Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:51:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SHUT UP YA F... The Question Time thread

Started by Tombola, March 08, 2019, 12:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

They should come to the Fens. Plenty of space!

EDIT: Ignore that. They're already there.

BlodwynPig

I don't believe the INBRED YOKELS OF EAST ANGLIA are racist. They just have never experienced living beings West of Bury St Edmunds

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: pancreas on June 23, 2019, 11:24:31 AM
I just wait for momentum to post the reasonable bits on facebook.

Was it Pidcock that was a bit of a wanker when you were campaigning for the NE mayor?

pancreas

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 23, 2019, 01:49:43 PM
Was it Pidcock that was a bit of a wanker when you were campaigning for the NE mayor?

No...?

holyzombiejesus

Oh good. Thought you said a female Labour shadow minister was campaigning for someone other than the Momentum approved candidate and had been a bit of a cunt. Might be wrong though.

pancreas

Oh, you're thinking of Angela Rayner. Well she's on the right-wing of Unison, having been a Unison officer for yonks, and Unison was (completely undemocratically) supporting Nick Forbes so it's hardly a surprise that she was supporting him. The big unions are Aids. Unison seems to be the absolute pits.

holyzombiejesus

Ah, that's the one. I didn't know Unison were that bad, I thought they were pretty pro Corbyn. Our other option at work seems to be the GMB and they're definitely worse.

hermitical

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 23, 2019, 02:07:15 PM
Our other option at work seems to be the GMB and they're definitely worse.

Can I ask why? I'm thinking about joining a union and GMB are on my list.
There isn't a recognised union here and afaik no-one is a member of one.
I can't find a decent place to ask people about the various options.

pancreas

GMB are quite anti-Corbyn iirc. Their members stuff up all the CLP positions here and they seem to be intensely relaxed about outsourcing and privatisation.

If you don't have a recognised union then you can't strike as far as I understand. So you're looking for the union that would best represent you and join you in case of issues with management. Of the big unions, maybe Unite may be best? There are also much more effective smaller unions like the IWGB to consider.

Unison absolutely fucked over the teaching assistants in Durham. Basically refused to let them go on strike and then stopped replying to their messages. These sorts of stories you hear all the time. The officials in big unions often just want to take the subscriptions and have the easiest life possible, so they basically don't like activism.

Buelligan

Quote from: Jockice on June 23, 2019, 11:28:51 AM
So was Francesca Martinez the week before.

I hadn't watched it for a while and then saw that one, she was fantastic.  Nearly started a thread to say wasn't Francesca Martinez fantastic on QT, very glad someone else saw it and was impressed by her greatness.

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1139288950525349888

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: hermitical on June 23, 2019, 02:53:42 PM
Can I ask why? I'm thinking about joining a union and GMB are on my list.
There isn't a recognised union here and afaik no-one is a member of one.
I can't find a decent place to ask people about the various options.

GMB are pro-fracking and backed Owen Smith.

hermitical

Quote from: pancreas on June 23, 2019, 03:07:17 PM
GMB are quite anti-Corbyn iirc. Their members stuff up all the CLP positions here and they seem to be intensely relaxed about outsourcing and privatisation.

If you don't have a recognised union then you can't strike as far as I understand. So you're looking for the union that would best represent you and join you in case of issues with management. Of the big unions, maybe Unite may be best? There are also much more effective smaller unions like the IWGB to consider.

Unison absolutely fucked over the teaching assistants in Durham. Basically refused to let them go on strike and then stopped replying to their messages. These sorts of stories you hear all the time. The officials in big unions often just want to take the subscriptions and have the easiest life possible, so they basically don't like activism.
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 23, 2019, 03:58:33 PM
GMB are pro-fracking and backed Owen Smith.
Cheers....Unite and GMB were the major unions that would cover my sector, possibly at a stretch the BFAWU or USDAW.
The IWGB seems to have very specific sector branches rather than general? Could go old school for the IWW, maybe even dual card.

I guess a lot of it is down to luck on what the regional branch is like, but how do you know if you have no connections?

The other thing is that I don't have physical or mental capacity to try and organise at work so would hate to feel pressured to do so. There are some personal things with MD as well which would make it difficult

pancreas

People have a lot of good things to say about the Bakers' Union. I'm not really an expert on this... But Unite>GMB.