Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:56:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on May 07, 2019, 02:36:01 PM
WWE is just a fucking stupid way of spending your free time

There is still some amusement to be had from double screening RAW to enjoy people slagging it off on the internet. Even that has got boring now.

TBF the best bit of last night until I turned if off was watching those batshit adverts they have for diabetes treatment on US TV.

"Warning may cause: nausea, vomitting, fever, rash, fainting, high-blood pressure, low-blood pressure, KIDNEY FAILURE... etc. Not for use if you have Type 1 diabetes. I repeat DO NOT FUCKING TAKE IF YOU HAVE TYPE 1 DIABETES OR KEYTONOSIS and if you get diagnosed with keytonosis FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING CHRIST STOP TAKING THIS SHIT. Available at all good drugstores. "

Went on for about 20 seconds in increasing severity.

hummingofevil

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on May 07, 2019, 02:43:21 PM
Also, it'll work out around $40 for the PPV alone.  Try and buy it from a laptop as opposed to a phone app or something, as on the app it's usually $40 = £40, rather than £30.67.

Also you need to buy it through the App (not the desktop version) to qualify for the credits.

Ah. Hold on. It cost more to buy through App but they give you credit? Sneaky cunts.

Timothy

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on May 07, 2019, 02:36:01 PM
WWE is just a fucking stupid way of spending your free time.

Depends what you watch and how you watch. I really enjoy NXT and most of the PPV's, and since I watch Raw and SD a day later I can skip every segment I dislike. Their documentaries, 24 and 365 series are great and Table of 3 is really entertaining. And I really enjoyed the shows that I attended live. Fun matches and always a great atmosphere.

That said I despise the fact that they don't release people that want to go, dislike the fact that RAW and Smackdown kill most NXT stars, hate the fact that they go to Saudi and hope AEW succeeds so that WWE finally has to step up and get better.

QuoteAlso, it'll work out around $40 for the PPV alone.  Try and buy it from a laptop as opposed to a phone app or something, as on the app it's usually $40 = £40, rather than £30.67.

Wait. So I can't use the credits on a laptop and when I use them on the app I still have to pay more?!

hummingofevil

https://support.fite.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115003535214-How-do-credits-work-

Firstly, if you buy stuff on the Fite TV app (on your phone) it is the same log in and you can watch it on your laptop fine (and plug it into TV at HD). It is not linked to any individual device. You might have to log out of the account first.

Secondly, I am sure that you need to buy the stuff on the app to get the credits for the invite thing. It suggest that in the link above.

Thirdly, I am not sure about what AAP said about the price converstions. If you can pay in dollars on the desktop it is propably better to do that as its cash cheaper (though you would get $10 credit and AAP would also get some - it is either $5 or $10).

---

I need to go out but I will look later.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 07, 2019, 01:36:42 PM
I too thought of conspiracy theory of Vince purposely trying to bomb his own ratings to affect AEW but surely not even he is that mental...

...Speaking of which the XFL ...

I'd never underestimate just how mental Vince is.

Quote from: Timothy on May 07, 2019, 02:02:17 PM
Sorry, but that whole Mike and the Mechanics comparison doesn't make any sense. Like I said before: You can like some of a band's songs or albums but that doesn't automatically mean you like everything else they do and/or release.

Trying to make it seem that I automatically like everything WWE does is just a cheap way to discuss imo because I made it very clear that I don't.

And you ignoring all my questions and points because I don't watch regularly isn't cheap?

Quote from: Timothy on May 07, 2019, 02:19:00 PM
I'm not sure why you are trying to get that point across since everybody here already knows that and agrees. There are better wrestling shows out there then Raw and Smackdown. Raw and Smackdown have been quite bad shows lately. Doesn't mean we can't still enjoy the segments and matches that are good (like Kofi vs Bryan and the Wyatt segment on Raw yesterday).

It should do, because by regularly tuning in and putting up with the dreck they produce, you are sending them the message that you are happy with the product so they make no effort to change. Why would they, they don't think they need to because as long as they put on one good match, regardless of whether the match makes sense in the angle, you'll still tune in. They've got you. All you talk about is the stuff you're looking forward to, never the stuff you're currently enjoying. WWE are great at creating interest, but they have a proven track record at being piss poor at following it up with an interesting and coherent angle. If the best you can say is that you enjoy cherry picking the tv to find a few matches you can enjoy in isolation with no build then it doesnt say much for the state of their booking.

