Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:58:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

100 pages again, you know what's up

Currently ignoring the mania build tbh. Ronda vs Becky vs Charlotte seems like a sure thing to me but the story sounds needlessly convoluted... I expect it to right itself in the final week or two.

Do I give a shit about anything else in the lead in? Not sure I do, well done WWE!

ToneLa

Rousey has gone full Russo!

SmackDown is still better than Raw!

Steph will be guest referee at Mania!

Will Cena face Samoa Joe?

Will WrestleMania have a better set than the last time they did a Mania at the MetLife?

And will the Big Dog be booed against Corbin?

Timothy

Becky and Rousey should keep their fight off social media. They are both bad at it.

Disappointed that Truth lost the title on SD.

BeardFaceMan

That's the problem with Wrestlemania these days, all they care about is the spectacle, not the actual wrestling. Any 'special guests' or 'celebrities' been confirmed for this year yet?

Timothy

That's not entirely true. The matches that are announced so far are pretty good though.

Kofi VS Bryan
Rousey VS Becky VS Charlotte
Batista VS HHH

Deanjam

Yeah, Batista vs HHH is not a good match. It exists only so an old man can get a win back from 14 years ago.

ToneLa

AJ vs Orton should be pretty good, though I'm not bored of Orton and seem to continually bump into people who are

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: ToneLa on March 08, 2019, 11:13:53 AM
AJ vs Orton should be pretty good, though I'm not bored of Orton and seem to continually bump into people who are

If anyone can get an entertaining match out of Orton, it's AJ. But I'm not holding my breath.

up_the_hampipe

ToneLa

Not to me. Which I mentioned. Aaaah.

And Dave Meltzer, and other wrestlers. Funny one, Orton. I just wish he did a street urchin gimmick

Absorb the anus burn

<tag> This doesn't look good for Baron Corbin. <tag>

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: ToneLa on March 08, 2019, 11:46:50 AM
Not to me. Which I mentioned. Aaaah.

And Dave Meltzer, and other wrestlers. Funny one, Orton. I just wish he did a street urchin gimmick

He can be entertaining. Sometimes. But not enough, and a lot of times not when it matters.

Deanjam

Orton's the greatest wrestler in the world that I just never care about. He has the look, his timing is superb, he's a solid worker and talker, and yet there's very little he's done in his career that I was invested in.

He and AJ had a cracking match on Smackdown a couple of years ago, so I'm hopeful they will deliver at Mania. Although WWE's insistence on giving AJ's matches 'creative' finishes is a worry.

Orton is unable to reinvent himself, which stops him being more relevent. Thats what makes the likes of Jericho and Bryan true greats.

boki

Randy Orton's kinda like the Gary Barlow of the graps, only with more indecent exposure.

Moribunderast

Randy Orton is like a massively-overpushed Lance Storm. His promos are monotone and dull but he's crisp in the ring, generally very safe and probably one of the favourite opponents of most in the locker-room because you know he'll be where he needs to and he won't hurt you. He does have an in-ring charisma that Storm never had but he's really just a safe, solid hand. I can tell he's good at his craft but I just never have any investment in him or his matches. For a guy who's been at the top or near for as long as he has, how many great matches does he have? I can honestly only think of the Cactus Jack match and maybe one or two against Christian. I liked his 'Mania match against Undertaker, too. He'll rarely have a bad match but his ceiling fairly often stops at "good". I feel like he's mostly over due to having a cool finishing move that he delivers brilliantly.

Meanwhile, I haven't engaged with New Japan in the last month or so but I think that's because I knew the New Japan Cup was incoming and that will be a busy viewing schedule to maintain. Surely the winner is either Okada or Ibushi, probably Okada. I'm fine with that - means we'll get four Okada singles matches in a short space of time and probably a final against Ibushi or Naito or ZSJ.

For somebody who is supposedly a great wrestler, Randy Orton has hardly been in any outstanding matches.  I remember the last ones against Daniel Bryan on Raw (when was this?  Five years ago?) being very good, and he had a great one against Mick Foley where he rkoed himself into thumbtacks early on, and that's about it.  I wish he'd just fuck off now tbh.

Z

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 08, 2019, 01:09:25 PM
Randy Orton is like a massively-overpushed Lance Storm.
If Lance Storm was 7 inches taller than he was (in an era when wrestlers are probably on average several inches shorter), he'd've been massively overpushed too.

Orton's very reliable in the ring but almost to the point that it actually cancels out whatever inherent charisma he's got, it just doesn't sync up right at all.

ToneLa

Haha. All this because I said Styles/Orton > HHH / Batista!

Poor Orton, the nuances between his Legend Killer gimmick and his Apex Predator gimmick get lost on many.

Including himself

Heh, reading the last couple of replies, I suspect the only thing we all might agree on is that Randy Orton is shite.

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 08, 2019, 01:09:25 PM
Meanwhile, I haven't engaged with New Japan in the last month or so but I think that's because I knew the New Japan Cup was incoming and that will be a busy viewing schedule to maintain. Surely the winner is either Okada or Ibushi, probably Okada. I'm fine with that - means we'll get four Okada singles matches in a short space of time and probably a final against Ibushi or Naito or ZSJ.

Caught last Wednesday's 47th Anniversary special with a barnstorming Ospreay/White main event - you should make three hours available to watch that.  Was a breeze to watch.  Also noticeable is how some of the underneath guys have improved, like Toa Henare, who I thought was shite this time last year.

I'm going for Okada vs. Ibushi in the New Japan Cup final too.

Worth it for HHH mad Biker Mum From Mars entrances.

Quote from: ToneLa on March 08, 2019, 01:18:06 PM
Cannae wait to read you guys shit on HHH / Batista!

I'm guessing it'll have enough smoke and mirrors, and time, to put together summit very good indeed.  Whether I'll have enough of wrestling by that point that weekend is another matter. . .

ToneLa

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on March 08, 2019, 01:21:34 PM
I'm guessing it'll have enough smoke and mirrors, and time, to put together summit very good indeed.  Whether I'll have enough of wrestling by that point that weekend is another matter. . .

It would be a turn up. I've no idea how Batista is these days and HHH as the face is rotten for the match dynamic. Is he really going to get sympathy, selling?

Tell ye what though I am interested in it. Just think if it is actually in the top three matches of the card.. Then that's a sorry indictment.

It'll have to be fairly amazing to stand out that weekend. It's basically the antithesis of why NXT matches are generally excellent

Hope Taker doesn't have a match. Brrr.

I'm interested in watching the match - haven't seen Batista in ages, absence makes the heart grow fonder an' all that - I'm just worried it'll go 30 minutes like all HHH matches do and I'll get bored five minutes in at 3am in the morning and fall asleep.  Might constantly tweet the last Brock/Goldberg at their accounts in the hope that they'll take the hint.

Oh fuck theres going to be DX involvment too isn't there. Going into the hall of fame this year.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 08, 2019, 11:29:20 AM
If anyone can get an entertaining match out of Orton, it's AJ. But I'm not holding my breath.

Ali got a great match out of him on SD a few weeks back.

ToneLa

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 08, 2019, 01:34:20 PM
Oh fuck theres going to be DX involvment too isn't there. Going into the hall of fame this year.

ARE YOU READY

No.

Ja'moke

Remember Triple H v Sting when DX and NWO got involved.