Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Great ends to movies

Started by kalowski, March 07, 2019, 11:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 08, 2019, 01:16:33 AM
This was the story of Howard Beale. The first known instance of a man who was killed because he had lousy ratings.

Yep

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

One of the best endings to any film ever is, of course, the original ending to top David Essex and Diane Keen- starring film Silver Dream Racef ( 1980 )

BlodwynPig

madhair60

magval

Quote from: madhair60 on March 08, 2019, 01:52:12 PM
Mortal Kombat mate

This isn't the Great entireties of movies thread

neveragain

Life of Brian. Bleak, funny and perfectly fitting.

Dr Strangelove. See above.

Mister Six

Blade Runner: Director's/Ultimate Cut

"Too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" (Shakeycam, door slams shut)

Perfect.

MattD

Withnail & I - tragic and foreboding. Local Hero - subtly devastating.

Both understated but beautiful.

Sebastian Cobb

Ah yeah, local hero's ending is so melancholy. So was Housekeeping.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 08, 2019, 04:02:30 AM
Reminds me of Wong Kar Wai admitting that the iconic ending to In the Mood for Love was supposed to be entirely different but they ran out of time and had to finish the movie before its scheduled premiere.

Also cf. If...'s change to black and white (depending on who you ask, but far from an artistic choice - they ran out of colour stock and couldn't afford any more so were reduced to pilfering black and white short ends from studio bins), and Blow-Up's enigmatic ending (confirmed by Ronan O'Casey - subject of all the photo fuss - as the production completely running out of money).

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 07, 2019, 11:38:33 PM
THE MIST

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 07, 2019, 11:41:26 PM
Ah, that's a great one.

There is an alternative school of thought which thinks the exact opposite.  I've mentioned several times in other threads about the first time me and Mrs Nose watched it.  I jokingly said "and then the army will appear".  Except they actually did.  We both looked at each other and laughed and said how shit it was and how badly it was done.  Not really the response it's supposed to get...

gilbertharding

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 08, 2019, 11:00:08 PM
Two Lane Blacktop.

There's a load of good road films with quality endings, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry and Vanishing Point are another couple.

A couple of years ago they had a festival of them in a local cinema, Blacktop, The Driver, Vanishing Point, Drive, Bullitt, and the French Connection. Great stuff.

Panbaams

Kelvin

Years ago, at college, I truthfully told my Media Studies class that I loved the ending of the Matthew Broderick Godzilla movie, because of the brilliant twist that an egg had survived.

That might be the stupidest thing I've ever said.

Quote from: Kelvin on March 09, 2019, 06:40:26 PM
Years ago, at college, I truthfully told my Media Studies class that I loved the ending of the Matthew Broderick Godzilla movie, because of the brilliant twist that an egg had survived.

Nah, I'm sure you've said something more stupid about wearing the dead skin of a Ghost Mario.

Ferris

The ending of Birdy is one of the best I've seen. Recommend.

samadriel

idunnosomename

it's less of a twist and more a predictable set up for a sequel that had to be cancelled

got the cartoon out of it though

St_Eddie

Gulftastic

Bad Ambassador

"Mr Rusk, you're not wearing your tie."

Brundle-Fly

Like the aforementioned Midnight Cowboy and Withnail And I, I similarly sob like a big baby to these other two endings.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 10, 2019, 07:15:23 PM

Surely that tacked-on final scene is one of the worst endings to a great movie?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 10, 2019, 09:37:25 PM
Surely that tacked-on final scene is one of the worst endings to a great movie?

The exposition dump has dated badly, though was necessary at the time.  However, the "she wouldn't even hurt a fly" monologue and skull cross-fade is magnificent, I think.