Wrestling is weird like that isn't it? Does anyone watch sketch shows that they don't like just because there's one 4 minute sketch on during the half hour that they enjoy?

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 07, 2019, 02:59:05 PM
And you ignoring all my questions and points because I don't watch regularly isn't cheap?

I just don't get reading recaps, watching clips and generally following a tv show that you don't enjoy. When I dislike the direction a tv show is going or don't enjoy it anymore I just quit watching. I see no point in trying to convince others that still enjoy that tv show to stop watching.

Is it habit or because you still have the hope that it will get better?

QuoteIt should do, because by regularly tuning in and putting up with the dreck they produce, you are sending them the message that you are happy with the product so they make no effort to change.

I can't tune in. They don't air WWE on television here. I watch I through watchwrestling. I'm not a part of their ratings. Doesn't matter if I watch or not, I'm not sending them any message.

QuoteAll you talk about is the stuff you're looking forward to, never the stuff you're currently enjoying.

I enjoy the Rollins and Styles segments and am therefore looking forward to their match. Same to Kofi, Owens and Bryan's matches and segments. I really enjoy the Wyatt segments and heel Sami Zayn. I find Baron Corbin's promo's entertaining even though he is really dull in the ring. I'm a fan of Black and Richochet and enjoy their matches. All things I've said over and over again.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 07, 2019, 02:59:05 PM
Wrestling is weird like that isn't it? Does anyone watch sketch shows that they don't like just because there's one 4 minute sketch on during the half hour that they enjoy?

I think you have just described pretty much all of BBC's comedy output in the years 2000-2010. :)

I do think in the age of subscription services people are willing to sit through of our dull shit they don't even like. My girlfriend has a very busy work life but will still find time to sit and watch 4 series of some woeful US drama on Netflix and then tell me it was "fine". Christ knows how much time I spend on here or Twitter or just listening to WON. Hours every day. Stick on RAW, play on your phone. What I don't get is how the advertisers are not onto this. Name me one product apart that is advertised on RAW you saw last time you watched either on the show or on adverts? No idea apart from that mental diabetes drug.

That has to be the model WWE are working on. Rinse their existing fans for everything they have. Someone was on Twitter saying a floor ticket for MITB was $800 or something. Fuck me. How did you pay for next week Timothy? £70 for a house show £30 for a MITB kids plastic lunch box. Its a racket.

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 07, 2019, 02:44:14 PM
"Warning may cause: nausea, vomitting, fever, rash, fainting, high-blood pressure, low-blood pressure, KIDNEY FAILURE... etc. Not for use if you have Type 1 diabetes. I repeat DO NOT FUCKING TAKE IF YOU HAVE TYPE 1 DIABETES OR KEYTONOSIS and if you get diagnosed with keytonosis FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING CHRIST STOP TAKING THIS SHIT. Available at all good drugstores. "

Went on for about 20 seconds in increasing severity.

The only time I went to America I was absolutely flabbergasted at these adverts.

Also you need to buy it through the App (not the desktop version) to qualify for the credits.

Ah. Hold on. It cost more to buy through App but they give you credit? Sneaky cunts.

Yep, this is a "feature" for us non-US viewers.  Timothy - you might want to fuck off using my code and just buying it the night before, on a laptop, and it'll be cheaper if you don't intend on using Fite again (although it's worth sticking with it as there's a ton of great wrestling on it - I absolutely smashed it during Mania week).

Quote from: Timothy
Depends what you watch and how you watch. I really enjoy NXT and most of the PPV's, and since I watch Raw and SD a day later I can skip every segment I dislike. Their documentaries, 24 and 365 series are great and Table of 3 is really entertaining. And I really enjoyed the shows that I attended live. Fun matches and always a great atmosphere.

Well, yeah, I was obviously talking about Raw and Smackdown there.  Not sure how you can skip segments you dislike without getting the heads up first that they're dogshit though - do you think after a short while "this'll be shite" and fast forward to the next segment?

NXT is still excellent, the documentaries can be fun, the live shows are expensive and don't matter in the grand scheme of things but they're usually fun if there's not a chanting arsehole next to you, WWE Network has a ton of stuff on it.  But current wrestling is still better outside of WWE and other organisations don't take Saudi money*

* except Sinclair?  Fuck ROH too, incidentally.

Timothy

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 07, 2019, 03:05:45 PM
How did you pay for next week Timothy? £70 for a house show. Its a racket.

