Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:41:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

This video of the Iconics showing off their new titles to everyone backstage is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvuM2l7oyN8

Caught the MLW Battle Riot show on Freesports, pretty mediocre show all told, but the star of the show is Jim Cornette on commentary. He's probably the best announcer out there today based on that one show, a man everyone thought was stuck in the past.

He gets shit over even if they're not to his taste, full of facts, explains psychology brilliantly, he's funny as fuck, he's just so great. Any other commentator and I would have cancelled my series link.

hummingofevil

I know discussing Meltzer ratings is simply the most pointless thing in the whole wide world (moreover, I probably hear his voice everyday in one way or another but could probably only ell you the rating of half a dozen matches and 3 of those would be Omega Okada as I don't read his match reviews) but he's out done his trolls by giving Miz-Shane a 1.75 stars rating. It was definitely better than that but and I know he would be able to justify it to himself but its not only the low rating but the preciseness of it that makes me chuckle. Anti-Meltzer twitter are wetting themselves.

I actually think is most off score from the weekend was a 4* for Tanahashi-ZSJ. Just didn't do it for me that.

Gargano-Cole was a 5.5 so the best match ever under a Vince owned/WWE company in Dave's opinion.

Ja'moke

QuoteAccording to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the decision to switch the WWE Women's Tag Team titles from Sasha Banks and Bayley to The IIconics came at the last minute for Banks, and has reportedly been a point of contention.

The Observer cites a source from higher up in WWE in claiming that Banks attempted to quit during WrestleMania 35 weekend. Banks was reportedly under the impression that she and Bayley were going to reign for some time with the belts as a way to give the titles credibility.

Additionally, several sources have said that Banks is being given time to think about whether she seriously wants to leave WWE or not. The Observer adds that Banks had originally been scheduled to be on Raw Monday night. Instead, Bayley appeared alone in a defeat against Alexa Bliss.

Banks also missed a scheduled appearance on the syndicated Wendy Williams Show this week, citing personal reasons. Her dropping out came apparently with hours to go before the taping. Though some staffers with Williams' show claimed that Banks would never be invited back to the show, Williams herself announced Banks missed the taping due to a family emergency, and would be invited back.

https://cultaholic.com/news/sasha-banks-reportedly-tried-to-quit-wwe-during-wrestlemania-weekend/

Mobius

Really enjoyed Cornette on that show as well. Added so much. I'd sort of forgotten he is so much more than just an internet curmudgeon. His introduction to the PPV was pure old school wrasslin. Loved it.

Yeah I thought Miz Vs Shane was better than that. I also don't think Gargano/Cole was as good as Gargano/Almas, but it's just opinion.

Bayley essentially jobbed to Alexa on Raw this week - definitely something up, Sasha and/or Bayley seem to be fucked someone off recently!

Ja'moke

I don't even think Gargano v Cole was the best match on the card. Much preferred the tag title match and Dunne v WALTER.

Mobius

Yeah I would agree both of those were better.

Gargano Cole just didn't have much build and the interference at the end harmed it a bit. It was a great match as you'd expect from 2 indie stars who've wrestled each other numerous times.

Don't like the little tease of an Undisputed Era breakup on this week's NXT. Does feel like since Bobby Fish returned that Roddy Strong's doing nothing though.

Deanjam

Agree with Meltzer's rating of Miz/Shane. As I said on the night I thought it was shite. Amost all Shane's matches are like that. Lots of nothing happening, distractions and walking about, and then a big bump to make you forget the fact.

Timothy

Miz vs Shane was great. The George spot was funny and lots of cool spots.

3 stars or more imo. Every Mania needs a cool match like that.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on April 12, 2019, 07:05:02 AM
Agree with Meltzer's rating of Miz/Shane. As I said on the night I thought it was shite. Amost all Shane's matches are like that. Lots of nothing happening, distractions and walking about, and then a big bump to make you forget the fact.

Wouldn't except anything else from Meltzer, he's always had a harsh bias against Shane as well. There certainly wasn't "lots of nothing happening", must be confused with the plodding Triple H matches we get every year. It's very much an Attitude Era style of brawling. Not a technical masterpiece, but good fun. It speaks to the entitlement of wrestling fans that Shane gets dismissed by some for falling from great heights. Pfft, that fucking Shane, all he ever does is almost kill himself for our entertainment. What a hack!

