Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

fat Lydon rants and raves at punk panel

Started by the science eel, March 08, 2019, 12:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 09, 2019, 06:37:48 PM
Townshend published his autobiography in 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_I_Am_(book)
You learn something every day. I thought he was still 'researching' it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jockice on March 09, 2019, 07:27:44 PM
You learn something every day. I thought he was still 'researching' it.

For what it's worth, I'm inclined to believe Townshend's version of events as recounted in his book. What he did was staggeringly stupid, but I don't think he's a nonce.

Anyway, sorry, thread derailment.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 09, 2019, 06:49:48 PM
Exactly. Millions of ITV viewers also watched him being funny and charming on I'm a Celebrity a few years ago, we all know he's a nice, sensitive bloke underneath all that tired posturing.

There is that recent outburst about Jeremy Corbyn onstage which makes him look a prize prat; and he's berating Mark Ramone for saying "fuck Trump". He truly is an old conservative cunt.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Probably, yes, but I was commenting on the point that everyone knows he slips into Johnny Rotten pantomime dame mode whenever a camera or microphone are pointed in his direction. He may well hold some stupid views in real life, but when he drops the performance shtick he appears to be quite a polite person underneath. 

NoSleep

I think he's in a permanent state of stage nerves when in the public eye. He's never been comfortable in those situations and overcompensates with the stary-eyed persona.

Noodle Lizard

Just caught up with this, but echo some of the sentiments on the first page.  If Lydon had been up there with members of Green Day or Blink-182 or whatever, he'd have had a point about how they hadn't truly "lived" the punk life or whatever, but he's up there with people who have worked in more precarious/dangerous scenes and for far longer.  And all of them continue to work fairly extensively.  Lydon married an heiress billionaire in his early 20s and did PiL after a year or two of Sex Pistoling — which was essentially a boyband which attained near-instant notoriety, capitalizing on the success of some of the other bands mentioned.  And any "values" he may have held have been systematically contradicted since then.

This carry-on - including just plain annoying rudeness - may have flown better if he'd done anything worth a fuck in the past 30 years.

Noodle Lizard

I checked out the bands Rollins recommended.  Terrible.

chveik

This is PIL isn't that bad, as far as reformation albums go obviously

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: NoSleep on March 09, 2019, 08:41:19 PM
There is that recent outburst about Jeremy Corbyn onstage which makes him look a prize prat; and he's berating Mark Ramone for saying "fuck Trump". He truly is an old conservative cunt.

I quite like him being the old contrarian when it comes to the 'Orange Man Bad' groupthink.

Won't go down well with those who carry the spirit of punk individuality though.

NoSleep

I have no doubt that he voted for Trump.

pupshaw

What I find really sad is how few people actually do believe him.

The book is really disappointing actually, some great bits about his childhood, but way too much about his boats and his houses.
I recall he was canvassing other peoples recollections of his life, he must have rinsed his brain so badly with brandy.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 09, 2019, 08:05:32 PM
For what it's worth, I'm inclined to believe Townshend's version of events as recounted in his book. What he did was staggeringly stupid, but I don't think he's a nonce.

Anyway, sorry, thread derailment.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: pupshaw on March 10, 2019, 04:08:50 PM
What I find really sad is how few people actually do believe him.

The book is really disappointing actually, some great bits about his childhood, but way too much about his boats and his houses.
I recall he was canvassing other peoples recollections of his life, he must have rinsed his brain so badly with brandy.

The last third of the book is him name dropping the film stars he's met.

Wasn't it cut down by about 2/3s? I guess the bits they cut described what it was like to play with the Who on stage, how he wrote songs, you know the interesting bits.

I don't think you could accuse Lydon of taking safe options in 1975-1977. He experienced at least one beating as a Pistol, and was a national hate figure.

His biggest failing, like Lennon, is thinking he's very intelligent when in fact his logic is usually very basic. And it is surely true that he would not have had a career with McClaren, a fact that must chew him up (ditto Lennon without Macca).

Johnboy

Wasn't it cut down by about 2/3s? I guess the bits they cut described what it was like to play with the Who on stage, how he wrote songs, you know the interesting bits.
[/quote]

Prime example of a book that can put you off its author instantly, see also Hugh Cornwell

absolutely no self awareness with either of them

Jockice

Quote from: Johnboy on March 10, 2019, 10:33:01 PM

Prime example of a book that can put you off its author instantly, see also Hugh Cornwell

High Cornwell's a cock anyway. The only interviewee I've ever had hang up on me. He seemed piqued that I hadn't memorised his entire tour schedule beforehand. Sorry Hugh but when you're playing Chicester or Cardiff is of very little interest to people reading a newspaper in Sheffield.

the science eel

Hugh Cornwell is the most boring man to ever walk the earth.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jockice on March 10, 2019, 11:32:13 PM
High Cornwell's a cock anyway. The only interviewee I've ever had hang up on me. He seemed piqued that I hadn't memorised his entire tour schedule beforehand. Sorry Hugh but when you're playing Chicester or Cardiff is of very little interest to people reading a newspaper in Sheffield.

....and Finchy *definitely* wouldn't have reacted like that to being told to fuck off.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 11, 2019, 09:05:04 AM
....and Finchy *definitely* wouldn't have reacted like that to being told to fuck off.