Houseshows here are three hours long and second hand tickets are around 20 - 40 euros. Not that much. My tickets for the UK shows next week are 30.50 for good seats.

Thanks for all the advice re: the Fite app. Ironically, with me defending the things I enjoy about WWE here, Double or Nothing is the show I'm looking forward to the most.

QuoteWell, yeah, I was obviously talking about Raw and Smackdown there.  Not sure how you can skip segments you dislike without getting the heads up first that they're dogshit though - do you think after a short while "this'll be shite" and fast forward to the next segment?

Quite easy. Look, Baron Corbin is in the ring for a match. Fast forward. Look, Becky is going to do another promo. Fast forward. Etc. Sometimes I wait and see what happens but most often then not the gut feeling if something is going to be good or not is always correct (the opposite to my PPV predictions haha)

QuoteXT is still excellent, the documentaries can be fun, the live shows are expensive and don't matter in the grand scheme of things but they're usually fun if there's not a chanting arsehole next to you, WWE Network has a ton of stuff on it.

Exactly.

QuoteBut current wrestling is still better outside of WWE

True.

Quote from: Timothy on May 07, 2019, 03:09:49 PM
Look, Baron Corbin is in the ring for a match. Fast forward.

I'll clink glasses to that, brother.

EDIT: what about occasions where something looks promising but has a shitty payoff?  Revival in the segment, oh cool, this'll be good.  Oh wait, they're dragging their arses across the ring because of an angle about scalding arse cream.  It's too many instances of WWE dangling the carrot that's one of the reasons that makes me not bother.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on May 07, 2019, 03:05:00 PM
I just don't get reading recaps, watching clips and generally following a tv show that you don't enjoy. When I dislike the direction a tv show is going or don't enjoy it anymore I just quit watching. I see no point in trying to convince others that still enjoy that tv show to stop watching.

Is it habit or because you still have the hope that it will get better?

Both. WWE didn't get me into wrestling, World Of Sport did, I was a fan before WWE came along so that helped when it came to stopping watching finally, my loyalty was stretched to breaking point before most people because although I watched some WWF as a kid, it wasn't Vince that got me into wrestling. But I did watch WWE for a long time, I have an interest in the company, I find the backstage shenanigans more interesting than what they put on TV and WWE are kings of backstage shenanigans, I'm interested in their position in wrestling as a whole, most decent wrestlers come into contact with them at some point in their careers (something that thankfully seems to be changing) so that's why I don't ignore WWE completely. I'm not a WWE fan (at the moment), I'm a wrestling fan, so that includes reading about WWE and occasionally watching clips or matches now and again in the hope it gets better because with their production values and in-ring talent, when they get it right it can be pretty damn spectacular. But I check in with them less and less these days because theres less and less evidence they're interested or even capable of making their product and company better. It's the backstage 'talent' that's fucking everything up.

QuoteI'm not a part of their ratings.

You go their live shows (and buy merch?), you're giving them your money. Or do you turn up to the live show late, not pay to get in, watch the one match on the card that looks interesting and then leave?

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 07, 2019, 03:14:53 PM
Both. WWE didn't get me into wrestling, World Of Sport did, I was a fan before WWE came along so that helped when it came to stopping watching finally, my loyalty was stretched to breaking point before most people because although I watched some WWF as a kid, it wasn't Vince that got me into wrestling. But I did watch WWE for a long time, I have an interest in the company, I find the backstage shenanigans more interesting than what they put on TV and WWE are kings of backstage shenanigans, I'm interested in their position in wrestling as a whole, most decent wrestlers come into contact with them at some point in their careers (something that thankfully seems to be changing) so that's why I don't ignore WWE completely. I'm not a WWE fan (at the moment), I'm a wrestling fan, so that includes reading about WWE and occasionally watching clips or matches now and again in the hope it gets better because with their production values and in-ring talent, when they get it right it can be pretty damn spectacular. But I check in with them less and less these days because theres less and less evidence they're interested or even capable of making their product and company better. It's the backstage 'talent' that's fucking everything up.

Ah, makes sense. I can understand that. Your comments make more sense now.

QuoteYou go their live shows (and buy merch?), you're giving them your money.

The tickets for the liveshows and here and there a monthly Network subscription are indeed the only times I send them a message by paying for stuff they produce.

Looking forward to the shows next week (even if they're dire) just to experience a tv taping and see the way they produce and tape their shows.

Which country do you live Timothy?  Is there much local wrestling action going on?  I should probably consider myself lucky in Newcastle where there's a couple of shows a month, even if many of them are local, social club-type shows.

