Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

up_the_hampipe

Deanjam

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 16, 2019, 06:24:59 PM
Hold off on the worry. It seems this is just TMZ being shit https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1129070551048380416?s=21

I should've known. Bunch of cunts. Still, better it's not true.

Ja'moke

Bliss out of the MITB ladder match, not medically cleared to compete. Worrying that this seems to be happening a lot to her.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1129054919657496579?s=19

Timothy

Nikki Cross is going to win it, isn't she.

up_the_hampipe

I doubt she'll win, but she'll most likely be the replacement.

I wonder if there thinking of putting Bliss as her Manager, being nice to Nikk ibackstage but using her as a Monster in ring.

Mobius

Starting to get really excited for AEW.

WWE have done a lot of the work for them by being total shite.

Curious to see if there'll be new gimmicks or people will bring their existing characters in. Can't wait to see what the production, promos are like.

Wonder how Cody, The Bucks will book themselves!

Will be great to see Pac again.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Mobius on May 17, 2019, 12:44:21 AM
Starting to get really excited for AEW.

WWE have done a lot of the work for them by being total shite.

Curious to see if there'll be new gimmicks or people will bring their existing characters in. Can't wait to see what the production, promos are like.

Wonder how Cody, The Bucks will book themselves!

Will be great to see Pac again.

In the latest BTE The Bucks seem to be teasing the idea that they can use their exectutive VP status to manipulate officials they are recruiting which will be an interesting development. It's such a fine line. It will be absolutely fine for The Elite to debut in AEW as faces with titles but then there has to be a planned progression to get the titles off them as it will only look like company high ups pushing themselves. The longer term potential for a Clique, Hogan, McMahon's, HHH style obsession with inserting themselves into everything (as faces or heel authority figures) has to be a real issue.

I would argue the number one priority for AWE is getting the rest of the roster over as big as possible but its a tricky one. The Bucks/Lucha match is the litmus test and they have kinda booked themselves into a corner already. If Bucks retain then their critics will say they are booking themselves too strong but if they lose then what happens to "wins and loses matter" and the end to 50:50 booking? Going to take some smart long term thinking.

up_the_hampipe

Ashley Massaro has died. Just 39. Awful.

Dannyhood91

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 17, 2019, 01:42:34 AM

Her Twitter was active the day before saying she was going to respond to fan mail. Sad :(

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 17, 2019, 01:40:00 AM
In the latest BTE The Bucks seem to be teasing the idea that they can use their exectutive VP status to manipulate officials they are recruiting which will be an interesting development. It's such a fine line. It will be absolutely fine for The Elite to debut in AEW as faces with titles but then there has to be a planned progression to get the titles off them as it will only look like company high ups pushing themselves. The longer term potential for a Clique, Hogan, McMahon's, HHH style obsession with inserting themselves into everything (as faces or heel authority figures) has to be a real issue.

I would argue the number one priority for AWE is getting the rest of the roster over as big as possible but its a tricky one. The Bucks/Lucha match is the litmus test and they have kinda booked themselves into a corner already. If Bucks retain then their critics will say they are booking themselves too strong but if they lose then what happens to "wins and loses matter" and the end to 50:50 booking? Going to take some smart long term thinking.

I think we probably need to prepare ourselves that AEW isn't going to be perfect and that it's not the end of the world if it's not. They are talking a big game, but anyone who's followed this business know's there's too many variables and too many egos involved in a wrestling promotion for the booking to be perfect. They'll fuck stuff up, they'll push people they shouldn't, they'll be blinded by the star power of ex-WWE guys, management will overestimate their own value, they'll have injuries and disputes with talent. That's inevitable.

What matters is if what's on screen is entertaining enough to be able to ignore all of the inevitable junk that will come with it. If they can produce something along the lines of TNA circa 2005, I'll be more than happy.

For what it's worth, when the Young Bucks were in the main event of All In, the show ran long, so they willingly cut most of their spots out in order to showcase Bandido.

Utter Shit

Without wishing to shit on anything as I know nothing of the build-up to this event and I desperately want it to be great both for its own sake and for the potential galvanising effect it could have on the WWE's shows...I was surprised at how underwhelming the AEW card looked. I'd literally never heard of half the roster, and only three of them (Jericho, Cody and Omega) strike me as obvious main eventers. I'm sure it will improve with time, and presumably Ambrose/Moxley will turn up at this PPV, and maybe it's unrealistic to expect much more just now. Maybe they are more intent on building their own stars.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 17, 2019, 03:03:47 PM
Without wishing to shit on anything as I know nothing of the build-up to this event and I desperately want it to be great both for its own sake and for the potential galvanising effect it could have on the WWE's shows...I was surprised at how underwhelming the AEW card looked. I'd literally never heard of half the roster, and only three of them (Jericho, Cody and Omega) strike me as obvious main eventers. I'm sure it will improve with time, and presumably Ambrose/Moxley will turn up at this PPV, and maybe it's unrealistic to expect much more just now. Maybe they are more intent on building their own stars.

Cards and brands don't draw, stars do. Jericho, Omega, Bucks, Cody, that's the money right now. Ambrose if he's there.

