Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

fat Lydon rants and raves at punk panel

Started by the science eel, March 08, 2019, 12:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Captain Crunch

sevendaughters

think it is sort of brilliant actually, also notable by the absence of people like Penny Rimbaud

NoSleep

gilbertharding

I'll bet that Drunk John Lydon kicking off was the LAST thing they wanted.

Why do these things always look/sound as if someone is recording it on their phone?

It goes to prove the argument I heard AGES ago that West Coast American Punk is basically a contradiction in terms: these people are Hippies.

ToneLa

Why did he make a pointless allusion to Wire's fantastic debut album?

alan nagsworth

You know you're a stinking fucking embarrassment and a colossal bore when you've even got Henry Rollins the arrogant king of the mouthy gobshites squirming in his seat.

sevendaughters

whatever you think about the wider socio-economics and latter day outlook of SoCal punks, it is a matter of record that Black Flag were CIA-monitored and banned from several towns, they had the police following their footsteps in the early days as they lived hand to mouth playing approx. 65 shows in 63 days on some stretches of their tours. punk isn't a hard-guy square dance but if Lydon wants to take that route then his major label funded, well-patronised art project might not score such an easy win.

most US punks in my experience are either punk because they really want some kind of community outside of the corporate sphere or because they see it as a vehicle to enable radical individualism a la libertarianism. when those two strains meet, often in the same band, hilarity ensues.

the science eel

Lydon's "THIS. DAFT. CUNT" at 17:50 gave me a huge belly laugh, I have to admit.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: NoSleep on March 08, 2019, 09:53:38 AM
Old cunt. Sorry... Fucking old cunt.
Sorry... Fucking annoying, disrespectful, drunk, fat, boring old cunt.

Head Gardener

sorry but Johnny's right about that 2nd tier Ramone

Captain Crunch

Yeah you'd think a man of his money could afford a decent syrup. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Textface on March 08, 2019, 12:17:20 PM
Sorry... Fucking annoying, disrespectful, drunk, fat, boring old cunt.

Punk in 8 words

gilbertharding

BlodwynPig

gilbertharding

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 08, 2019, 02:30:28 PM
Sorry isn't Punk.

Maybe not, but I saw enough of the clip to know that Punk is sorry.

kngen

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 08, 2019, 11:18:32 AM
whatever you think about the wider socio-economics and latter day outlook of SoCal punks, it is a matter of record that Black Flag were CIA-monitored and banned from several towns, they had the police following their footsteps in the early days as they lived hand to mouth playing approx. 65 shows in 63 days on some stretches of their tours. punk isn't a hard-guy square dance but if Lydon wants to take that route then his major label funded, well-patronised art project might not score such an easy win.

most US punks in my experience are either punk because they really want some kind of community outside of the corporate sphere or because they see it as a vehicle to enable radical individualism a la libertarianism. when those two strains meet, often in the same band, hilarity ensues.

100% this. LAPD were at war with Black Flag etc, and shows often turned into riots after cops came to shut them down with very little restraint when it came to smacking people about and tear-gassing them. Malcolm McClaren's boy band swearing on local telly and church groups picketing their gigs is pretty gentle by comparison.

Marky Ramone had him absolutely clamped with his Richard Hell comeback, too. I like John Lydon for the most part, but this all-knowing, infallible punk godfather shtick is fucking weak.

Very sneaky of Legs McNeill to witness the Pistols invent punk then go back in time, start a zine of the same name and then not feature them until issue No 8.

"You know I love your tits" - John 'Oliver Reed' Lydon

kidsick5000

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on March 08, 2019, 03:32:09 PM
"You know I love your tits" - John 'Oliver Reed' Lydon

Funny you say that. This feels like the organisers did what producers desperate for a few column inches would forget that they left all that booze in the hospitality room.
"Oh no, Ollie's been at the booze? Oh no, does that mean he'll be AWFUL on camera? Oh no.... "

Either that, or Lydon, like a hoary old Sinden rolls up, "Don't worry my dear. I know what my public want...."

There was one DJ who said that when he got Lydon on his show, it was a delight before they went on air. Pure gent. As soon as the On Air sign went on, "£$@##∞!"

daf

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 08, 2019, 04:00:59 PM
There was one DJ who said that when he got Lydon on his show, it was a delight before they went on air. Pure gent. As soon as the On Air sign went on, "£$@##∞!"

Think that was Danny Baker - I seem to recall some klaxons going off at the torrent of live effing and jeffing.

"Come on John, you're talking to me now"

gilbertharding

I think I saw it at the time, but there's a great Juke Box Jury hosted by Neol Edmonds, with Fluff Freeman and Elaine Page on the panel with Rotten - but I can't remember if it seemed thrilling back then, or annoying. I was about 10 so I was probably confused, frightened and annoyed, in that order.

gilbertharding

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 08, 2019, 11:18:32 AM

I'll give 'em that. But it's all Revolt Into Style in the end.

gib

Quote from: kngen on March 08, 2019, 03:17:17 PMMarky Ramone had him absolutely clamped with his Richard Hell comeback, too.

Yep.

kidsick5000

Quote from: daf on March 08, 2019, 04:15:03 PM
Think that was Danny Baker - I seem to recall some klaxons going off at the torrent of live effing and jeffing.

"Come on John, you're talking to me now"

I seem to remember it being a younger chap, because he was recounting the shocking experience to someone else on the radio.

I wouldn't be surprised if Baker had similar but he usually shuts down swearing very swiftly, in some cases – Rory McGrath - stopping interviews early.

daf

Yeah, could well be another incident - he must do it all the time!

I think Baker cut straight to a five live advert (later recounting the "Come on John" bit happening off air during the break) & he was fine when they came back - after Baker told him he didn't need to do "the act" on his show.

Brundle-Fly

Donita from L7 is so cool. I thought they all had great restraint but the simmering rage in the Ramone fellow was priceless.

Lydon? Well, I usually defend him because he always makes for great TV but he pushes it these days. It's because he's so often completely Oliver Twist on camera. I actually believe we are watching a man falling apart now. Lydon clearly worships his wife and he is losing her.

the science eel

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 08, 2019, 05:17:35 PMI actually believe we are watching a man falling apart now. Lydon clearly worships his wife and he is losing her.

Exactly my thoughts.