Are you perhaps suggesting I'm getting a bit repetitive here?

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 11, 2019, 09:05:04 AM

Are you perhaps suggesting I'm getting a bit repetitive here?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Jock, why don't you just fuck off?

*awaits reaction*

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 11, 2019, 09:31:41 AM
Jock, why don't you just fuck off?

*awaits reaction*

Looks shamefaced and doesn't say anything. Because that would actually happen in real life of course.

DrGreggles

I don't mind Lydon. He's clearly playing up to the crowd most of the time, but all of the people I know who've met him have said he's great company.
His autobiography is terrific fun too.

pupshaw

Quote from: Johnboy on March 10, 2019, 10:33:01 PM

But the sad thing is that Townshend can be a great prose writer. In 1974 a hybrid sheet music/band history book A Decade of the Who came out with some great insights and trivia about the songs. And the Story of Tommy book is good too, and the Quadrophenia album story, and the Quadrophenia box set notes.

That's why it's so disappointing he keeps going on about Rachel Fuller. Not interested.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: pupshaw on March 11, 2019, 09:40:27 AM
But the sad thing is that Townshend can be a great prose writer. In 1974 a hybrid sheet music/band history book A Decade of the Who came out with some great insights and trivia about the songs. And the Story of Tommy book is good too, and the Quadrophenia album story, and the Quadrophenia box set notes.

That's why it's so disappointing he keeps going on about Rachel Fuller. Not interested.

It's the fact he's an intelligent, thoughtful, too thoughtful really, writer before that made his Autobiography such as disappointment.

This youtube clip is better than 99.43% of the writing in the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s25n0kWkng

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: the science eel on March 11, 2019, 12:44:51 AM
Hugh Cornwell is the most boring man to ever walk the earth.

I could never work out how a group as unpleasant, wrong-un and nasty as the Stranglers could bland out so much. And so quickly too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldVSpU8P3jI&feature=youtu.be&t=801

JJ Raises his game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9dyFuA25uE

No, I would not like them to make me a sandwich.

pupshaw

The best Stranglers book I've read is No Mercy, from which I take away that Jet Black is my ultimate rock and roll hero.
Born in 1938, after a divorce and 35 years old give it just one more try. One bit that always stayed with me is how he
was able to feed the band holed up above his off-licence with whatever scraps were available and make a proper meal.

Genuinely surprised at what happened to Hugh. As Jet says in the book, "he suddenly got old" 

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 11, 2019, 10:29:57 PM
I could never work out how a group as unpleasant, wrong-un and nasty as the Stranglers could bland out so much. And so quickly too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldVSpU8P3jI&feature=youtu.be&t=801

JJ Raises his game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9dyFuA25uE

No, I would not like them to make me a sandwich.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 10, 2019, 04:14:41 AM
Lydon married an heiress billionaire in his early 20s

Nora Forster? Are you sure she is 'an heiress billionaire'? Was she ever?  That's not accurate, is it?

Didn't Cornwell, in the late-70s, wear a t-shirt on stage in the style of a Ford car logo-but saying 'fuck' instead?  Then the local authority sent observers to see if there was a repeat performance of this outrage, and Hugh had stage lights shone on them, then dedicated a track called 'Ugly' to them.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 11, 2019, 09:40:16 AM
I don't mind Lydon. He's clearly playing up to the crowd most of the time, but all of the people I know who've met him have said he's great company.
His autobiography is terrific fun too.

That reminds me that a "few" years ago, when working as a hack, I interviewed a group and were chatting about various things when Lydon came up. They mentioned that a couple of friends at a recording studio and after a session, Lydon swanned in with an entourage – their hearts sank as neither could stand him.

However, Lydon's companions dispersed pretty quickly and after they did, he came over to them and started chatting. They were rather wary, but as they chatted, he was mainly interested in hearing about them and their work– they ended up going for drinks, which ended up as a rather long session and although they tried paying for at least round, he wouldn't let them. According to the people I talked to, their friends found him very different to what they expected from the public persona and from then on, wouldn't hear a bad word against him.

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 12, 2019, 05:26:01 PM
Nora Forster? Are you sure she is 'an heiress billionaire'? Was she ever?  That's not accurate, is it?

No, not really accurate – bit of a hodge podge.

Nora was from a very wealthy family and did inherit a considerable amount of money when her father died (at that point, she and John had been married for several years). Although she could be – and usually is – called an heiress – there has been stuff out that, which isn't always accurate or could give a false impression. For example, I've read that it was her uncle that she inherited from, rather than her father; or that was a Rupert Murdoch type figure, which I suspect some interpreted to mean the same kind of wealth. With the latter, I know people who assumed that the father owned the all the publications that he published, but this wasn't the case – or at least all the time.

I take a pinch of salt with the figures that get bandied around, but my gut feeling is that tens of millions is/was more likely (which is the kind of sums that bandied around the most) rather than hundreds of millions.

Going from memory, but I'm almost entirely sure that Arianna was also one of the main beneficiaries when her grandfather died – have a feeling they were joint beneficiaries. It's kind of odd that while her mother invariably gets called a heiress, Ari never did... or maybe not so odd.