Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:52:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 25, 2019, 04:45:29 PM
No idea how much the bump was due to The Bucks (or how much that bump actually was)

22% above the previous record in that time slot according to Meltzer.

AAA Azteca ratings:

19/04: 3.2 rating (5.4 million viewers - a million more than previous record)
12/04: 2.5 rating (3.9 million viewers)
05/04: 2.1 rating (4.4 million viewers)
29/03: 2.3 rating (4.1 million viewers)
22/03: 2.1 rating (3.3 million viewers)

The AAA show is by far the most watched wrestling show in North America.  19/04 was promoted as a Good Friday special so may have helped the viewing figures.

Spode

Finding everything but the actual television compelling about WWE right now. FOX supposedly having input on the shakeup (Almas back on Smackdown), privately not giving a shit about couples (Almas originally on RAW) but then backtracking to either genuinely appease talent they didn't realise they were upsetting or to portray publicly that they didn't actually  want to fuck up people's lives for the fun of it. Re-naming the War Raiders and then changing it due to the bad reaction and never acknowledging it ever happened - the whole thing seems to be blind panic with no long term planning at all. If AEW turns out to be even half decent, I genuinely think they're in serious trouble.

Also think this Harper situation is going to blow up in light of the recent John Oliver segment. I can't comprehend how they can extend the contracts of talent as a punishment for not working when they clearly hate their jobs.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Spode on April 25, 2019, 09:10:37 PM
Also think this Harper situation is going to blow up in light of the recent John Oliver segment. I can't comprehend how they can extend the contracts of talent as a punishment for not working when they clearly hate their jobs.

Having one of their owners as Trump's main fundraiser will keep that wolf at the door for at least the next 2 years.

Ja'moke

QuoteOn Thursday's Q1 call for investors, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon pointed to 15 top and mid-card talents being out as the reason for declining numbers.

"When you don't have talent, you don't have storylines. When you don't have storylines, you're not going to do that well in terms of live events and television ratings. It was like a cascade of things that happened," he said.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/vince-mcmahon-talent-absences-blame-declining-wwe-numbers-282366?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Mobius

Timothy

QuoteWhen you don't have talent, you don't have storylines. When you don't have storylines, you're not going to do that well in terms of live events and television ratings. It was like a cascade of things that happened," he said.

McMahon followed that up by saying that all those talents were back and that they "made new talent." He was optimistic for the future, citing new additions to the writing team and a new live events team that is now in place.   

Worlds shittiest boss.

boki

Quote from: Mobius on April 26, 2019, 02:39:17 AM
Rhea Ripley #cancelled

Her apology was, err, interestingly worded.  I doubt anything much'll come of it, although I'd expect that the E will have a word with her edgelord chums about their stream.

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on April 25, 2019, 06:12:43 PM
AAA Azteca ratings:

19/04: 3.2 rating (5.4 million viewers - a million more than previous record)
12/04: 2.5 rating (3.9 million viewers)
05/04: 2.1 rating (4.4 million viewers)
29/03: 2.3 rating (4.1 million viewers)
22/03: 2.1 rating (3.3 million viewers)

The AAA show is by far the most watched wrestling show in North America.  19/04 was promoted as a Good Friday special so may have helped the viewing figures.

Apparent correction on the 19/4 number: according to Superluchas, it was actually a 1.37 rating, for 772,140 viewers. Doubt The Young Bucks will tweet that.

Ja'moke

That was great... not sure about the fake crying at the end, but everything else, perfect.

hummingofevil

Yeah. Was good that. Am I getting ahead of myself with these CM Punk mentions. It's obviously very early stages and Meltzer has reported previously that Punk is "done with wrestling" but there must be a part of him that thinks if he prescence in AEW helps them grow then it's another fuck you to the WWE who he clearly despises. I suspect if he does appear it will be in stage 2 of AEW but would be class.

In other news the ROH/NWA Crocket Cup show looked really good. I haven't seen it all as coudn't justify paying out another £25 but the design and production was great and the reviews say the matches were great.

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1122289951645818881

Ricky Morton still got it at 62 and that ring mat.... beautiful.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 29, 2019, 05:54:33 PM
Yeah. Was good that. Am I getting ahead of myself with these CM Punk mentions. It's obviously very early stages and Meltzer has reported previously that Punk is "done with wrestling" but there must be a part of him that thinks if he prescence in AEW helps them grow then it's another fuck you to the WWE who he clearly despises. I suspect if he does appear it will be in stage 2 of AEW but would be class.

Well, he's not quite done with wrestling as he's been popping up at random indie shows in disguise. It's probably going to take a while before he takes a proper dive back in though.

hummingofevil

Meiko Satomura vs Sareee from SEAdling (I think)

Some fun kicks for you to enjoy.

https://twitter.com/narukiroy/status/1122325157069185024

hummingofevil

Might watch Raw for a bit. But nothing will be as entertaining as Harry / Davey Boy Jr's fashion sense. I really loved him in Bloodsports but thought he could do with moving away from the Union Flag ring gear and should be a dressed in black badass. I suspect he will never accept that advice (and I'm not the one to argue with him).

https://twitter.com/DBSmithjr/status/1123001522487529473

hummingofevil

Didn't watch Raw. Instead got sucked into a row online about some Israeli wrestling fans acting like dicks in a load of shows in Tokyo in last week. When you think wrestling fans couldn't reach new depths of lacking self-awareness there is always a new one to come along and lower one's expectations.

hummingofevil

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 29, 2019, 11:30:05 PM
Meiko Satomura vs Sareee from SEAdling (I think)

Some fun kicks for you to enjoy.

https://twitter.com/narukiroy/status/1122325157069185024

This was Sendai girls. They doing a show in Manchester in June and I'm half tempted.