Timothy

Holland.

There's not much local wrestling unfortunately. There are two Dutch wrestling shows that produces a show once a month but I never managed to visit because it's quite far away.
Edit: Not once a month. Looked on their website. Twice or three times a year.

I went to two WWE live shows in Belgium. A RAW houseshow (with Punk vs Jericho being the main event, which was awesome) and an NXT show which was ruined by the crowd. Tickets for NXT were 15 euros. RAW around 40 but we managed to get them second hand for 20.

Oh. And I just found out that WWE wasn't here for the last time in 2009. They were here in 2011, then in 2016, then last year and they will be here this year with a house show. Haven't visited them and didn't even know that. They don't seem to really advertise those shows here.

Most of my friends don't watch wrestling. I know two other people who watch. It doesn't really live here.

hummingofevil

A things outside of WWE list:

- MLW - proper wrestling, Cornette on commentary. A bit average in the ring.
- Impact - Great stuff but no-one seems to care. Which is a shame. Women's division is ace.
- ROH - Agreed that best to ignore due to Sinclair's involvement and their bit of MSG was shite but the NWA/ROH Crockett Cup looked cracking for some old school vibes.
- ICW/Defiant/Progress - No idea. Lost interest ages ago. Not interested in mid-range UK indies as a rule but live shows can be fun. Would rather not give money to anyone with WWE deal.
- Local super-indie promotions: GIVE IT TO ME BABY. That my thing. No more than a tenner in and £2.50 a pint at the bar and I'm yours for the night.
- AEW. I'll buy the PPV and live in hope but have my concerns it just won't be a big enough deal.
- independentwrestling.tv Good stuff for $10 a month. If you watched any of the GCW stuff in Mania week then it mainly the same people (all based around New England I think). Beyond Wrestling is every Wednesday and is fun show with small, keen crowd set in what looks like a pub.
- NJPW- Just get a subscription. If anything I am losing interest as there is TOO MUCH amazing stuff on there with the "road to" series and I can't watch it all but just looking this morning at the BOSJ groupings and the possible combinations of ridiculously great matches is off the charts.
- AJPW - Not got round to it bar following the results and GIFs but hearing excellent things about it at the moment.
- DDT - The subscription service is a fucking nightmare to navigate but it is great fun. Made me start learning Japanese because it's not in English and suspect it is genuinely hilarious if you can pick it up.
- Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling - DDT women's division included in DDT subscription. Wrestling not always the best but they have Maki Itoh who is the best character in all wrestling at the moment and Miyu Yamashita as the ACE who is awesome in ring. Yuka Sakazaki and her Aladdin gimmick is down to wrestling Double Or Nothing.
- Big Japan and Dragon's Gate: Haven't seen much of either. I think Big Japan leans towards Death Match style and Dragon's Gate is more in ring excellence. PAC is in Dragon's Gate. That pretty much sums up what to expect.
- Stardom - I'm a bit overwhelmed with this at the moment as it is Golden Week and they doing a theme where everyone dresses up as each other and I am confused as fuck. Toni Storm dressed as Minoru Suzuki is awesome. I am going to watch BOSJ and wait for a lull in NJPW and then just binge watch Stardom for a month. Which leads me onto.
- Eve. I really want to get into this as it looks great. The Kris Wolf retirement show a week ago looked amazing. Haven't got time at the moment but again am going to find a quiet month and just blast its back catalogue.
- Other Joshi: Ice Ribbon / SEAdLinnng/ Wave / Oz. All have different styles and haven't quite got my head around what is what but random ace matches keep appearing on Twitter. Don't think they have streaming services (DVD sales - someone posted a snide link to a Twitter feed on here with their shows on on - bad, bad man - go watch).
- Sendai Girls. As above but with the awesome Sareee and Meiko Satomura. If you like that match I posted then they coming to Manchester in June. I am tempted to go.

Have I missed anything? There are the European promotions from Dublin, Madrid, Germany and France that stick up decent stuff on youtube often for free.

Edit: Yes. I missed all of Mexican Wrestling. I know very little about it outside of the CMLL tie in with NJPW but AAA will be working with AEW and I think it they have a Twitch channel that shows stuff if you into that stuff.

Then there is this. The best match filmed in what looks like a housing project in front of an audience of 20 kids that you will ever see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=NIc89sma4fI

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on May 07, 2019, 03:27:04 PM
Holland.
There's not much local wrestling unfortunately. 