I actually prefer the look of this show to All In, actually, except I don't get the main event. I presume it leads to Omega being back with NJPW somehow given Jericho facing Okada at Dominion and NJPW updating Omega's biography on their site...

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 17, 2019, 03:03:47 PM
Maybe they are more intent on building their own stars.

I think that's the idea. I suppose they have to strike a fine balance between getting enough "stars" and great under-the-radar wrestlers otherwise it just comes off as WWE-lite.

News (or confirmation) for Timothy: FITE TV will show AEW Double or Nothing outside of the USA.  It's available on FITE TV for UK viewers for £14.99 (i.e. same price as on ITV Box Office), but not sure how much it costs outside of the UK.

sevendaughters

If AEW can simply capitalise on what Omega is said to have - a once-in-a-generation organic combination of great work and unscripted personality - then that is enough. People used to watch the Hulk Hogan wrestling, not WWF.

Swoz_MK

Wasn't expecting Divas-style poolside bikini shoots from AEW at all, but here we are
https://www.allelitewrestling.com/post/the-women-of-aew-poolside-photo-shoot

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 17, 2019, 01:42:34 AM

Suicide, apparently

Her death has been strangely affecting, as it conjures up memories of staying up late to watch the live Raws where she won the diva search, and makes you think Christ, was that really 14 years ago?

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, same here. She also had a rough deal with WWE and seemed like a really sweet person. Feel bad for her daughter.

Deanjam

up_the_hampipe

Hangman Page vs. PAC ain't happening at Double or Nothing because of creative differences with PAC https://www.f4wonline.com/news/pac-vs-page-double-or-nothing-due-creative-differences-284076

Not a good sign of things to come.

hummingofevil

Is PAC just a prick then it's or just working the well worn path of protecting himself? It's all well and good refusing to jobs in a company that is proudly proclaiming that "wins and losses" matter but it will be pretty pointless if no one other than Dragon Gate will book him. Any chance this is part of his "bastard" gimmick? Seems off that Page would fly to UK for a match if Benjamin Slatterly is genuinely being an arsehole.

Speaking of which if any of you WON subscribers don't normally listen to FFW with Lance then this week's was rather funny. Lance and Bryan pointlessly arguing about whether "facts are stats or stats are facts" amused me greatly. Lance is a great odd-bod human being.

Actually, what else do people listen to? I listen to Adam and Mike BAN for Japanese stuff and Jim and Fumi. Any other gems on there I miss (or are in archive). Granny is still best voice in wrestling radio though.

Mobius

Hope this is some sort of work because PAC was who I was most looking forward to seeing.

Still you have to love a bit of drama!

Moribunderast

I'm very confused how the promotion of PAC vs. Page got so far without anyone apparently discussing or planning the finish. Meltzer says they pulled the match due to long-term planning and, basically, if PAC wins then logically he has to face Omega or Jericho next - and what if he's still champ then? He has to beat Omega/Jericho?

Which all makes sense, BUT, he was champ when they signed/booked him so this should have been a conversation back then. If they don't want Page losing, book PAC against some midcarder who doesn't require booking protection rather than walking haphazardly into this mess. Hopefully they've learned a valuable lesson in setting boundaries and having clear conditions when dealing with guys who work in (or are champions of) other promotions.

Very disappointed as that match may have been my most anticipated of the night. Hopefully Hangman gets a good replacement opponent. Match will need to be good because the result won't be in doubt!

sevendaughters

it's an odd one. the only way it happens like this in my head is if PAC has gone to DG to hotshot a rating, they put the title on him and then extended his deal with some additional conditions. DG don't play well with others and now AEW is full of ex-DG guys it would probably draw eyes who would see their champ getting beaten.

Timothy

Match off the card because of creative differences and because AEW wants a sportslike atmosphere and had their own ideas for what they wanted out of the match less then a week before the actual PPV airs is not a good sign.

My most anticipated match on the card no less. Disappointing.

Anyone reckons Moxley will replace Pac?

Tonight MITB. My predictions (for anyone who wants to put money on the opposite happening). Winners in bold.:

Daniel Bryan and Rowan (c) vs. The Usos
Revival interfering, costing Usos the match

Roman Reigns vs. Elias

Tony Nese (c) vs. Ariya Daivari

Shane McMahon vs. The Miz
Shane falls off steel cage and wins

Naomi vs. Nikki Cross vs. Natalya vs. Dana Brooke vs. Bayley vs. Mandy Rose vs. Carmella vs. Ember Moon

Sami Zayn vs. Ricochet vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Baron Corbin vs. Ali vs. Randy Orton vs. Andrade vs. Finn Balor
Either Sami or Andrade.

Samoa Joe (c) vs. Rey Mysterio

Becky Lynch (c) vs. Charlotte

Becky Lynch (c) vs. Lacey Evans

MITB cashin by Cross. Cross wins.

Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Kevin Owens

Seth Rollins (c) vs. AJ Styles

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on May 19, 2019, 09:31:00 AM
Match off the card because of creative differences and because AEW wants a sportslike atmosphere and had their own ideas for what they wanted out of the match less then a week before the actual PPV airs is not a good sign.

Not really, you seem to blaming AEW when it looks like PAC was the one who wouldn't play ball. Isn't this is the exact kind of behaviour he got applauded for when he left WWE?