Meltzer also gave Gargano vs. Cole 5.5 stars, so I guess a bunch of silly near falls is preferable.

gmoney

I'd knock half a star off the Miz match, knock a whole star off of the Gargano match and add one to the HHH/Batista match. I will also try not to cry that Dave didn't agree with me.

Deanjam

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 12, 2019, 09:37:43 AM
a harsh bias against Shane as well.

Meltzer also gave Gargano vs. Cole 5.5 stars, so I guess a bunch of silly near falls is preferable.

What's with this bias nonsense. It's not bias to dislike a performer, merely a matter of taste and preference.

Gargano/Cole was a much better match but I was critical of the overbooked near falls at the time. I'd give it a good 4/5 myself.

HHH/Batista was tedious shite.

Timothy

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 12, 2019, 09:37:43 AM
Wouldn't except anything else from Meltzer, he's always had a harsh bias against Shane as well. There certainly wasn't "lots of nothing happening", must be confused with the plodding Triple H matches we get every year. It's very much an Attitude Era style of brawling. Not a technical masterpiece, but good fun. It speaks to the entitlement of wrestling fans that Shane gets dismissed by some for falling from great heights. Pfft, that fucking Shane, all he ever does is almost kill himself for our entertainment.

Shane is awesome. Really happy that he's back. Brings a lot of fun to the PPV.

Cole vs Gargano was 3.5 imo. It was good but all those nearfalls and Super Gargano annoyed me.

Thought Cole/Gargano was easily the best match of the Mania weekend and fully deserving of the full five stars.  Not sure what Shane/Miz match you were all watching, because I saw the typical boring Shane match with all the usual clumsiness and the one big Roadrunner spot at the end.

Dave Meltzer can give about thirty star ratings in an issue that nobody has an issue with, but if he rates one or two matches half-a-star above or below somebody else's ratings, it's like "what the fuck is he doing rating that match like a chump, the fucking arsehole".

Ja'moke

Enzo and Cass are going by the names nZo and CazXL in ROH. Their tag team name - Free AgentZ... with a Z, obviously.

up_the_hampipe

nZo is also his rap name. He'll probably be writing their theme song. He said he was done with wrestling anyway, didn't he? I know you can never trust a wrestler who says that, but I was hopeful.

Deanjam

Timothy

I miss Enzo in the WWE. He was incredibly entertaining. Great asset for the cruiserweight roster or as a manager.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on April 12, 2019, 10:15:38 AM
What's with this bias nonsense. It's not bias to dislike a performer, merely a matter of taste and preference.

It just seems unfair sometimes. It might not have been you, but I remember when he had an amazing match with AJ Styles, it was said that AJ carried Shane to a good match. Sad. His punches look shite and he's no technical wizard, but he can be a very entertaining performer. He takes more risks and puts on more of a spectacle than many wrestlers, and he could have just sat around living off daddy's millions.

Deanjam

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 12, 2019, 02:20:02 PM
It just seems unfair sometimes. It might not have been you, but I remember when he had an amazing match with AJ Styles, it was said that AJ carried Shane to a good match. Sad. His punches look shite and he's no technical wizard, but he can be a very entertaining performer. He takes more risks and puts on more of a spectacle than many wrestlers, and he could have just sat around living off daddy's millions.

I might've said that, although I recall giving props for his performance against AJ. I enjoyed him and Miz as a team more than their singles feud. I don't hate or even dislike him, I even enjoy him at times, but I find his matches do nothing for me.

Quote from: Timothy on April 12, 2019, 02:15:19 PM
I miss Enzo in the WWE. He was incredibly entertaining. Great asset for the cruiserweight roster or as a manager.

Oh, no. I've disliked them since NXT. Nails down a chalkboard to me.

Timothy

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 12, 2019, 02:20:02 PM

I've read that he sold all his stock for a failure in the Chinese market and therefore now is on the WWE's payroll as a wrestler.

QuoteOh, no. I've disliked them since NXT. Nails down a chalkboard to me.

I really miss him in the WWE. Enjoyed his work.