This one is promising bodyslams, suplexes and high-flying action.

Timothy

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 07, 2019, 03:37:48 PM

You have Dutch Pro Wrestling and Pro Wrestling Holland here. They both have around two to three shows a year. Quite far away unfortunately (and one of them is quite difficult to reach with public transport) but we're probably going to visit PWH's show in a few months.

hummingofevil

I reckon you need to start your own promotion. TCW. Do it. Newcastle has a busy indie scene and get them all over on the ferry. Put Jericho's cruise to shame. :)

Timothy

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 07, 2019, 03:42:42 PM
I reckon you need to start your own promotion. TCW. Do it. Newcastle has a busy indie scene and get them all over on the ferry. Put Jericho's cruise to shame. :)

Ha. Not a good idea.

I wish there was more local wrestling here. Must be great to live in the UK, with the great local wrestling scene and NJPW, ROH, NXT and WWE having yearly shows there.

I have to say, even though most of you never agree with my views or opinions, I really enjoy talking wrestling here. This topic and the community is great.

sevendaughters

All Japan's top card right now is as good as New Japan's. They have really got a particular aesthetic - legitimate heavyweights who will hit you hard. Between Zeus, The Bodyguard, Shuji Ishikawa, Joe Doering, Dylan James, Okabayashi, Sekimoto, Nomura, and Jake Lee they have real potential to grow. Kento Miyahara is a super champ and he is getting the Okada treatment and the company is coming up with him.

There were nearly as many good to great matches in the recent Champion Carnival as there usually are in a G1 Climax. Maybe not at the very top end, but in terms of believable and solid heavyweight wrestling. Big Japan were for a while the go to for good heavyweights (only half their show is deathmatches, the rest is good!) but All Japan use their guys better now.

Also Dragon Gate were depleted by a mass departure. Their shows are kind of like Cirque du Soleil more than wrestling, such is their split-second perfection of multi-man moves.

You missed out Mexico in your round-up.
- CMLL is the ancient seat of the Mexican style and you will never be found wanting for a raft of great flyers and funny antics, while the top card generally seems to have some majesty about it.
- AAA is hot trash a lot of the time though they always have like 6/7 studs no matter what ie. Penta. 

hummingofevil

Right I am going now. Nice to chat. Laters.

Edit: Cheers sevendaughters. I will continue to follow and put it on my "i'll just get a month" list. :)

CMLL's show is on YouTube every week.  I'd watch that and get a AJPW subscription, but I don't even have the time to watch all new NJPWWorld these days.  So much out there, christ.  I'm looking forward to retirement so I can catch up.

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 07, 2019, 03:37:48 PM

Plus you get to see Shaved X-Pac, Some Mortal Kombat-Looking Hoodie Prick, Ricochet and New Jack's Son and Bubba Ray Strowman.

Deanjam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 07, 2019, 12:38:51 PM
Conversely, the Network is the only thing I'm sticking with as everything there is of consistently high quality (even the main brand PPVs are decent, just too long) plus the amount of classic content on there is ridiculous. It's the one thing they get right so I'm not punishing them (or myself) by cancelling that.

Aye. This is me too.

sevendaughters

I am just watching big New Japan shows, big All Japan shows, and some random stuff here and there. I will have to give G1 a miss this year too. I have a blog about old shoot-style wrestling and watch an old UWF or RINGS every week.

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 07, 2019, 04:48:59 PM
I have a blog about old shoot-style wrestling and watch an old UWF or RINGS every week.

Did you see the Bloodsport PPV over Mania weekend?  Such a fun show.  Suzuki/Barnett was crazy good.

sevendaughters

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on May 07, 2019, 05:09:19 PM
Did you see the Bloodsport PPV over Mania weekend?  Such a fun show.  Suzuki/Barnett was crazy good.

Yeah it was fun. Not quite 'shoot-style' but a strange midpoint between that and pro-style that I approve of all the same. I really liked the Frank Mir match in its brevity. Last year's with Matt Riddle was great too.

petril

Timothy

Smackdown was fun.

But that wildcard rule is stupid and very confusing. Uso's competing for the SD titles. Four RAW superstars allowed but more show up. Lazy bad confusing writing.

D Bry and Rowan new tag champs.

up_the_hampipe

Matt Hardy's acting when he saw Lars Sullivan last night was hilariously atrocious

https://youtu.be/TpkjEOB4tgE?t=65