Author Topic: fat Lydon rants and raves at punk panel  (Read 3449 times)

Re: fat Lydon rants and raves at punk panel
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »
I miss Ari Up.  Saw her play with The Slits a couple of days before she died, and she was such an effervescent, pogoing, crowd-hugging ball of energy.  Didn't know hers and Lydon's families were connected (or maybe I did and forgot about it).

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2019, 10:16:21 PM »
Nora Forster? Are you sure she is ‘an heiress billionaire’? Was she ever?  That’s not accurate, is it?

Sorry, don't know where I remembered "billionaire" from.  But certainly wealthy enough:

It was during the Sex Pistols' short and ill fated era that Lydon met his future wife, Nora Forster, a publishing heiress from Germany, some 14 years his senior. The couple have been together for 27 years. Although some intimated that Lydon married his wife for her share in her family's £50 million publishing fortune (Lydon has made his own not inconsiderable fortune on the property market), it's an accusation that he brushes aside. 'It doesn't hurt me at all because I figure there is always bitterness from people, and I know I didn't marry Nora for her money. I'm committed to Nora and, in my eyes, when you make a commitment you stick to it. I'm lucky, I don't need a sham Hollywood marriage. Other people can treat it lightly, but I don't.'

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2019, 01:58:45 PM »
I miss Ari Up.  Saw her play with The Slits a couple of days before she died, and she was such an effervescent, pogoing, crowd-hugging ball of energy.  Didn't know hers and Lydon's families were connected (or maybe I did and forgot about it).

Ah, I’m very jealous of you!

Back to family matters, some years before Ari passed away, her sons went to live with John and Nora – about 20 years ago, I think.

In The Public Image Is Rotten documentary, there’s quite a touching scene where John talks about them and he mentions that his music work was on hold for several year to focus on raising the grandkids with Nora. This is also discussed in Anger is an Energy.

Previously, I had known that the children had been living with John and Nora, but hadn’t twigged that this affected his work – but with hindsight, it made a lot of sense.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »
Yeah I was reading about that yesterday. Apparently, according to Lydon, she'd been letting them roam free and as a consequence they couldn't read, write or talk in proper sentences? Disastrous modern parenting.

I also saw The Slits in 2009 (in glamorous Colchester!) and thought they were great. I didn't even know she was ill at the time. :(