Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tetris 99 (Nintendo Switch)

Started by buntyman, March 07, 2019, 11:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

Quote from: Consignia on March 03, 2019, 05:42:18 PM
The online service has been pretty poor value for money; until recently. Tetris 99 is my new time sink. Worth the money just for that. I'm tempted to create a thread for it, but have little else to say other it's Tetris and awesome.

Got to agree with this - Tetris 99 is now my most played Switch game. I'm not amazing at it but it's a great game to just twiddle away at while listening to a podcast/radio/your partner telling you to tidy the house.

I see <a href="https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switchs-first-tetris-99-tournament-announ/1100-6465378/"> this weekend they have a competition called the Maximus Cup offering a cool $10 to the winners</a>. I won't get anywhere near the prize money but i'm sure I'll end up playing it an embarrassing number of hours anyway to reach the top million.

Anyway, here's a separate thread to post about records, luck, new updates and tactics. I still don't think I have a great handle on the directed attacks system and not sure how beneficial t-spinning is but keen to learn.

Mango Chimes

I was doing alright at this, getting into the top tens fairly regularly, handful of wins. Not sure whether 1.1 has fucked me, people are getting better, or I'm getting shitter, but it seems to have got harder recently.

Kelvin

Yeah, week one, I was always in top 50, often top 30, which was fine, considering I have no idea how to play Tetris outside of the very basics of creating lines... Now I can't even get top 50 anymore. I should probably watch/read a guide of how to play it properly.

Mango Chimes

I had a quick look on YouTube at some expert playing and as far as I can tell the trick is merely "be very fast and clear lots of lines".

The Event is live now and the report linked above is inaccurate – it's not the top 999 players, it's a draw which you enter by winning a match, and 999 players in the draw will get a prize. It doesn't matter how much you win, you just need to win once and you're in the running for a prize, which I like. Makes it feel more of a victory to win just one.

buntyman

The Nintendo website says you have to get as many wins as you can: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/play-in-the-tetris-99-maximus-cup-online-event

I'd prefer you to be right though as I've got one win and there are other things I could be doing with my day.

Consignia

Gah, like I need an excuse to play it anymore. Just had a second place there. I'm usually top ten, and have had a few firsts so reckon I'll be in with a shout.

BritishHobo

Quote from: buntyman on March 08, 2019, 09:28:13 PM
The Nintendo website says you have to get as many wins as you can: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/play-in-the-tetris-99-maximus-cup-online-event

I'd prefer you to be right though as I've got one win and there are other things I could be doing with my day.

Wonder if maybe you get another entry for every win, like getting your name put in a hat multiple times. So you'll have a higher chance, but anyone who's won even one will still get a chance too.

Mango Chimes

The rules might be different in other regions. The UK/EU ones are here: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns/TETRIS-99-Grand-Prix-Event-Details-1524262.html

Quote from: Winners & prizesOut of all participants that finish at least one match of Tetris® 99 in first position ("Tetris Maximus") during the event, 999 can win a prize of 999 My Nintendo Gold Points each, delivered to their Nintendo Account. The number of Tetris Maximus wins achieved has no influence on the chance of winning a prize. If more than 999 participants achieve a Tetris Maximus win, winners will be determined by random draw. If less than 999 participants achieve a Tetris Maximus win within the period, the number of winners will be reduced accordingly.

Consignia

Well that's me in the prize draw.

Consignia

I do think there's some sort of scaling BTW. Battles are more intense than they were at the start, so I think there's a matching based on your performance/level. If not, it damn well feels like there is.

BritishHobo

colacentral

Quote from: Consignia on March 09, 2019, 11:02:32 AM
I do think there's some sort of scaling BTW. Battles are more intense than they were at the start, so I think there's a matching based on your performance/level. If not, it damn well feels like there is.

I think it's just that the prize incentive has brought the better players out of the woodwork. I've been playing on and off in the last week and this weekend it's suddenly alot harder to get top ten.

Consignia

I was talking more in general, like my experience over the last few weeks. But yeah, it's certainly stepped up these last few hours.

Replies From View

Why was there never a Tetris 2019 back in the day?

buntyman

I got one of the 999 point prizes! Anyone else?

I've found the difficulty has been very unpredictable recently. Sometimes I log in and I get top 5 finishes every time, racking up 10+ KOs with ease. Other times I can't get more than 2 KOs and stuggle to finish in the top 20.

Mango Chimes

Yeah, I played it last night and struggled to stay in the top 50. Day before, top fives easily. How did it announce the prize? I was expecting a Splatfest style splash screen when I opened it, but it's like the event never existed.

Replies From View

Does Tetris 99 have a Flake in it?

buntyman

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 15, 2019, 01:57:56 PM
How did it announce the prize? I was expecting a Splatfest style splash screen when I opened it, but it's like the event never existed.

I just got an email

Consignia

Another chance at 999 Points this weekend. There goes my plans.

Consignia

And I'm now officially a professional gamer. 999 Nintendo Points for a bit of Tetris will do nicely, thanks.

buntyman

Congrats. Nothing for me this time. How many points did you finish on?

Consignia

Didn't play much , so only about 327. Got two wins in, which contributed most of it.

It's great though, I've got my colleagues into it, and they are cursing me for losing spare time.

Cloud

It's far too addictive.  And my brain seems to continue playing it afterwards :D

Only ever managed 3rd place so far though.  I'm no good once it gets speedy.  And I've had a run of those games where you just get battered with grey blocks constantly

buntyman

The Tetris DLC is crap. Ive enjoyed the main game so much that I bought it instantly without checking what was in it and all it is is a dull offline practice mode. Hopefully the next installment is a lot better

I'm alright with it. The bot mode is mostly pointless, but the marathon mode gives me a vanilla Tetris game on the Switch that doesn't have anime characters shrieking at me every time I clear lines which is all I've really wanted since I bought and got annoyed at Puyo Puyo Tetris.

The Game Boy theme Grand Prix has started now.

Even if you're total shite, you should get the skin reasonably quickly. Points are distributed thus;

1st = 100
2nd = 50
3rd = 30
4th - 10th = 20
11th - 30th = 10
31st - 50th = 7
51st - 90th = 4
91st - 99th = 1

Consignia

Whoop, got it. After a couple of disaterous 50+ finishes, just got a 1st place.

It really is cool the skin. Hits all the right nostalgic notes.

So sad to hear about the paedo subtext to this game :(

Splatoon theme weekend!! Get yourself 100 pts in the Grand Prix to permanently unlock a Splatoon skin for the game!!

There's been surprisingly little fanfare for this event so I'm ending all of my sentences with double exclamation marks and doing a little trumpet solo to drum up excitement!!

PARP!!