Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SHUT UP YA F... The Question Time thread

Started by Tombola, March 08, 2019, 12:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombola

Can anyone still stand to watch this? Just saw Raab get away with being being Raab and no-one scrutinising anything. Owen Jones (introduced as a Corbyn supporter) tried, but got about 1% of airtime.

Desolation TV

Absorb the anus burn

Blumf

Thought the audience wasn't as gammony as usual, which is a surprise for Dudley.

Buelligan

I used to really enjoy Question Time, it's fucking dire now.  Fiona Bruce is an awful simpering slot machine smirk, just gurning into the camera like it's a competition and virtually all of the questions are about Brexit on and fucking on.  Dull as fuck, depressing and irritating in equal measure and hardly ever any wit, just mealy-mouthed aggression, evasion and point-scoring.  I don't even bother watching any more.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on March 08, 2019, 12:39:53 AM
I used to really enjoy Question Time, it's fucking dire now.  Fiona Bruce is an awful simpering slot machine smirk, just gurning into the camera like it's a competition and virtually all of the questions are about Brexit on and fucking on.  Dull as fuck, depressing and irritating in equal measure and hardly ever any wit, just mealy-mouthed aggression, evasion and point-scoring.  I don't even bother watching any more.

Back in the day it was ok because you had some semblance of balance even if some nut job raised your blood pressure with their gloating barks. Now its just smug, hyper-self-aware barkers.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 08, 2019, 12:47:13 AM
Back in the day it was ok because you had some semblance of balance even if some nut job raised your blood pressure with their gloating barks. Now its just smug, hyper-self-aware barkers.

* claps approvingly *

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteNow its just smug, hyper-self-aware barkers.

I think you're confusing this with Wimbledon

Emma Raducanu

I used to watch it while my dad read a book with his fingers held to his ears. I used to wonder why he had no interest in political hot potatoes. Now I know why he hated it so much.

Icehaven

If it's shout-at-the-TV TV you're after, The Big Questions is a much better waste of an hour.

God I feel like Sam Woollaston now.

DrGreggles

Why any Labour MP would go on this is beyond me.

Petey Pate

Harry and Paul did a spot on parody of the show during the pre-Brexit era which is somewhat dated now but still hilariously contemptuous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tUqRBiMVo

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 08, 2019, 08:13:36 AM
I used to watch it while my dad read a book with his fingers held to his ears. I used to wonder why he had no interest in political hot potatoes. Now I know why he hated it so much.

How did he turn the pages?

And when did it become ok for the audience to barrack the panel so much. Whenever someone makes a comment (usually about a second referendum) the audience think it's ok to yell and boo. It wasn't usually like this; is it just a post-Brexit thing? Too many gammon, not enough weirdos. I love a good QT weirdo.

Cuellar

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 08, 2019, 09:53:09 AM

And when did it become ok for the audience to barrack the panel so much. Whenever someone makes a comment (usually about a second referendum) the audience think it's ok to yell and boo. It wasn't usually like this; is it just a post-Brexit thing? Too many gammon, not enough weirdos. I love a good QT weirdo.

That's what made me finally stop watching Question Time , the audience boo- ing panel members giving their opinion, as If they're fucking Norm MacDonald making a joke about Michael Jackson fucking his kids, or something. Daft cunts. You got a classier audience back in the Robin Day days.

Bryan Cocks

Always amusing to see absolutely every side claim they don't get a good enough airing and the BBC is biased to the other side and it's not like it used to be and the presenter is awful and zzzzzzz

Buelligan

Your point being? 

ETA: Oh, you edited.  Probably for the best, though still, what is your actual opinion of the programme?

This.  Especially the weirdo bit.  I'm sure the audiences used to be less mundane.

Icehaven

Is it just yet another of the several trillion and counting examples of how internet discussion has made a lot of people now feel that any and every opportunity to express an opinion is a free-for-all with zero expectation of civility?

Buelligan

It's quite interesting isn't it?  Essentially, we're the same people who used to tug our forelocks publicly and yet, now, all that seems to be gone (not that that's a bad thing, it's not).  But what has changed? 

I think, having given it a tiny bit more than bugger-all thought, it's probably because, in the olden days, people knew their place.  They were living in far more restricted times, their mobility (of every sort) was minuscule compared with people now and so rules of conduct could be and were, rigidly enforced and enforceable in every group they were part of. 

Nowadays, people migrate from one social space to another instantaneously and that changes the way peer pressure and authority can be exercised upon them. 

A good thing and a bad thing, a thing that will find its own level, hopefully.  That's what I reckon anyway you cunts.

I'd imagine two years of the right wing press and politicians branding anyone with an opposing viewpoint on Brexit as a traitor to their country and an enemy of democracy will do that to people. The anger is palpable, but also clearly parroted.

Oh, also;

[tag]What's a matter you, eh? Gotta no respect for the democratically expressed will of the British people?"[/tag]

hummingofevil

Also worth mentioning that when that rosy-cheeked cunt at the end claimed Tory racism is a slip of the tongue and the only real racists are black people then there should be no reason why they should cut the recording off. It is a pre-recorded show and whilst it obvious why there should be no actual editing of it they should let that overrun and cut out 5 minutes of Brillo pad. For something like that to go unchallenged is a disgrace.

I hated Fiona Bruce on the news. I hated her on Antiques Roadshow and I hate her on this. A smug smirking entitlement of a human being.

Captain Crunch

imitationleather

I'm not sure when this Golden Era was, because yeah it's shit now and all about Brexit every week. But a few years ago it was shit and all about Iraq every week.

Maybe in the Robin Day years when I was too young to watch it was interesting and about regional dairy farming issues and whatnot, I dunno.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 08, 2019, 11:28:49 AM
Also worth mentioning that when that rosy-cheeked cunt at the end claimed Tory racism is a slip of the tongue and the only real racists are black people then there should be no reason why they should cut the recording off. It is a pre-recorded show and whilst it obvious why there should be no actual editing of it they should let that overrun and cut out 5 minutes of Brillo pad. For something like that to go unchallenged is a disgrace.

I hated Fiona Bruce on the news. I hated her on Antiques Roadshow and I hate her on this. A smug smirking entitlement of a human being.

The sub-human Dando.

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: Buelligan on March 08, 2019, 10:34:34 AM
what is your actual opinion of the programme?

It's inconsequential (my opinion and the show). Something the vast majority of people don't watch, and those that do come to with their preformed ideas and Opinions, which aren't informed or challenged at any point during the duration of the show. It's something to watch for people who like to feel clued in, or for people to enjoy getting outraged, either over opinions they knew they'd disagree with before they started watching, or about people who they dislike for not being as clever or 'woke' as they are. Alternatively, it's a guilty pleasure for people who switch on quite aware of all that but secretly like to indulge in it anyway, even though none it matters a fuck.

Fambo Number Mive

I thought Dimbelby was a dreadful host of Question Time, I haven't made up my mind about Bruce yet. I think the programme would be better if it didn't have politicians on. Then you don't get the party political bickering. Not even sure if they should have media people on.

Bruce's tedious "Cox's codpiece. Now there's a thought" comment is even more crap than Dimbelby's waffling around. The programme should not be about the host who should only be moderating the discussion.

BlodwynPig

I think ITV have had some good female moderators in the past - in debate shows (usually Scottish). Completely neutral and blending into the background, but also firm and fair with the speakers. Of course, the BBC have been pandering to the meme generation for...a generation(?)...and they are not going to go back to the "staid formats" of old.