Moribunderast

That Cody promo was all sorts of ace. I love goofiness in wrestling but I'm equally a fan of when it's taken seriously with sincere and genuine builds. If AEW can build it's big matches with promos and production value the like of the Dustin and Cody videos and then blend that in to a show with some BTE/All In style goofiness I will be a happy camper.

Watching the Impact PPV "Rebellion" currently. It's sad because the small venues and crowds make it feel very low-rent but some of the match builds seem like they've been really good telly. Sami Callinana and Rich Swann had a good hardcore match based off a cool looking angle and as I type I am watching a very good Gail Kim vs. Tessa Blanchard match. Still got Brian Cage vs. Johnny Mundo/Impact and LAX vs. Pentagon and Fenix in a TLC match, which should both be good.

Ja'moke

Apparently The Revival turned down a $500k a year contract... then on last night's Raw they did a segment were the Usos caught Dash shaving Dawson's back in the shower. Coincidence?

Deanjam

Just heard that on Observer radio. WWE are so petty. Quite pathetic.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 30, 2019, 05:03:19 PM
Apparently The Revival turned down a $500k a year contract... then on last night's Raw they did a segment were the Usos caught Dash shaving Dawson's back in the shower. Coincidence?

I thought that was Richocet? Ha ha. Yeah. Look's like Vince and Paul's determination not to be the bad guy company has lasted a matter of weeks.

TBF if you paid me 500k you can take the piss out of me all you want.

Z

It's kind of interesting though, there's a whole generation of guys now who have gotten into it post-RF video shoots and all that shit, wholly aware of how shit the business can be from listening to washed up has beens waffle on for hours. These are guys where 500k a year was probably never that big of a motivator to them at all. Their idols are guys who built up their names outside of the WWE, the recent runs of Joe and AJ stand to serve as proof that there's a reward in keeping away and honing your craft... WWE's buying power just isn't what it realistically should be.

Moribunderast

Well, Dean Ambrose's "retirement" didn't last long. Jon Moxley is BACK.

Presumably AEW bound?

Timothy

Counting the days, escaping from jail and eventually getting chased out by a dog.

Fucking great video that was.

petril

better than about 90% of post-Shield Ambrose shenanigans

gmoney

Moribunderast

Aaaand apparently WWE have added 2 months to Dash Wilder's contract due to injury lay-off. God they're fucking reprehensible.

I need to send a question in to Meltzer and get him to explain these contracts to me. I know American workers' rights are fucked but how can it be that people can seemingly not quit a job? If someone does quit, do they have to sit out their contract without pay? Or does the contract just get frozen in perpetuity? It seems like utter lunacy. Hopefully the talent is learning from this shit and refuse to sign contracts with these clauses in place going forward. Nobody should be a hostage at their fucken place of work.

I'm not Dave Meltzer, but here's what I know and assume:

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 01, 2019, 11:08:48 AM
I know American workers' rights are fucked but how can it be that people can seemingly not quit a job?

Because the wrestler signed a contract saying that they cannot work elsewhere.

If someone does quit, do they have to sit out their contract without pay?

They still get paid, otherwise it gives a wrestler a way out of the contract.  However, WWE may have the right to suspend a wrestler without pay if they don't do as they're told.  Depends on who it is, depends on the contract.

Or does the contract just get frozen in perpetuity?

It probably will, if WWE deems the wrestler is useful to another organisation.  Not a contract thing, it's a "we're in a wrestling war" thing.

It seems like utter lunacy. Hopefully the talent is learning from this shit and refuse to sign contracts with these clauses in place going forward. Nobody should be a hostage at their fucken place of work.

Talent will still sign for WWE despite this because WWE still (often) pays more than anywhere else and WWE is by far the biggest wrestling promotion on the planet and has the most exposure.  WWE has all the leverage in the world, and the best lawyers.

Moribunderast

So effectively you can not quit a WWE contract because if you leave and don't return they can just ice you until you've fulfilled the contractually obligated length of time or number of dates. Do you think such a contract (and with the independent contractor status) would hold up if challenged in court? I realise no wrestler will do so, for fear of being bled monetarily dry by WWE's lawyers and permanently burning bridges with Vince but it just seems absolutely ridiculous. Like, I could see a "no-compete" clause saying you can't go wrestle elsewhere until your contract is up (though that makes a mockery if the IC status itself) but actually being able to freeze a contract for injury or quitting... I'm not new to how fucked corporate America is when it comes to it's employees but it's just a shitty situation. If someone is miserable at work they should not be held hostage.

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 01, 2019, 12:13:41 PM
Do you think such a contract (and with the independent contractor status) would hold up if challenged in court? I realise no wrestler will do so, for fear of being bled monetarily dry by WWE's lawyers and permanently burning bridges with Vince but it just seems absolutely ridiculous.

Well, yeah, that's the reason.  Lawyers.

I'm no employment lawyer, but I think that, as long as a wrestler gets paid, it won't hold up in court.

If the wrestler does not get paid, the wrestler has a chance to get out of it.  Brock Lesnar had a no-compete clause in his contract when he left in the mid-2000s, but that didn't hold up in court so he and WWE reached an out-of-court settlement and he was released.