, 11:44:57 PM
The end of Sightseers made me belly laff for ages. It's so sudden and brutal. I can't think of a way you could end that film any better

I hated that film when I first saw it, ending and all, mostly because I just found it to be so horribly mean spirited.  After a couple of rewatches, I now really like the film, ending and all, mostly because it's so horribly mean spirited.

Custard

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 07, 2019, 11:52:18 PM
I hated that film when I first saw it, ending and all, mostly because I just found it to be horribly mean spirited.  After a couple of rewatches, I now really like the film, ending and all, mostly because it's so horribly mean spirited.

It was the first film I watched with Mrs Custard, when we met 5 years ago. She hated it so much, I seriously thought it'd put a dent in our blossoming relationship

My favourite bit of the film (apart from the ending) is them shagging, and her face is down in a bowl of pot pourri. Once for the desolation thread

ToneLa

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

Absorb the anus burn

The Birds.

Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (1978 version)

Three Colour's Red.

St_Eddie

The Shining because all these years later, I'm still undecided on what the photo at the end means.  I change my interpretation of that ending (and other events throughout the story) every time that I rewatch it and that quality of having almost limitless potential interpretations is kind of a great thing for a film to possess.

mojo filters

Mighty Aphrodite has a quirky, slightly unexpected, yet rather pleasing denouement.

BlodwynPig

Planet of The Apes - amazing that the reveal is that Heston is on Mars all along.

DukeDeMondo

Last Temptation Of Christ.

Perfect ending. The look on Mark Cousins's face when Scorsese tells him halfway through that Scene By Scene he did with him that it was an accident, they literally just ran out of film. Poor Mark looks like his lungs have collapsed.

But of course that's a nonsense because if they wanted it to end any other way they would just have filmed it again. So it's not an "accident." It might have happened by accident, that they ran out of film, but it's not in the film by accident. It's in the film because it's perfect.

Sebastian Cobb

This was the story of Howard Beale. The first known instance of a man who was killed because he had lousy ratings.

ToneLa

Akira is pretty good when you think about it. A whole new universe is made, to swallow and contain the ever-swelling, suffering, insane baddie. An ending I have often seen paralleled in my romantic life

chveik

fucking ponderous

American Movie. The one moment in the film where Uncle Bill speaks for more than 3 seconds.
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 08, 2019, 01:16:33 AM
This was the story of Howard Beale. The first known instance of a man who was killed because he had lousy ratings.
Definitely. I love the cut to the TV bank. The one TV showing Beale's death, lost in a sea of other TVs showing adverts and talk shows and that. Then that TV too cuts to something else and Beale may as well be erased from existence. And then the credits immediately start. He dies, and then it's over in less than ten seconds. Can't think of good words to say about TV and news and using people as fodder for entertainment but the suddenness of the ending is chilling.

mojo filters

Game Change - Obama wins; McCain effectively tells Sarah Palin to fuck off in otherwise gracious defeat!

VelourSpirit

Before Sunset gave me the biggest smile

The Third Man

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 08, 2019, 01:16:20 AM
Last Temptation Of Christ.

Perfect ending. The look on Mark Cousins's face when Scorsese tells him halfway through that Scene By Scene he did with him that it was an accident, they literally just ran out of film. Poor Mark looks like his lungs have collapsed.

But of course that's a nonsense because if they wanted it to end any other way they would just have filmed it again. So it's not an "accident." It might have happened by accident, that they ran out of film, but it's not in the film by accident. It's in the film because it's perfect.

Reminds me of Wong Kar Wai admitting that the iconic ending to In the Mood for Love was supposed to be entirely different but they ran out of time and had to finish the movie before its scheduled premiere.

Mr Banlon

kalowski

An obvious one, but the end to Goodfellas is pretty much perfect.

rasta-spouse

MP's Holy Grail
Chinatown
Robin and Marian
The Graduate
Usual Supects (everything apart from the ending and Del Toro is pony)
The Sacrifice
The Chinese Boxer
Blood Simple (love how Frances McDormand becomes the protagonist briefly)

Icehaven

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 07, 2019, 11:09:17 PM

There is of course the possibly apocryphal story of a test screening of the film that went so badly that when they were asked to comment on what the best bit was a lot said "the end" as a joke but the execs thought it was genuine which is why Gilliam was allowed to leave it in. Not sure how much that is old Terry mythologising though