Spode

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 11, 2019, 11:11:47 PM
This video of the Iconics showing off their new titles to everyone backstage is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvuM2l7oyN8

They're brilliant. Easily the funniest characters on the whole roster. And that pose they do with the belts should get Meltzer's first 8 star rating.

hummingofevil

The problem with Enzo and the IIconics is not that they are not entertaining (as they undoubetbly are) it's just that as I am watching them I get massive I'm-a-40-year-old-man-and-I-am-wasting-my-life-watching-this-shit vibes. There have always been wrestlers who are good value but are crap wrestlers but at least in the old days you could cover for it with a bit of smart booking and a decent agent.

Watching shit loads of wrestling over the last few weeks I have realised that I like a whole broad range of wrestling and don't write off anything in principle (apart from deathmatches - blood is not for me in wrestling - unless maybe its those mental Mexican matches but even then one a year is enough) but there has to be a basis of being able to go in the ring. Whether it is that Takeda Gresham match where they make it look like he legit knocked the fuck out of him in Bloodsports or Tsuka wrestling a giant inflatable panda in Ice Ribbon Joshi there has to be the jeopardy with all characters that they are good in the ring at at least SOMETHING.

So for that reason alone I would be quite happy if I never saw either of those tag teams on my screens ever again.

Ja'moke

Moribunderast

I watched the first Viceland "Dark Side Of The Ring" episode, about Macho Man and Elizabeth. It's pretty shit, to be honest. Doesn't go into much depth, just superficially goes over the angles they were involved in and a bit about their personal lives but it felt like there was no depth at all. It's just "They were in love. He could be controlling but, still, he was a nice guy. Lex and Liz did drugs. Now everyone's dead." Also didn't help that as Hogan refused to be part of it they got his wife instead, who I find almost as risible as him for different reasons. Only worthwhile bit was Jacob The Snakob talking about Savage being paranoid that he would set an actual venomous snake on him and thus forcing Jake to get bit by the snake first before running the angle. Lunatic.

Timothy

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 13, 2019, 10:51:30 PM
The problem with Enzo and the IIconics is not that they are not entertaining (as they undoubetbly are) it's just that as I am watching them I get massive I'm-a-40-year-old-man-and-I-am-wasting-my-life-watching-this-shit vibes. There have always been wrestlers who are good value but are crap wrestlers but at least in the old days you could cover for it with a bit of smart booking and a decent agent.

The IIconics aren't crap wrestlers though. Trained by Lance Storm and good in the ring. Enzo is but he makes up for it with his mic skills and I would prefer him to be in the WWE as a manager. Imagine him being the manager of someone who is bad at English, like Asuka or for someone with bad mic skills like Curtix Axel. Amazing.

But I know the feeling you're talking about. I have that with No Way Jose.

Deanjam

Quote from: Timothy on April 14, 2019, 10:40:37 AM
The IIconics aren't crap wrestlers though.

Yes they are. I'll give people that they have personality (although I find it annoying myself), but they are absolute dogshit in the ring.

N.B. And only Peyton went to Lance's school.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on April 14, 2019, 10:40:37 AM
The IIconics aren't crap wrestlers though. Trained by Lance Storm and good in the ring. Enzo is but he makes up for it with his mic skills and I would prefer him to be in the WWE as a manager. Imagine him being the manager of someone who is bad at English, like Asuka or for someone with bad mic skills like Curtix Axel. Amazing.

But I know the feeling you're talking about. I have that with No Way Jose.

The IIconics are dreadful wrestlers.

Asuka and Curtis Axel are actual perfect examples of what I am talking about. They are both actually popular with the fans and are able to get themselves over if they were just allowed to do so and not be booked into oblivion by Vince. They have a natural charisma about them and (Asuka especially) can back it up in the ring (at least within the limitations of what they get asked to do). I have always thought Axel needs a better haircut as that brush forward 1990 Gazza cut does him no favours but he definitely has more talent that WWE will ever let him show. I'm sure he is more than happy with his bank balance mind.

Enzo managing Asuka has to be the worst idea I think I have ever heard. No offence mate...

Timothy

I disagree. They're decent workers. And Curtis Axel having natural charisma? Anything but! That guy was pushed to the moon but didn't get over because he was so dull.

And if there's one team that deserves those female tag titles it's imo the IIconics because they're the only actual team.